Camping setup 1 adult 2 kids

Submitted: Saturday, Sep 26, 2015 at 10:42
ThreadID: 130408 Views:1884 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone I thought I'd pop in here and see if I could get some advice.

I recently took my kids (6 & 7) camping on my own and plan to do it more. The only tent I have is the oztrail lodge combo which is huge! It wasnt too bad setting it up but did take a while on my own with some "help" from the kids.

We went for a week and it was great to have the extra room as the mosquitos were terrible and we could use the front part for eating and hanging out.

Now, what i want to figure out is a better setup for short trips/ weekends but could also use for stays of up to a week without the bulk of a huge tent, but also easy to put up. I might be dreaming with that one but its worth a try if anyone has any tips for me!

Has anyone used a small tent for sleeping plus a screen house? Would it be just as bulky and time consuming to do it that way?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John - Saturday, Sep 26, 2015 at 12:53

Saturday, Sep 26, 2015 at 12:53
Shelley, I have had for many years a large mesh pop up, with a cover that can be used if it rains. I have had 4 car loads of people sleep in swags in it, so it is pretty big. It folds up very small, two bags, one for the poles and pegs, the other for the mesh and cover. Very, very, handy when mossies around etc. I haven't seen anything like it around for a long time, only the smaller version. May assist with the eating/relaxing area. Have no idea for the sleeping area, sorry.

Mesh Tent

John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 590760

Reply By: Shelley T1 - Saturday, Sep 26, 2015 at 13:57

Saturday, Sep 26, 2015 at 13:57
Hi John and thanks very much for the reply. The picture of the mesh tent looks great and doesnt look like it would take up too much space. I do think now that it would be the way to go. I could just get an easy dome tent to set up for sleeping and one of these to store all the cooking equipment etc.

That way I suppose I would be prepared for long and short trips. The main thing is to get it all set up quick and have more time for fun. Without compromising on comfort.

Our last trip I had some nearby campers come after us and had their trailers set up with beers out while watching me set up camp for over an hour :)
AnswerID: 590761

Follow Up By: Member - Munji - Saturday, Sep 26, 2015 at 14:06

Saturday, Sep 26, 2015 at 14:06
Shelley

Have a look at the Black Wolf Turbo Lite, They have a good range and they pack up quite small.
Once you have set up a couple of times it is quite easy.

Good luck
FollowupID: 858799

Follow Up By: Member - John - Saturday, Sep 26, 2015 at 15:34

Saturday, Sep 26, 2015 at 15:34
Shelley, not very gentlemanly like, sitting having a beer and watching................ what has the world come too. Good luck.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 858802

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Sep 26, 2015 at 16:59

Saturday, Sep 26, 2015 at 16:59
Hi Shelley

Over the years we have owned a number a quality tents. A good number of years ago, we saw one tent that stood out from the others.

Yes it may need to go on your roof, but no big deal. For us it the best tent we have ever owned and goes up in 30 seconds, and yes you have read correctly.

The tent is non other than the famous OzTent and ours is the RV4 and would have ample room for you and two children.

Do not overlook these fantadtic tents, for us they are the best.

Cheers

Stephen
Simpson Desert Colours

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 590763

Reply By: 322 - Saturday, Sep 26, 2015 at 23:19

Saturday, Sep 26, 2015 at 23:19
We bought the Coleman Instant Up 6 man. We've used it during our trip a couple of times. We did Cape York and Fraser Island with it and it worked very well. Its sets up in a few minutes, fly and all. You can peg it down if you like or the weight of your gear inside will keep it held down. We slept 2 adults and 2 kids on queen blow up mattresses with reasonable comfort. A little more standing room would have been nice, but we coped no problems. Pack up was reasonable with it going back into the bag without to much fuss or dramas. And it was reasonably priced too.
AnswerID: 590775

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (13)