Air bag and GPS/ Phone mounts

Submitted: Sunday, Sep 27, 2015 at 11:01
ThreadID: 130421 Views:2089 Replies:2 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
The placement of gps/phone/tyre monitor on dashboards seems to be a personal thing. I have noticed that more and more of these type of gauges/ monitor are becoming the norm.

But has everyone thought about where they are put in regards to the air bags and how it could become a missile in a crash.

Yesterday I noticed in a car park a gps and phone all stuck to the air bag cover for the passenger and thought I would not like to be in that seat.

Now, some cars have side and front bags and wondered if a test has been done to see the effects of a flying gps at speed. Or is there a place on dashboard of the car that is safe to place them without interfering with the airbag.

This is only dashboard mounting, not windscreen mounting that is another subject.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Sunday, Sep 27, 2015 at 11:30

Sunday, Sep 27, 2015 at 11:30
The other item to cause a problem is dash mats, the wrong mat could stop the passenger airbag from deploying properly. I have never really worked out what purpose they serve. And ofter you see front seat passengers with their feet up on the dash. Who knows what the airbag would do if it were to open. Anything behind the steering wheel should be ok as the bag comes forward. Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 590787

Follow Up By: Bigfish - Sunday, Sep 27, 2015 at 11:41

Sunday, Sep 27, 2015 at 11:41
Dash mats can stop the dash(being plastic) from getting very hot. They can also stop the dash from cracking due to the build up of heat that dries the plastic out. They can also serve to make the interior look better rather than an unsightly sea of plastic as some dashes are. Had them on every vehicle I have owned since the mats came out and find them excellent.
FollowupID: 858825

Follow Up By: garrycol - Sunday, Sep 27, 2015 at 11:51

Sunday, Sep 27, 2015 at 11:51
Like air bag compatible seat covers you simply buy a dash cover that is airbag compatible - certainly works on my car.

To the OP -unfortunately common sense is not very common - there is plenty of room to mount these items away from airbags.

At least they will only damage themselves when the air bags go so I don't have a lot of sympathy.

FollowupID: 858826

Follow Up By: TomH - Sunday, Sep 27, 2015 at 12:51

Sunday, Sep 27, 2015 at 12:51
I read an article by a Trauma Surgeon who said that people with their knees wrapped around their ears usually have trouble walking and the prime reason they get like that is having feet on dashboard when an airbag goes off. some have even had a knee implanted in their face, occasionally spoiling their looks LOL
FollowupID: 858828

Reply By: Swaggie - Sunday, Sep 27, 2015 at 20:12

Sunday, Sep 27, 2015 at 20:12
That's why I use a Ram Mount mounted to my front seat bolt, it holds my Samsung Galaxy Tablet for Oziexplorer etc.. Not a big fan of windscreen mounted stuff, each to there own..
AnswerID: 590803

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Sunday, Sep 27, 2015 at 23:38

Sunday, Sep 27, 2015 at 23:38
Same here Swaggie. They will simply become missiles in any serious accident.

I believe the best one is an in-dash system with the mobile phone in the boot or back seat and using blue tooth for calls.

Phil
FollowupID: 858863

Sponsored Links