Dual Battery is it really needed

Submitted: Wednesday, Sep 16, 2015 at 23:22
ThreadID: 130304 Views:3279 Replies:6 FollowUps:14
This Thread has been Archived
Hi. We are looking at dual battery system. Have a dMax and will be getting new Starcraft outback pop top with 150w solar on roof.
The question is why do we need a dual battery at all. Fridge running off gas.
What benefits will a dual battery system give us.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Been-Everywhereman - Thursday, Sep 17, 2015 at 06:13

Thursday, Sep 17, 2015 at 06:13
We keep a lot of fridge/freezer stuff in our car fridge because the van fridge isn't big enough and without a second battery where would the overnight fridge power come from? It is also piece of mind in case a battery is ever flat.
AnswerID: 590435

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Friday, Sep 18, 2015 at 10:23

Friday, Sep 18, 2015 at 10:23
Dotto We also added a second fridge and third battery under the bonnet to give us a pair for all the 4WD stuff including, but not limited to, two fridges, driving lights, camp lights, charging kids toys etc etc. We can easily camp up for three days without any charging needed.

Freedom.

Phil
FollowupID: 858483

Reply By: vk1dx - Thursday, Sep 17, 2015 at 08:23

Thursday, Sep 17, 2015 at 08:23
we travel solo and do a greater majority of our trips in remote areas. The car came standard with two batteries. The car starts and runs one one but it has two for starting reliability. Especially in the cold high country and sometimes in the snow it needs quite a bit more oomph to start. (for the purests - like that word?)

I wouldn't want to try and start it on a sub zero morning with just one battery. You could end up flattening it and if you were say in the Simpson you may not see another car for days. Just like we did on the Madigan Line last month. No car or person for five days. And it was sub zero at night a few times.

We also carry two fridges with one as a freezer. So to camp for three days we needed the extra battery. It was easier to put the third under the bonnet than carry a large solar panel. We are way over the standard GVM withours now at 3700Kg. We can easily stay remote for a month if we wish.

Phil
AnswerID: 590438

Follow Up By: Ross M - Thursday, Sep 17, 2015 at 08:47

Thursday, Sep 17, 2015 at 08:47
Actually there is no more OOOMPH, two batteries just retain the standard amount of OOOOMPH.
You only notice the lack of OOOOMPH when it isn't there.
Technically it is called cranking ability. Ability to retain and deliver battery current without excessive loss of voltage.
FollowupID: 858443

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Thursday, Sep 17, 2015 at 09:19

Thursday, Sep 17, 2015 at 09:19
There has to be someone!!!!!

And to approximate with two identical batteries:

When in parallel one could say double the current.
When in series one could say double the voltage.

That can never be explained as "no more OOMPH"

Other than that does it really matter. I can just picture some of the purists, sitting on the sand dune or snow mogul beside the car when it doesn't start and playing with the mathematics of it all and after reams of calculations one says to his freezing wife "Yep one is flat!".

Phil
FollowupID: 858444

Follow Up By: Tim - Thursday, Sep 17, 2015 at 20:48

Thursday, Sep 17, 2015 at 20:48
Not a diesel jackaroo is it?
Tim
FollowupID: 858466

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Thursday, Sep 17, 2015 at 22:54

Thursday, Sep 17, 2015 at 22:54
Which one? Mine? 100 series 4.2td.

Phil
FollowupID: 858470

Follow Up By: 671 - Thursday, Sep 17, 2015 at 23:43

Thursday, Sep 17, 2015 at 23:43
Phil

I have a second battery in my 4wd but not for starting. I have lived for five years well up in the Snowy Mountains not far below the permanent snow line. We always got the occasional two or three day period of snow each year. I never had a problem starting my car (a 2wd at that time) on its single battery.

I was working for a Government Dept. We had a mixture of diesel Troop Carriers, Coaster buses, a small Mitsubishi tip truck and a couple of 2wds. It was common to have to throw water on the windscreen to melt the ice each morning but all had the standard size single battery and all started easily.

I
FollowupID: 858471

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Friday, Sep 18, 2015 at 08:43

Friday, Sep 18, 2015 at 08:43
Neither did I in 20 years driving with the Army. But there was always someone around that you could rely on. Even if it was just a few kms down the road.

We mainly travel solo so there isn't anyone around to help if a battery breaks, as they do in badly corrugated places. It's for insurance. I have been on enough convoy trips where someone in the group has had batteries issues. Never us.

Here is an example that you may understand.

The last time I had a flat tyre was at Oran Park in spring of 1969. Yes - no lie. And you better believe it that the girl who owned the car, now my wife, was adament that she would change the tyre, not any "bloke". And she did.

Last month we went for a solo (single car) drive along the remote and isolated Madigan Line in the Simpson. It took quite a few phone calls to get permission to do a solo drive. But we got it. We didn't see another person or vehicle between Old Andado, the Hay River Track and Poepells corner in the whole of eight days. It wasn't until well after we got back on the popular tracks that we met anyone. Get the picture - isolated and having to rely on the car, that it will get us through.

Did I leave my spare tyre at home, because I have never needed one. Not on your horses. In fact we purchased another tyre carrier for the rear, took two full spares.

That's why our car came factory standard with two batteries. Just to be on the safe (reliable) side. And we put an extra one in for the camping luxuries that like we take.

cheers

Phil
FollowupID: 858479

Reply By: KevL64 - Thursday, Sep 17, 2015 at 08:29

Thursday, Sep 17, 2015 at 08:29
If you don't have a 12v fridge in the dmax, you most likely don't need a dual battery.
AnswerID: 590440

Reply By: aussiedingo (River Rina) - Thursday, Sep 17, 2015 at 08:56

Thursday, Sep 17, 2015 at 08:56
G'day, just get a purple 1900 jump battery from Supercheap Auto, I have had one for years! It is a second battery for anything, charges from cig. lighter socket (no fancy wiring needed) comes already with 2 cig. sockets, usb port, solar charge socket, work light also 240v charger - so the unit is a dual battery for anything. hoo roo, norm
"the only thing constant in my life is change"

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 590442

Reply By: Bigfish - Thursday, Sep 17, 2015 at 09:37

Thursday, Sep 17, 2015 at 09:37
You wont be able to run fridge whilst travelling. You might as well sell the solar panel. Lighting in pop top will be ...? gas?

Just fit a large AGM battery in the pop top and charge from solar with a heavy duty lead from the main battery via an Andersen plug on tow bar. Personally I,d opt for a dual battery. Recharging, cameras, lighting, radio/small tv etc . Also nice to have a back up if main battery drops dead unexpectedly. $500 for a battery and set up is cheap peace of mind..
AnswerID: 590446

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Thursday, Sep 17, 2015 at 18:13

Thursday, Sep 17, 2015 at 18:13
The OP said "Starcraft outback pop top with 150w solar on roof" - Would not that come with a battery. Dual batteries generally refer to a second battery in the tug.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 858457

Reply By: HKB Electronics - Thursday, Sep 17, 2015 at 10:05

Thursday, Sep 17, 2015 at 10:05
Hi,

You'll most likely have a battery in your new van to run things like lights, stero, possibly TV, water pump etc when free camping.

For those items when free camping providing you manage your power usage and get enough sunshine on your panel you should be able to manage without the dual battery setup. If the battery starts to get low then an overnighter on a powered site to recharge the battery will be required.

Normally you'll have power from the car running to the three way fridge to power it while travelling and it is important that you have some type of disconnection device to disconnect the fridge when the car is not running.

Dual battery setups up are good for extended stays in inclemant weather and for coping withhigh demand setups, ie running two way compressor type fridges and portable fridge freezers etc.

Also worth considering a dual battery setup if your going to have radios and other accessories that could be accidentally left on and flatten the cranking battery. You could connect these devices through a low voltage cutout, but I always like to keep these devices off the cranking battery so as to keep it in maximum state of charge for starting.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 590447

Follow Up By: ian.g - Thursday, Sep 17, 2015 at 11:11

Thursday, Sep 17, 2015 at 11:11
Good, clear, easy to understand reply, many should take notice.
Regards
Ian
FollowupID: 858448

Follow Up By: Bigfish - Thursday, Sep 17, 2015 at 18:35

Thursday, Sep 17, 2015 at 18:35
Good replies often the result of good information is requested and when we are not left to assume...
FollowupID: 858458

Follow Up By: Member - backtracks - Thursday, Sep 17, 2015 at 19:44

Thursday, Sep 17, 2015 at 19:44
Nope. Don't need a second battery , fitted anyway. I carry a second smaller battery packed away for emergency ( true I have a car like motor that doesn't need a big battery ). Never had to use it. I have a 12 volt fridge and usual lighting everywhere. Done solo Anne beadell and gunbarrel. Also heaps of Simo trips with others. If I stopped for 2-3 days I'd maybe start the car for a while. Longer, get a panel.
FollowupID: 858459

Follow Up By: Jenny P8 - Thursday, Sep 17, 2015 at 20:16

Thursday, Sep 17, 2015 at 20:16
Thanks all, it's just that we had quote for dual battery kit $199. Battery UL120 $449. Ctek DC- DC $419. And started thinking why do we need this. Yes we have battery in caravan and brand new D MAX. Safety wise could be good to have another maybe smaller and mounted under the bonnet will do.
Appreciate all replies. It's hard to get your head around everything, and planning on doing the lap next year. We also have generator.
FollowupID: 858461

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Thursday, Sep 17, 2015 at 21:29

Thursday, Sep 17, 2015 at 21:29
If you have a second battery in your van there is much less/no necessity for a second one under the bonnet.

If you get stuck with a flat cranking battery you can always use your van one to get you going which is the most critical aspect of the second battery

Be mindful also of not loading unnecessary weight to your setup as it can be detrimental to you as well.
FollowupID: 858469

Follow Up By: Member - Warren H - Friday, Sep 18, 2015 at 11:42

Friday, Sep 18, 2015 at 11:42
Second batteries aren't always insurance anyway. I had some colleagues doing soil survey work in the Dalrymple Shire (west of Townsville around Charters Towers) a few years ago and the corrugations killed several battery isolators. They tried all the brands, the best they could buy. Admittedly this was the mid nineties, but circuit board construction - dry joints, cracks is probably no better now. In the end they always parked the (manual Cruiser traybacks) vehicles on a slope if they could and eventually after talking to a few army mates, changed to manual switches which were only prone to memory fails.
NT Pajero
2007 Goldstream Crown

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 858485

Sponsored Links