This is why 4wds get a bad name.

Submitted: Sunday, Sep 20, 2015 at 10:44
ThreadID: 130338 Views:3651 Replies:11 FollowUps:20
This Thread has been Archived
This is why 4wders get banned and locked out of areas. See THIS news article.

We are our own worst enemy - not the greenies.

Might only be a small minority of 4wders but their impact is full on.
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Member - ACD 1 - Sunday, Sep 20, 2015 at 10:55

Sunday, Sep 20, 2015 at 10:55
Absolutely disgraceful!

However, just because the had a 4WD doesn't make them '4wders' any more than owning a Harley makes you a bikie.

I don't and won't class these animals amongst the group of people I associate with.

I hope a witness is located and they are bought to justice.

Cheers

Anthony
AnswerID: 590506

Follow Up By: garrycol - Sunday, Sep 20, 2015 at 11:33

Sunday, Sep 20, 2015 at 11:33
You are totally correct but that is not the way NPs, the authoriites and greenies see it - a 4wd was involved so all 4wders are tarred with the same brush.
FollowupID: 858516

Follow Up By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Sunday, Sep 20, 2015 at 14:07

Sunday, Sep 20, 2015 at 14:07
Not excusing the behaviour, however:

" 4wd was involved so all 4wders are tarred with the same brush."

change 4wd to greenies and you'd have a lot of members on this page.
FollowupID: 858531

Reply By: Bigfish - Sunday, Sep 20, 2015 at 11:18

Sunday, Sep 20, 2015 at 11:18
I would be very happy to administer the punishment in the form of a lead slug to the scums head...
AnswerID: 590507

Reply By: Mick O - Sunday, Sep 20, 2015 at 12:04

Sunday, Sep 20, 2015 at 12:04
OK a little bit of objectiveness required please people. Sensationalism tends to bring out the worst in some of us. The report says thus;

"Witnesses have told police they saw a white four-wheel drive driving around the area throughout the night but no-one saw the animals being killed."

One thing I've always been told about making an assumption...."You make an ass out of u and me".

An inference may be drawn from the story as presented but it is only an inference. Time and time again we see things pan out totally different to the way things have been "reported".

This is a senseless, cruel act perpetrated by unknown morons. Hopefully the authorities will apprehend the culprits and the full weight of the law applied.

Until then objectively and reasoned responses and less sensationalism might be a distinct advantage.

My thoughts

Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 590509

Follow Up By: garrycol - Sunday, Sep 20, 2015 at 12:14

Sunday, Sep 20, 2015 at 12:14
OK then - so 10 wombats up and died all by themselves with vehicle impact wounds on them.
FollowupID: 858517

Follow Up By: Steve in Kakadu - Sunday, Sep 20, 2015 at 12:22

Sunday, Sep 20, 2015 at 12:22
garrycol, read Micks response again that is not what he said, I agree with him entirely.
FollowupID: 858518

Follow Up By: Member - ACD 1 - Sunday, Sep 20, 2015 at 12:49

Sunday, Sep 20, 2015 at 12:49
Mick

I see the point you are making.

Just because a White 4WD was seen driving around at the time - doesn't make them the culprits.

Although I stand by my comments that if they were in fact the ones responsible, just because they drove a 4WD doesn't make them part of the 4WD fraternity any more than going to McDonald's makes you a hamburger.

Still hope those responsible are caught and prosecuted.

Cheers

Anthony

FollowupID: 858522

Follow Up By: Mick O - Sunday, Sep 20, 2015 at 13:06

Sunday, Sep 20, 2015 at 13:06
Hi Gary, no that's not what I said. Take a deep breath mate and read my response again...carefully. You have jumped to exactly the same conclusions you made with the article in the newspaper.

I have no doubt that 10 wombats were killed in a senseless act of cruelty. The anecdotal evidence offered in the article is that they were killed by a vehicle. I'll accept that as a given.

The most tenuous assertion is that there was a white 4x4 seen in the area therefore they did it which is what you assert; the paper does not.

All I'm saying is don't be so rash in your judgement, read carefully and read objectively. Sensationalism does nothing but hide truth.

Have a great weekend.

Mick
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 858525

Follow Up By: garrycol - Sunday, Sep 20, 2015 at 13:21

Sunday, Sep 20, 2015 at 13:21
Whatever - my point is that the report says a 4wd is in the area so by association all opponents of the 4wd fraternity will use this as ammunition against 4wders irrespective whether they are involved or not.
FollowupID: 858528

Follow Up By: Mick O - Sunday, Sep 20, 2015 at 14:03

Sunday, Sep 20, 2015 at 14:03
No they won't.

Cheers
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 858530

Follow Up By: Bigfish - Sunday, Sep 20, 2015 at 18:26

Sunday, Sep 20, 2015 at 18:26
Police have stated that they were killed by a vehicle. Undoubtedly a 4wd. A normal car wouldn't last long just hitting 1 of these creatures. Whoever it was I hope that they get caught or else have a very serious accident. KARMA...Like much other scum in society who know right from wrong but choose to do wrong they need a dose of their own medicine.
FollowupID: 858543

Follow Up By: The Landy - Monday, Sep 21, 2015 at 06:19

Monday, Sep 21, 2015 at 06:19
I think the same mistake is being made here that is often made. A four-wheel drive is a type of vehicle, not a type of person. There are plenty of four-wheel drives driven by people who would not be classed as four-wheel drivers.

The person(s) who committed this act are sadistic "bastards", regardless of what they were driving!

Baz - The Landy
FollowupID: 858554

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Monday, Sep 21, 2015 at 10:59

Monday, Sep 21, 2015 at 10:59
"objectivity and reasoned responses and less sensationalism might be a distinct advantage"??????????????

Are you kidding Mick??????

Since when did objectivity and reason play any part in stirring people up and selling media stories, whether they be printed or electronic??????

Sensationalism????? Now that will get the blood pressure and heart rate up and pumping.

As far as cleaning up wombats goes, anyone ever seen the damage hitting one of them at a speed that can cause serious injury or death to the animal, does to the vehicle. I don't think many commercially available common 4WD's would survive hitting one or two let alone ten.

Having said that, if what has been reported in this article is even a nodding acquaintance with really what occurred, I agree a long roasting over a slow fire would be an appropriate punishment.

Cheers
Pop
FollowupID: 858564

Reply By: The Bantam - Sunday, Sep 20, 2015 at 12:45

Sunday, Sep 20, 2015 at 12:45
what we got here is an example ..... not a single event and not restricted to 4wds or animal cruelty.

We have a society where we simply do not provide children with a concept of consequence of their actions & I'm not just talking about spanking children ...... there is very much a concept that disobediance and disorder in children is somehow cute and harmless.

We also have a society that does not demand decent behaviour and responsibility from teenagers.

Then we present adults with a set of increasingly rigid laws combined with harsh penalties ..... with pretty much no chance of being caught for things that realy matter.
This is pretty much due to govrenments not funding inspectors and enforcement purely for the sake of upholding the law.

we are now in the secod and third generation of this foolishness ..... and the incident iin question is the result ........ not a thing to do with 4wds or bushland access which is where pointless actonl will be taken.

cheers

AnswerID: 590512

Follow Up By: Gramps - Sunday, Sep 20, 2015 at 14:36

Sunday, Sep 20, 2015 at 14:36
No guarantee they were children/teenagers/young adults etc etc. May have been feral adults :). Crikey Bantam, they could have been our age.

Regards
FollowupID: 858535

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Sunday, Sep 20, 2015 at 14:52

Sunday, Sep 20, 2015 at 14:52
did I say they where teenagers?

There are those in pretty much all levels of society that have no fear of consequence and little concept of right and wrong .... as I say into the second and third generation.

cheers
FollowupID: 858538

Follow Up By: Gramps - Sunday, Sep 20, 2015 at 15:33

Sunday, Sep 20, 2015 at 15:33
Never said you did.
FollowupID: 858540

Reply By: Michael H9 - Sunday, Sep 20, 2015 at 19:13

Sunday, Sep 20, 2015 at 19:13
What an absolutely sad state of affairs that is. Those wombats were the main attraction at Bendeela, such a lovely place. There's no hope for us, the sooner they ban us from everywhere the better off the planet will be. I would like to join another species, it's too much of an embarassment to be lumped in with the lowlifes that are capable of such an act. My wife is in tears, I took her there a few months ago to see them.
AnswerID: 590522

Reply By: Gary T7 - Monday, Sep 21, 2015 at 00:08

Monday, Sep 21, 2015 at 00:08
Just because a White 4WD was seen driving around at the time - doesn't make them the culprits.
Could it have been mistaken vehicle at night? Who is to say it was a 4x4 it may well have been a RV 2 wheel drive as there is a lot of 2 wheel drives that look like 4 wheel drives. As for the driver Male or Female or greenie for that matter. No one knows only the offending driver knows who they are. We have a very sad society to do this despicable senseless act. I just hope they catch the person or persons responsible for this act.
AnswerID: 590534

Reply By: vk1dx - Monday, Sep 21, 2015 at 08:12

Monday, Sep 21, 2015 at 08:12
I think everyone here basically feels the same. And I don't mind people saying that they would like to administer the penalty or going off at 4WDers being labelled. It's called "blowing off steam". And among friends - who cares.

Me; I shivered when I read the article. The hairs on my arms crawled when I thought of how they must have felt. Can anyone imagine it. Bugger that.

And a tear formed for the poor animals. This is one reason we have the dash cam. There is always some bad apples in the barrel. Unfortunately I use the plural these days.

So lets not bicker people. Sit back, take a breath, blow off steam and maybe we will have justice one day. Hopefully the sooner the better.

I point the dash cam at where trouble may come from and a notepad and pen sit next to it.

Phil

PS How's that -- me behaving. Another morning in oncology with 3 hours with crap being pumped into me. Got to start properly.
AnswerID: 590538

Reply By: pop2jocem - Monday, Sep 21, 2015 at 11:35

Monday, Sep 21, 2015 at 11:35
Some years ago a young apprentice came into work boasting about the weekend accomplishments he and a few of the heroes he hangs about with got up to on a trip to Rottnest Island off the WA metropolitan coast. One of their sources of amusement was engaging in a game of "quokka soccer". In case you are not aware a quokka is a very small, inoffensive animal resembling a wallaby.
I invited him to a game of "apprentice soccer" in which he could be the ball. He declined my offer.

Cheers
Pop
AnswerID: 590542

Reply By: Idler Chris - Monday, Sep 21, 2015 at 12:56

Monday, Sep 21, 2015 at 12:56
Firstly, the news report said a white FWD was seen in the area. Hello, this all happened in the bush so I would suggest that to see a FWD would be normal.

Secondly, all the comments here are by four wheel drives and we are all absolutely revolted by what has happened. The perpetrator is quite clearly not one us.

Thirdly, not much point complaining on this forum, these morons are most unlikely to be visitors to this site. We should be voicing our disgust of type casting four wheel drivers with the journalist and papers that publish it. Write to Kathryn Magann and the ABC and voice your objection to their type casting. If you have email addresses by all means publish them here and encourage others to raise their own objections.
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 590543

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Monday, Sep 21, 2015 at 20:19

Monday, Sep 21, 2015 at 20:19
Bendeela is a sealed road all the way in, then a grassed camping area, many cars using it aren't 4wd's. I think that bogans that used to drive panel vans and utes when I was young now drive old 4wd's. I was nearly cleaned up on tar coming out of Jelore State Forest a while back by 2 old Hilux utes going so fast they couldn't make the corner coming down a winding section and did a 360 onto my side of the road. I ducked off into the scrub and just missed being hit by a ute tray in the driver door. Unbelievably stupid young bogans. We need to get rid of safety measures and let natural selection weed out the idiots, the gene pool is suffering and will only get worse.
FollowupID: 858583

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Monday, Sep 21, 2015 at 22:12

Monday, Sep 21, 2015 at 22:12
That is a very good point Michael, 4wds are a huge vehicle market sector so odds are on that anything that happens there is a good chance they are a 4wd owner and yes no panel vans to drive so 4wd is a popular choice of vehicle with teh younger generation these days.

Bendeela can be easily accessed by any vehicle that is capable of navigating a shopping centre car park
FollowupID: 858589

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Monday, Sep 21, 2015 at 20:17

Monday, Sep 21, 2015 at 20:17
I don't care what they drive or by what method they killed these poor little buggas.
Whoever it was has no mental capacity to be classed as human.

They are harmless Wombats for bleep sake, they are as harmless as they come.
Just morons.
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 590563

Reply By: Nigel Migraine - Tuesday, Sep 22, 2015 at 06:59

Tuesday, Sep 22, 2015 at 06:59
It is also a harsh reminder of the many reasons why it's bad and wrong to feed wild animals and encourage them to hang around campsites... no matter how "cute" they are.

Don't do it!
AnswerID: 590578

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Tuesday, Sep 22, 2015 at 07:21

Tuesday, Sep 22, 2015 at 07:21
I've never seen anyone feed them. They eat the grass of a night, won't let you touch them and basically ignore you. I understand where you are coming from though.
FollowupID: 858593

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Wednesday, Sep 23, 2015 at 12:27

Wednesday, Sep 23, 2015 at 12:27
Nigel the flip side of that is that people get to engage with the animals and gain a respect and desire to protect them rather than just seeing pictures of them on TV.
Agree with the feeding side though but apart from a few idiots like this post is about I don't see what the problem is with the human interaction.

These animals are coming into contact with humans at their own free will which has to be a better option than in a pen at a zoo.
FollowupID: 858652

Follow Up By: Idler Chris - Wednesday, Sep 23, 2015 at 15:05

Wednesday, Sep 23, 2015 at 15:05
Alby the problem is if you feed them they associate the arrival of a vehicle with the possibility of food. They are unable to differentiate between a responsible people and the morons. Feeding wild animals and birds nearly always is far from their long term interest.
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 858658

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Wednesday, Sep 23, 2015 at 15:54

Wednesday, Sep 23, 2015 at 15:54
Yes I agree with you Chris as I said in my post, these animals are hanging around the camp area at their own freewill, I have never seen anyone feed them they just seem to go about their way regardless of human presence.

FollowupID: 858659

Sponsored Links