Michelin or Cooper Tyres?

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 15, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1303 Views:3503 Replies:2 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hello there,
I bought a Toyota Landcruiser HJ60 Tdi, 1986 for a long trip (about a year). We definitely want good tyres. We go through mud, sand, rock and some highway.

Which tyres do you recommend us? Michelin or Cooper? And which type? What kind of experience do you have with these tyres?

All information welcome,
Marre

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: winaje - Saturday, Jun 15, 2002 at 00:00

Saturday, Jun 15, 2002 at 00:00
Hi, would definitely recommend Cooper ST's over Michelin's. Firstly they are significantly cheaper, and they are FAR better off road. See if you can get the Light Truck type, as they have stronger sidewalls. The only downside of the Cooper's is marginally less adhesion in wet conditions, but this is easily compensated for.

Hope this helps, Bill Church
AnswerID: 4196

Follow Up By: Skippyking - Saturday, Jun 15, 2002 at 00:00

G'day Bill,
You say marginally less adhesion in wet conditions. I would have thought they would push the water out with that aggressive tread pattern making them better in the wet. Could you clarify what you mean as I am interested to know. Was considering ST's when the Coopers HT's wore out. Cheers. SK
FollowupID: 1811

Follow Up By: Winaje - Saturday, Jun 15, 2002 at 00:00

Hi Skippyking. The ST's are quite an aggresive tread pattern, and as such they have less rubber on the road than the michelins. The michelins also have large longitudinal channels that pump the water out, whereas the ST's have "y" shaped blocks that are great for mud/rock etc, but don't push the water out quite as well as the long straight channels. Realistically though, this has never been a problem unless I pushed my vehicle pretty hard around a round about for instance.

Hope this helps,

Bill Church
FollowupID: 1812

Follow Up By: David - Saturday, Jun 15, 2002 at 00:00

Bill,

I have heard that the ST's are noisy on the tarmac when compared with other brand AT's, how do you find them ?
Cheers
David

FollowupID: 1814

Follow Up By: Winaje - Saturday, Jun 15, 2002 at 00:00

Hi David, I find the extra noise to be at a very low level, mainly from about 70 kph up. I personally feel that the extra noise is more than compensated for by the extra usefulness of the Cooper ST's. Hope this helps, Bill Church
FollowupID: 1815

Reply By: Kezza - Sunday, Jun 16, 2002 at 00:00

Sunday, Jun 16, 2002 at 00:00
For what its worth - have been comparing a few tyres lately on some nissan patrols (Bridgestone Desert Duellers Cooper AT BF goodrich ATs and BFG MTs) mainly comparing wet performance and mud rock and sand, very impressed with the new BFG Mud terrains KM series they are a softer but tougher tread compound but more of it and seem to leave the Bridgestones looking dangerous in the wet and not much different to the coopers and the BFG ATs Most impressive is the sidewall tread which makes sand bogging virtually impossible - we had to literally bog the vehicle 1st in 2wd to the axles then in 4wd to sink the front axle then by simply rocking back and foward they lifted the 2.5 tonne patrol straight out.
They seem to be destined for between 60,000ks and 80,000 also jhave done lots of sharp rock work on central qld coast with no sidewall damage, Personally Id take them around and through australia before anything else. Highway noise not as bad as older MTs and highway performance is good - just depends on the driver I guess.
There are lots of good tyres around and lots of stories about how easily punctured they are. Just do lots of homework as I have and make your own decision Just my own observations (after all its a $1000 investment and worth being very objective about.)
kez
AnswerID: 4215

Sponsored Links