Foxes Lair Narrogin WA

Submitted: Saturday, Sep 26, 2015 at 23:21
ThreadID: 130414 Views:1853 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
If you are interested in flowers, birds etc check out this website. Don't forget to read the blogs. Met the guy and his knowledge is astounding. Lives and breathes flora and the bush with a passion. Some fantastic photos of orchids and other flowering plants as well as birds in the area. Great place to visit. http://www.foxeslair.org
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Ron N - Sunday, Sep 27, 2015 at 13:56

Sunday, Sep 27, 2015 at 13:56
Legendts - That's a neat little spot, and a great website about it. The flower photos are spectacular - and I never even knew there was a red Leschenaultia! Only ever recall seeing the blue variety.
I spent at least 3 decades working around Narrogin and further East, and I never knew this place existed.
It's must be the furtherest or nearly the furtherest place West, where Mallees can be found.

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 590798

Follow Up By: Legendts - Sunday, Sep 27, 2015 at 20:28

Sunday, Sep 27, 2015 at 20:28
Well there you go I didn't know there was a blue one. :-) the red was out but only one small bush and it was being kept watered by the guy who does the website. From memory of what was said to us regarding the Mallees you are right Ron. We spent hours in there and I reckon you could spend days and not see it all. Quite a lot of cowslip orchids in there at the moment but doubt they will last much longer if the hot weather gets to them.
FollowupID: 858853

Follow Up By: Legendts - Monday, Sep 28, 2015 at 14:49

Monday, Sep 28, 2015 at 14:49
Ron, I needed to have a closer look re the Blue Leschenaultia, of course I have seen it as its prolific in the Lair, I just didn't realise it. My wife is the flower "girl" not me, I just do the driving and get told where to go, politely of course. :-) My wife actually found four Rattlebeak Orchids in there today, what a find for her.
Cheers
Jeff.
FollowupID: 858885

Reply By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Sunday, Sep 27, 2015 at 15:02

Sunday, Sep 27, 2015 at 15:02
That's handy I've got to spend a day in Narrogin in a couple of weeks time and exploring the park sure beats reading a book all day.

Cheers

Dunc
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 590801

Follow Up By: Legendts - Sunday, Sep 27, 2015 at 20:32

Sunday, Sep 27, 2015 at 20:32
You will enjoy it Dunc but don't know how many flowers will still be out. If you contact Doug at his website he would be able to tell you what would be out when you visit.
FollowupID: 858854

Reply By: Legendts - Tuesday, Sep 29, 2015 at 13:00

Tuesday, Sep 29, 2015 at 13:00
Also check out their FaceBook site if you are on it. There's a recent find apparently not seen there before of a Rattle Beak orchid and photographed by Alan, a local GP of Narrogin. My wife actually found them, four different plants, and Alan just happened to be walking by so he took some great shots of it and posted them on the Foxes Lair FB site.
AnswerID: 590847

Sponsored Links