Webaso space and water heater combined

Submitted: Wednesday, Sep 30, 2015 at 10:59
ThreadID: 130462 Views:3123 Replies:3 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Webasto has brought out its Dual Top Evo, which is a combined space heater and water heater. This replaces the old furnace/water tank with coil/fan forced water radiator combination and is a lot lighter and more compact.
Is anyone running one of these? If so do you have any comments on how it's working for you?
Cheers,
Keith
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Geoff M (VIC) - Wednesday, Sep 30, 2015 at 12:54

Wednesday, Sep 30, 2015 at 12:54
Hi Keith,
I don't have the Dual Top Evo but have a more compact version which is the Webasto Thermal Top C. This unit heats up gylcol solution to provide instant hot water (water circulated through the gylcol tank) and the gylcol can be circulated through the cabin to provide heating.
We've had the unit for about a year and is has been great. Very compact, and works a treat. Some camper manufacturers offer this unit as an option.

See the Webasto website for more details:
www.webasto.com/au/markets-products/recreational-vehicles/heating-solutions/coolant-water-heaters/thermo-top-c-motorcaravan/

Webasto can provide a kit that includes the diesel unit, coolant tank, heat transfer unit, and associated piping. I got mine fitted by a three-party 4WD outlet in Shepparation (Shepp 4WD Centre).

Cheers, Geoff
AnswerID: 590896

Follow Up By: Member - ACD 1 - Wednesday, Sep 30, 2015 at 13:55

Wednesday, Sep 30, 2015 at 13:55
Also run the Thermo Top C in my trailer.

Very compact, very economical, very quick heat up.

Cheers

Anthony
FollowupID: 858988

Follow Up By: Member - KeithB - Wednesday, Sep 30, 2015 at 13:57

Wednesday, Sep 30, 2015 at 13:57
Thanks Geoff,
I was planning to fit the Thermal Top C, same as you, with the calorifier water tank, coolant header tank and the fan forced heating outlets. But this latest one seems to have replaced the earlier system and it looks much more compact plus a big weight saving.
I am trying to get pricing from Webasto now, but the recommended installer I spoke to has never supplied or fitted one.
If you don't mind me asking, what did your system cost to (a) supply and (b) install?
Cheers and many thanks
Keith
FollowupID: 858989

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff M (VIC) - Wednesday, Sep 30, 2015 at 15:13

Wednesday, Sep 30, 2015 at 15:13
Hi Keith,
I got quite a bit of extra work done such as installing an external shower and flick-mixer in the Trayon, so the price was for more than just the Webasto unit. In round figures, the Thermal Top package cost about $3K and the labor (and extra bits) cost another $1.2K. Supposely the Webasto was supplied "at cost" since the webasto supplier stuffed the installer around.

Hope that helps, and good luck with your install!

Cheers, Geoff
FollowupID: 858998

Reply By: SCUBADOO - Wednesday, Sep 30, 2015 at 14:04

Wednesday, Sep 30, 2015 at 14:04
Is this a new model I don't know about?

We have had a Webasto Dual Top Evo in our motorhome since 2009.

Never missed a beat and very satisfied.

AnswerID: 590900

Follow Up By: Member - KeithB - Wednesday, Sep 30, 2015 at 14:27

Wednesday, Sep 30, 2015 at 14:27
SCUBADOO, maybe it's just new to me.
Keith
FollowupID: 858994

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff M (VIC) - Wednesday, Sep 30, 2015 at 15:20

Wednesday, Sep 30, 2015 at 15:20
My understanding is that it has been around for several years, but Webasto don't push it. It is quite a bit smaller than the Dual Top so it suits applications that have limited space, like mine! It also doesn't have all the features of the Dual Top, such as a thermostat for the cabin heating.
Cheers, Geoff
FollowupID: 859000

Follow Up By: Member - KeithB - Wednesday, Sep 30, 2015 at 15:48

Wednesday, Sep 30, 2015 at 15:48
Geoff,
The very comprehensive manual that Webasto sent me shows a cabin thermostat, which is a nice thing to have. but I think it has a much lower heat capacity due to the reduced volume of stored water.
The old Thermo Top system doesn't seem to be on the Australian Webasto website any more.
Keith
FollowupID: 859001

Follow Up By: SCUBADOO - Wednesday, Sep 30, 2015 at 15:58

Wednesday, Sep 30, 2015 at 15:58
Ours has a cabin heat thermostat. http://tinyurl.com/np56l8h
The 6kw heater output certainly keeps us cosy during our NZ winters.
The 11l water tank volume can be limiting at times but is more than sufficient for a shower. Reheating to 70°C only takes about 15 minutes for the next shower.
An added bonus is the hot water available for dishes etc. during normal cabin heating.

FollowupID: 859003

Reply By: Ozhumvee - Thursday, Oct 01, 2015 at 07:47

Thursday, Oct 01, 2015 at 07:47
The Duotop has been around for quite a few years, I tried to buy one to fit into the Oka when I was setting it up and Webasto wouldn't sell me one as they were only selling them to OEM builders.
I fitted a Thermotop and it has been great but combined with the calorifier tank and the necessary plumbing and seperate heater it does take up a bit of space where the Duotop would have been much more compact. The smaller amount of stored hot water wouldn't have been a problem as you just run the system and it heats as you use it. We've done that quite a few times when a group is after a shower.
AnswerID: 590909

Sponsored Links