Coffin Bay

Submitted: Friday, Sep 18, 2015 at 14:51
ThreadID: 130321 Views:1683 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, I'm looking at heading to Coffin Bat National Park to camp with the family around the end of Jan '16. Can anyone tell me how busy it is this time of year? More specifically how would myself self and possible 3-4 other families go getting a camp site at Black Springs together?

Also potentially there could be a couple of soft roaders coming along. Would they make it through with nothing more then lower tyre pressures?

Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Odog - Friday, Sep 18, 2015 at 17:39

Friday, Sep 18, 2015 at 17:39
Hey Kym
We were there 18 months ago, drove in only as far as black springs, was quite soft deep sand in places, and long stretches..
We were a bit surprised to see a caravan in there, not a fancy off road one either.. Think they were in a patrol or 80 series's...
There were half a dozen camping areas, in bays I think, really nice spot, would have liked to stay there, but had the camp trailer set up in Coffin Bay, and we're just doing day outings from there..
Lots of bees... Need to put water in a bowl, and place away from camp..
When you get to the gate, let your tyres down, don't be conservative... It is very soft..
If you have a small tinny, or kayaks, take them!!!
Memory cove is brilliant if you have a chance, need to book with national parks to get in there.. Same deal with bees!.. It's south of Port Lincon...
Hope you have a great trip n safe travels.. Cheers Odog
Some people want it to happen, some people wish it could happen, others make it happen!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 590476

Reply By: RobAck - Friday, Sep 18, 2015 at 18:08

Friday, Sep 18, 2015 at 18:08
Peak time for the locals and visitors. Expect to not be alone and be very well prepared for lots of soft sand. Black Springs is an pretty easy run as long as the tide is out. If in be ready to drive through wheel deep salt water as you cross several tidal salt flats. It will be hot so ensure lots of drinking water and shade. The soft sections of the track to black springs can be quite chopped up regardless of time of year so your soft roaders should be OK but clearance can be a challenge but it is sand so not as bad as rocks

Apart from that a truly wonderful spot

Rob
AnswerID: 590477

Sponsored Links