The new format

Submitted: Friday, Oct 02, 2015 at 08:54
ThreadID: 130477 Views:2146 Replies:10 FollowUps:19
This Thread has been Archived
Well it took a bit to get used to "I hate change" but then it all fell into place, everything is there just a different way of getting to it, and is it just me or is the screen a lot better and where is spell check.
Back Expand Un-Read 3 Moderator

Reply By: Notso - Friday, Oct 02, 2015 at 09:49

Friday, Oct 02, 2015 at 09:49
A cleaner looking screen, but I would like a small summary of the replies instead of just the name of the person who submitted it.
AnswerID: 591007

Reply By: Member - wicket - Friday, Oct 02, 2015 at 09:51

Friday, Oct 02, 2015 at 09:51
having to click on each of the replies is an absolute nuisance, will probably be visiting a lot less
AnswerID: 591008

Reply By: outback epicurean - Friday, Oct 02, 2015 at 10:17

Friday, Oct 02, 2015 at 10:17
If it ain't broke don't fix it! Old systems seemed ok to me and hate the need to click on each reply rather than just skim down. Much slower!!
AnswerID: 591010

Follow Up By: deserter - Monday, Oct 05, 2015 at 18:50

Monday, Oct 05, 2015 at 18:50
Yep - its a pain to have to open each reply individually. Is there a way around that ??
FollowupID: 859290

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Monday, Oct 05, 2015 at 19:31

Monday, Oct 05, 2015 at 19:31
Try the expand unread button at the top of the page.
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 859295

Reply By: member - mazcan - Friday, Oct 02, 2015 at 10:27

Friday, Oct 02, 2015 at 10:27
hi
well i find it easy to use and everything seems a lot clearer and open with the open page much larger than it was before i have tried several quik links the threads don't give a lead for reply's from individuals but i have got use to it and now find it ok and i also find the page isn't cluttered up with unwanted adverts which were constant on the right side of the old site yes i'm aware that we could turn them off but they still kept popping up despite that imho it's very good no doubt a few small things may need a tweek along the way depending on others opinions but it's thumbs up from me
cheers
AnswerID: 591011

Reply By: garrycol - Friday, Oct 02, 2015 at 10:27

Friday, Oct 02, 2015 at 10:27
There is a message at the bottom of the page asking why I am not a member - well the format of the old forum and this new forum is part of the reason.

The majority of the forums around the world use the same basic format with all the options many of us have been asking for - why does this site want to do things different. It would not impact the utility of the rest of the ExplorerOz site but make the forum usable.

This new layout is even worse than the last one and we still don't have the utility asked for - just go for a standard forum format like most other forums - why reinvent the wheel.
AnswerID: 591012

Follow Up By: Idler Chris - Friday, Oct 02, 2015 at 22:06

Friday, Oct 02, 2015 at 22:06
Get with the times Garry.
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 859142

Reply By: Member - Broodie H3 - Friday, Oct 02, 2015 at 16:02

Friday, Oct 02, 2015 at 16:02
after playing around a little and I have got over the chicken little saga the sky is falling in because something changed, it is not so bad as I first thought, I would still like to see a spell checker and grammar checker somewhere. David and Michelle congratulations the baby didn't get thrown out with the water, its had a shower and grown up, thank you for all the hard work and sleepless nights.
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 591049

Reply By: Member-Heather MG NSW - Friday, Oct 02, 2015 at 19:20

Friday, Oct 02, 2015 at 19:20
It's working so much better and faster on my mobile phone...Samsung Galaxy S5.. than the previous format did. Will make life so much easier when traveling. I love it!
Regards Heather
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. John Muir

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 591065

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Friday, Oct 02, 2015 at 20:03

Friday, Oct 02, 2015 at 20:03
Well, I like it!!!

Can't believe the number of "dummy spits" yesterday by supposedly mature adults.......it's a work in progress, girls.

What I really, really like is the "click anywhere" on the thread to open it.......much better than that little blue tab. Use an iPad for 80% of my EO browsing, and prior to yesterday's update, it was crashing, sometimes 4-6 times/minute. Since the update, no crashes, quick, responsive and am a happy camper again.

Many thanks, David & Michelle,

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 591067

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Sunday, Oct 04, 2015 at 17:58

Sunday, Oct 04, 2015 at 17:58
I've had a bit of free time these last few days and have given the new-look forum a good look.

I really like it and think it is a great improvement on the old.

I think it is easier to see where additions have been made to a thread that you have been following.

Firstly, the thread is labelled "Updated".

You click on the thread and any new replies, or any replies that have had follow-ups added have the turning circle.

If you're particularly interested in a thread you'll probably remember where Replies and their Follow-ups have got to. If no change, they are marked by an arrow.

If there is a new Reply or any of the old Replies have had Follow-ups added, there is the turning circle.

So it's dead easy to find the new material and it's so much more efficient in terms of screen space and scrolling on a mobile device.

If you want to expand all replies and follow-ups, you can.

If you only want to expand unread stuff, you can. Saves a heap of scrolling of a long thread.

Yep, it's great so far. And with promised improvement and possible additions (edit function :-)) and the return of a couple of lost features (spell check is one) it will only get better.

Well done Team, what a monumental effort.

FrankP

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 591159

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Monday, Oct 05, 2015 at 01:57

Monday, Oct 05, 2015 at 01:57
Agree Frank, I think it's pretty damn good also.
Love the ease to see what's updated.

Great job David.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 859245

Follow Up By: garrycol - Monday, Oct 05, 2015 at 11:18

Monday, Oct 05, 2015 at 11:18
You are easily pleased.
FollowupID: 859254

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Monday, Oct 05, 2015 at 12:40

Monday, Oct 05, 2015 at 12:40
Garry having read all the threads concerning the site changes you appear to be one of very few people who constantly complain about the changes, pretty well without foundation.
My comments above stand, if you're not happy as I see it you really have two choices.
The first is to lump it, the second is to ensure the door doesn't hit you in the arse on the way out.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 859259

Follow Up By: garrycol - Monday, Oct 05, 2015 at 12:53

Monday, Oct 05, 2015 at 12:53
In your opinion
FollowupID: 859261

Follow Up By: Idler Chris - Monday, Oct 05, 2015 at 13:52

Monday, Oct 05, 2015 at 13:52
I agree totally with the comments above by Frank and John, I too are finding the improvements making this site more enjoyable and easier to use. People are entitled to their own opinion, but to suggest that others "are easily pleased" just because they do not agree with their opinion I find quite offensive and not in keeping with respect for others.
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 859269

Follow Up By: garrycol - Monday, Oct 05, 2015 at 14:21

Monday, Oct 05, 2015 at 14:21
As is the comment "The first is to lump it, the second is to ensure the door doesn't hit you in the arse on the way out."

This is a forum where we can express our views and I think that people who like this forum setup are easily pleased as there are is such much better forum software out there that would bring this forum into the 21st century rather than the late 20th century.

If you don't like my comments well I am sorry that is your issue not mine just ignore them.
FollowupID: 859272

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Monday, Oct 05, 2015 at 16:40

Monday, Oct 05, 2015 at 16:40
This website is more than just the forum.
The forum is just one small part and interacts with many other aspects of the site.
This has been pointed out countless times over the years.
Commercial forum software will not work in the way this whole site does.

You access this site for free and no doubt gain much valuable information.
To complain and moan about a product that you get for free, is a poor reflection on the individual in my view.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 859284

Follow Up By: garrycol - Monday, Oct 05, 2015 at 19:41

Monday, Oct 05, 2015 at 19:41
As I said - in your opinion
FollowupID: 859297

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Monday, Oct 05, 2015 at 22:19

Monday, Oct 05, 2015 at 22:19
"You access this site for free and no doubt gain much valuable information.
To complain and moan about a product that you get for free, is a poor reflection on the individual in my view."
I am a non member here too, so maybe my views don't count? But I do consider myself a nett 'giver' rather than 'taker' here.
Take all the non members away from here and it will be a very barren place, in my view and for a commercial operation, that would not be desirable.

As a forum, I reckon it is pretty ordinary in operation, but it looks nice and it is reasonably fast..
If I open a thread, I like to see all posts opened so that the new ones are in context with what has been said before.
I also like to see if I have contributed to a thread before.
Pictures make this forum, yet for a non member that could hardly be more difficult.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
FollowupID: 859305

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Monday, Oct 05, 2015 at 22:33

Monday, Oct 05, 2015 at 22:33
Peter I haven't seen you moaning and complaining like Garry.
There is a difference between valid and worthwhile contribution and someone who says, "you're easily pleased" or " I don't like it"

I made no comment about "views not counting" please don't verbal me.

As for your comments about "pretty ordinary in operation"
I frequent many other forums and would have to disagree, compared to the outdated PHP powered forums which is what most forums are based upon, EO kills them in ease of use, quality of display, interaction between the forum and the site as a whole and finally moderation.
But to each their own.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 859307

Follow Up By: The Landy - Tuesday, Oct 06, 2015 at 13:43

Tuesday, Oct 06, 2015 at 13:43
For all the forums "perceived" shortcomings it doesn't stop people visiting and contributing, even complaining, day in, and day out...

I think the reason is simple, the website is more than just a forum, but an inter-active site with great resources and great people willing to impart invaluable knowledge...

And I rarely see people suggesting that membership status, or non-membership infers any greater or lesser weight to a contribution or viewpoint.

I say, contribute where you can, with what you can, and take away the knowledge shared form this great resource.

To close-off - is it perfect? Well there isn't too much that is perfect in this world (Mrs Landy comes close!) but in the least the EO Team of David & Michelle are improving the site regularly - some of the improvements are "under the bonnet" and may not necessarily be visible to those walking around "kicking the tyres" and making a casual observation...

Cheers, Baz - The Landy

FollowupID: 859326

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Tuesday, Oct 06, 2015 at 16:30

Tuesday, Oct 06, 2015 at 16:30
Great sentiments as usual Baz. I have been amazed at the number of people that have taken a quick look at the new format and then decided they didn't like it without any thought as to why change may have been needed. Anyone who uses facebook will probably know how many FB pages and groups there are about camping 4w driving, caravaning etc - but NONE of those FB sites has the wealth of resources found on this site. But this site - the whole site not just the forum - has to move with the times, and keep up with ever changing technology and user expectations. I say well done to David and Michelle for giving us a wonderful resource that (for better or worse0 most of us keep coming back to for years on end.

Cheers,

Val.
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 859328

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Tuesday, Oct 06, 2015 at 16:43

Tuesday, Oct 06, 2015 at 16:43
One other small point that drives change on this site is the simple fact that David and Michelle have to feed their family largely from this site.
It's their business and they need to make decisions that ensure the site stays modern and up to date to ensure it remains viable.

I fully support the decisions made to ensure an innovative Australian small business survives.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 859329

Reply By: Michael H9 - Monday, Oct 05, 2015 at 21:00

Monday, Oct 05, 2015 at 21:00
I would like a global setting that automatically sets all the unread posts to open when you open a thread. It's a bit tedious having to click that button every thread and I'm certainly not going to click every reply to see what was said, that's a pain. From a programming perspective it should be an easy modification.
AnswerID: 591232

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Monday, Oct 05, 2015 at 22:35

Monday, Oct 05, 2015 at 22:35
It's been done, check the buttons at the top of the page.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 859308

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Tuesday, Oct 06, 2015 at 11:54

Tuesday, Oct 06, 2015 at 11:54
is that right? Where do I set it so I don't have to continually click the "Show unread" button every time I open a thread? I was asking for a global setting.
FollowupID: 859325

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Tuesday, Oct 06, 2015 at 15:27

Tuesday, Oct 06, 2015 at 15:27
Michael,

This is something that will most likely get up. I am just trying to finish/fix/update the rest of the system at the moment - there are a number of things that need to be done. I will then get back into the forum system. So hang in there.

David
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 859327

Sponsored Links