Cooking inside a caravan

I would be interested in how people find cooking inside a caravan

Do you have trouble with smell or anything. What sort of exhaust outlets do you have.

Our van has an external pull out cooker but are thinking of moving to a van with internal cooking.

Richard
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Blue M - Wednesday, Sep 16, 2015 at 03:08

Wednesday, Sep 16, 2015 at 03:08
Hi Rich,
I know a lot of people that state they would never cook inside of their van because of the smells etc.
Myself I have always cooked inside our van and use the exhaust fan. Sure you get some smells linger around for a little while, open a window or two for a few minutes, but in general not a problem.
I would say 99% of us cook inside a house without to many worries about the cooking smells.
It is like having a toilet in a van and not using it on the off chance it may smell, or maybe they just don't have the stomach to empty it.

Cheers
Blue
AnswerID: 590398

Follow Up By: Member -Dodger - Wednesday, Sep 16, 2015 at 15:08

Wednesday, Sep 16, 2015 at 15:08
Whilst we like to cook outside in a camp oven we still do most of our cooking inside the van.

So ditto to the above.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 858430

Reply By: Neil & Pauline - Wednesday, Sep 16, 2015 at 05:57

Wednesday, Sep 16, 2015 at 05:57
We cook mostly inside the van. Always use the exhaust fan. I now have a Webber baby Q so do roasts in that, even at home. Saves cleaning the oven and does a better job.

Neil
AnswerID: 590399

Reply By: Member - Rich - Wednesday, Sep 16, 2015 at 06:31

Wednesday, Sep 16, 2015 at 06:31
Many Thanks for comments. We can't do it currently so have no experience.

The exhaust fan seems to be the critical thing.

Having the ability to cook outside as well for those particularly smelly things is also a bonus

Rich
AnswerID: 590400

Reply By: pop2jocem - Wednesday, Sep 16, 2015 at 08:44

Wednesday, Sep 16, 2015 at 08:44
We have the facilities to cook inside our van with an exhaust fan. As we mostly use caravan parks nowadays 240v power is readily available. We have bought an electric fry pan with a high lid and do most of our cooking with that outside on a table under the awning. If there is a howling wind or whatever we can cook inside.
I guess whether cooking smells bother you is an individual concern. Many say that cooking in a house is no different to cooking in a caravan. I would ask them, do set your barbecue up in your bedroom??

Cheers
Pop
AnswerID: 590404

Follow Up By: TomH - Wednesday, Sep 16, 2015 at 09:09

Wednesday, Sep 16, 2015 at 09:09
We cooked inside mostly except for meats which we either used a Cobb cooker or a gas BBQ in the annexe.

Van had no smell even after 2 years but then my wife cleans fastidiously.
FollowupID: 858421

Follow Up By: AlanTH - Wednesday, Sep 16, 2015 at 09:20

Wednesday, Sep 16, 2015 at 09:20
Unless the weather is foul I usually cook meats especially lamb, outside, and the "Cook" does veg, rice etc inside. Fan is bloody noisy thing but seems to draw steam out which is good and always at least one window open.
Van still smells great inside after 4 years.
AlanH.
FollowupID: 858422

Follow Up By: Steve - Wednesday, Sep 16, 2015 at 19:49

Wednesday, Sep 16, 2015 at 19:49
A bit silly asking if people bbq in their bedroom. bbq-ing isn't the only type of cooking and I don't know about you but we have a kitchen at home so we don't have to bbq in the bedroom.

One point I haven't seen mentioned is that cooking inside can really warm the place up which is good on a cold day but not a good idea on a hot day. Having just returned from the north with temps in the high 30s we tended to bbq outside or just have something that didn't require cooking.
FollowupID: 858436

Reply By: Member Boroma 604 - Wednesday, Sep 16, 2015 at 09:17

Wednesday, Sep 16, 2015 at 09:17
Gooday,
Like others, any grilling etc is always done outside on the Baby Q BB'Q, all other is done on the 4 burner Gas Stove.
We turn on the exhaust fan which sure does help, also we have a large window over the sink which is right beside the cooktop, so have no problem with lingering odours like grilling, they are always pleasant odours anyway, unless something gets forgotten and spoiled.
Cheers,
Boroma604
AnswerID: 590406

Reply By: landseka - Wednesday, Sep 16, 2015 at 09:52

Wednesday, Sep 16, 2015 at 09:52
I always smile when people reckon they won't cook in their van, won't use the toilet, probably don't even use the shower for fear of having to clean it.

Why do you buy huge vans with this stuff in them for?

Save fuel & money, buy a 10' van with a bed in it!

I have seen 1 bedroom flats / units that are smaller than some caravans, people have no qualms about cooking & crapping in them. Go figure.

Cheers Neil
AnswerID: 590408

Reply By: 2517. - Wednesday, Sep 16, 2015 at 10:48

Wednesday, Sep 16, 2015 at 10:48
To me it like having Leather Seats and putting seat cover on.
AnswerID: 590410

Reply By: Member - Sue & Joe L (QLD) - Wednesday, Sep 16, 2015 at 13:19

Wednesday, Sep 16, 2015 at 13:19
Hi Rich, we are into our second year of our new van, like others I do roast's pizzas potato bakes all in the oven .The 4 burner gas I do most of the steamed veggies . On occasion I have brought out the fry pan but only if weather is bad. (We have a pull out BBQ we use all the time when the weather allows.) Have the overhead fan going and window over sink open . We have no food cooking smells (still has the new van smell). Also I have not covered up the leather seats either! Clean up after and it's the same as being at home.
Hope this helps.
Regards Sue ,Happy Travelling to everyone.
AnswerID: 590412

Reply By: Member - Rich - Wednesday, Sep 16, 2015 at 14:24

Wednesday, Sep 16, 2015 at 14:24
Thanks all for your responses.

Rich
AnswerID: 590415

Reply By: Notso - Wednesday, Sep 16, 2015 at 16:37

Wednesday, Sep 16, 2015 at 16:37
I usually find cooking inside the van by seeing all the smoke coming from the exhaust fan! Anyhow we cook inside and out, outside when the weather permits as I enjoy it much more outside. Smells can be an issue, but cleaning isn't a great burden.

Whatever way you cook, just have fun and enjoy the experience.
AnswerID: 590417

Reply By: Member - Will 76 Series - Wednesday, Sep 16, 2015 at 19:10

Wednesday, Sep 16, 2015 at 19:10
We have a very comfortable camper cross over but all the cooking is on the outside. My wife and often find it amusing to see these massive vans with everything in them but people cooking outside on $25 KMart single stove burner because they do not like the smell of cooking in the van. I think most people in the thread have nailed it with cooking the meat outside if possible as that is where the smell is. Personally I love cooking outside regardless of the weather conditions under the awning on my 4 burner stove which is close to the fridge.
AnswerID: 590421

Reply By: Slow one - Wednesday, Sep 16, 2015 at 19:42

Wednesday, Sep 16, 2015 at 19:42
Richard,
on our side of the coin we cook inside and out of the van. Baby Weber for barbies and stove for van.

The smell doesn't bother either of us and we have just cooked up 5 days of meals in the van this afternoon for freezing. The smell never lingers in our van so I can't see a problem.

We only have a small house and the cooking smells never worry us there either.

Just enjoy your travels and cook inside all you like, that will tell you if the smell worries you.

AnswerID: 590426

Reply By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Sep 16, 2015 at 23:24

Wednesday, Sep 16, 2015 at 23:24
I always cook on the caravan stove Richard. We don't carry any bulky or heavy outdoor or electrical cooking equipment.

We do not have a range hood or extractor fan, but no different to the smells when cooking in a house - and they usually have the troops running "What's cooking - that smells so good. When's tea ready?".

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 590434

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Thursday, Sep 17, 2015 at 13:17

Thursday, Sep 17, 2015 at 13:17
Richard,

Back in the '80's we lived in a van on stations in western Qld & NT, for 6 years, and did most if not all the cooking inside the van. We were running a small earthmoving plant, and my wife often cooked for our offsiders as well.

The purchase of a microwave oven helped keep temps down in warmer weather, but cold winter days were always cosy. Can't remember the smells being overpowering, or lingering too long.

As we were often working 24/7, we didn't muck about with outdoor cooking, and Webers weren't invented back then? Had enough to pack up as it was, as we were moving camp every 4-5 days.

Do remember one warm July afternoon, we had some corn meat cooking, and the inside of the van got up to 110 deg F, even with all the windows open. :-)

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 590449

Reply By: Member - John and Lynne - Thursday, Sep 17, 2015 at 21:29

Thursday, Sep 17, 2015 at 21:29
After years of tents and campers the best thing about our first van was actually being able to cook inside! We can be safely tucked up behind screens and away from flies and mozzies or protected from rain, wind or dust! Now we enjoy cooking outside on a campfire or BBQ when it suits us and the weather and insect life are pleasant. Otherwise we are happy to use our very efficient gas stove inside. We have no problem with smells -a bit of sensible ventilation and a reasonable amount of cleaning are all that is required - just like at home! Lynne
AnswerID: 590457

Reply By: Member - Kevin S12 - Saturday, Sep 19, 2015 at 21:11

Saturday, Sep 19, 2015 at 21:11
Hi Rich, you've had some good feedback on this. I have a 4m van and usually cook inside and have an exhaust fan. Never had any problems with smell and often forget to turn the fan on. Go for it, it'll be ok!!
AnswerID: 590486

Reply By: Member - Rich - Sunday, Sep 20, 2015 at 10:00

Sunday, Sep 20, 2015 at 10:00
Thanks all for great response

Richard
AnswerID: 590505

Sponsored Links