Sunday History Photo / Qld

Submitted: Sunday, Sep 13, 2015 at 08:26
ThreadID: 130272 Views:3719 Replies:5 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Thargomindah is situated along the Adventure Way, 1000 kilometres west of Brisbane. The road is sealed to Thargomindah, with only a 22 kilometre stretch remaining unsealed to the South Australian Border. It is the ideal touring route to or from South Australia via the historic Burke & Wills “Dig Tree” on Cooper Creek at Nappa Merrie Station, and the famous Strzelecki Track and the Flinders Ranges. Gazetted in 1874, shortly after Vincent James Dowling settled “Thargomindah Station” (1864), the town takes its name from an Aboriginal word meaning “cloud of dust”.

Thargomindah is a town in South West Queensland, Australia on the Adventure Way, approximately 1,100 kilometres west of Brisbane, Thargomindah is the administrative centre for the Shire of Bulloo and lies on the Bulloo River. At the 2006 census, Thargomindah had a population of 203.
The town was first settled in the 1860s at a crossing of the Bulloo River. A post office was established in 1870 and a telegraph line connected the town to Cunnamulla in 1881. The 1890s saw the town prosper as the service and administrative centre of a pastoral district.
Willie Low Hing of Thargomindah, Qld - birthplace: Canton, China - departed Brisbane, Queensland on the Australian 29 August 1904

Certificates of Domicile issued under The Immigration Restriction Act 1901 and Regulations,

Thargomindah was one of the first towns in Australia to produce hydroelectric power from 1898 until 1951, which then was taken over by diesel generators until 1988. The town was later connected to the national power grid via Cunnamulla. The old bore was a source of energy when electric street lights were lit and coupled to a turbine driven by the bore's natural water pressure. The generator was taken from a unit powered by a steam engine and purchased by the Bulloo Divisional Board becoming the first municipality owned power plant. The power station is still operating with a daily opening to the public.

The Airport is located near the township. A railway extension to the town was planned for many years, however it never eventuated. The railway did reach Cunnamulla in 1898 and Quilpie in 1917.

Photograph of Jack (Crackerjack) Larkins, at 94 years of age, taken in Brisbane General Post Office museum. He is relating some amusing incidents of his coaching days on the outback mail services to his daughter, Mona Heinemann (holding bugle) of Coorparoo and his niece, Edith London, of Kallangur. Edith's father (Jack's brother) Harry held the Royal Mail contract on the Quilpie-Thargomindah run (129 miles) in 1926.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 13 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Tony H (touring oz) - Sunday, Sep 13, 2015 at 08:40

Sunday, Sep 13, 2015 at 08:40
Thanks Doug,
Another interesting read.

CU down the road...........
Insanity doesnt run in my family.... it gallops!

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 590296

Reply By: Member - Alan H (QLD) - Sunday, Sep 13, 2015 at 08:43

Sunday, Sep 13, 2015 at 08:43
Thanks Doug

We have family connections to the area and usually stop there if going through.

Alan
AnswerID: 590297

Follow Up By: Member - Heather L - Sunday, Sep 13, 2015 at 09:36

Sunday, Sep 13, 2015 at 09:36
Came thru 10 years ago and when asked in Cunnamulla, 'where you come from'?, we answered Thargomindah (because we had stayed the previous night there) to be greeted with the best comment ever on our travels.
"Yer, its dry in Thargo. Heard they had to close one lane of the swimming pool ".
Do hope the present drought is over soon.
Heather
FollowupID: 858297

Reply By: The Landy - Sunday, Sep 13, 2015 at 10:11

Sunday, Sep 13, 2015 at 10:11
Hey Doug

Great read, and always like visiting the town. In my flying days I regularly dropped in there to refuel...

Cheers, Baz
AnswerID: 590301

Follow Up By: aussiedingo (River Rina) - Sunday, Sep 13, 2015 at 11:47

Sunday, Sep 13, 2015 at 11:47
G'day Baz - what did you fly?
"the only thing constant in my life is change"

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 858303

Follow Up By: Life Member-Doug T NSW - Sunday, Sep 13, 2015 at 20:03

Sunday, Sep 13, 2015 at 20:03
aussiedingo...I'll have a guess and say he was flying an aeroplane.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 858328

Follow Up By: aussiedingo (River Rina) - Sunday, Sep 13, 2015 at 20:20

Sunday, Sep 13, 2015 at 20:20
Thanks Doug T - your guess would be probably correct! But when you said you were going for a drive - I bet you would be going on a cattle drive! or a tractor drive, maybe a fund raising drive? only you would know, regards, norm
"the only thing constant in my life is change"

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 858331

Reply By: B1B2 - Sunday, Sep 13, 2015 at 11:28

Sunday, Sep 13, 2015 at 11:28
Nice one Doug,
Our Trakmaster Offroad Caravan Club had their annual gathering there in May this year for one week. We had 93 vans attend, and put $80,000 into the community and surrounding area. Everyone was asked to make a note of spending to get an accurate figure. The pub only had 30 plates, so for our dinner there we ate in shifts.
The local community were very welcoming.
London, Paris, Thargomindah for the first street lighting in the world. The young guide started the bore driven genny for us.
Have a look at the talent of the local school on youtube. The kids put on a show for us at the caravan park and were not a bit shy about it.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=life+in+thargomindah
We had an auction to raise funds for local organisations and then gave out $10,000 to 9 of them.
I would recommend anyone travelling by to call in.
Good to see an old coach driver on your SHP, they still have the old coach crossing of the Bulloo River. Those bloke were tough.

Cheers,
Bill
AnswerID: 590303

Follow Up By: Life Member-Doug T NSW - Sunday, Sep 13, 2015 at 11:38

Sunday, Sep 13, 2015 at 11:38
G'day Bill

Hey that's a good video clip of the kids, thanks mate .

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 858302

Reply By: Member - Peter H1 (NSW) - Sunday, Sep 13, 2015 at 19:11

Sunday, Sep 13, 2015 at 19:11
I was in "Thago" about two months ago. The Roadhouse has closed down and fuel was only available at the Toyota dealer and they shut at 1200 hrs Saturday and don't open until Monday morning,. Nearest fuel in Eulo.

PeterH
AnswerID: 590321

Follow Up By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Sunday, Sep 13, 2015 at 20:40

Sunday, Sep 13, 2015 at 20:40
Is that true Peter? I remember the folks in the roadhouse were really friendly - made a good brekkie there too. Is the tyre place/garage next to it still open?

First time I was in Thargo we arrived with a brace of flat tyres - the young feller in the garage was really helpful. Next time I was in Thargo I arrived with a lost shock nut and a loose shockie. Couldn't raise anyone in the garage so we went round to the Toyota place (I had a Tojo) - honestly - couldn't have been more unhelpful and grumpy. Had to stand my ground to get them to look up the parts catalogue... eventually went to the repair place across the road from the the road-house. The owner there couldn't have been more helpful - spent ages trying (eventually sucessfully) to find a nut that fitted.

FollowupID: 858332

Sponsored Links