Cobargo to Countegany via Wadbilliga River

Submitted: Thursday, Oct 01, 2015 at 21:38
ThreadID: 130472 Views:2062 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all,

We did the above trip 10yrs ago towing an Ultimate off road camper, but neither of us can remember much about the road conditions. As it wasn't alcohol back then, it must be age now!

We no longer have the Ultimate and now have a 19' off road c'van.

Has anyone done this trip recently and, if so, would you consider it suitable for a L/cruiser towing the aforementioned c'van.

Regards,

Ian

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Erad - Friday, Oct 02, 2015 at 06:07

Friday, Oct 02, 2015 at 06:07
We haven't been down that way for quite a while now, but the road is very narrow and quite steep in places. I would be rather concerned about going up that hill with a large van behind me. Yes - I am sure that your vehicle will get there, but what if you meet someone (me?) coming the other way? You would be on the dropoff sideof the road if you were going uphill. You would be in low range for quite a while as well.
AnswerID: 590982

Reply By: Member - Will 76 Series - Friday, Oct 02, 2015 at 07:10

Friday, Oct 02, 2015 at 07:10
Ian I came west to east from Contegany to Cobargo about 4 months ago. It was a nice drive. The road from Cobargo to Yowrie camp area will be no problem, the road is still good to Lake creek, however from there the road narrows west and Conways Gap is narrow in places with a few sharp bends and very little options for vehicles to pass in places. I think the length of the van will be the concern rather than the capability, a couple of these bends will also be quite steep uphill going from the east. My recommendation would be to tow the van to Yowrie creek, then perhaps unhitch and to a recon drive thru Conways gap to Two River Plain/Tuross Road junction (about 25km). The Tuross Rd is excellent no issues. Good luck.
AnswerID: 590987

Reply By: Erad - Friday, Oct 02, 2015 at 08:04

Friday, Oct 02, 2015 at 08:04
I should add that an excellent side trip (not with your van) would be to go to Peak Alone. The road heads north from the Cobargo -Yowrie road, and starts just at the end of the bitumen. It is probably a 5 km each way detour, but the views from the top are incredible. You can actually see Peak Alone from Cobargo - it stands out on the horizon like a dog's thingos.

I agree about leaving the van at Yowrie Creek. The road for most of the trip is OK for the large van, but the narrow parts are really narrow.
AnswerID: 590997

Reply By: Member - Ian G (NSW) - Friday, Oct 02, 2015 at 15:31

Friday, Oct 02, 2015 at 15:31
G'day Erad & Will76,

Many thanks for the replies.

After reading them, it all started to come back to us and we agree that it is not a trip for the van.

I am fairly sure we would make it ok but not fair on other travellers who may be comming the other way.

We have done the Peak Alone trip (without the caravan) on a number of occasions (we live in Narooma) from both Cobargo and Bodalla ends and yes, it is spectacular.

Regards,

Ian
AnswerID: 591044

Reply By: WarrenTC - Sunday, Oct 11, 2015 at 02:19

Sunday, Oct 11, 2015 at 02:19
Can you drive this road in a 2WD?
National Parks website says 4WD but they always err on the side of caution - the photos of the road look like it would be fine for 2WD, my only worry is the 'ford' over the Tuross?
AnswerID: 591448

Sponsored Links