New Blog Format

Submitted: Friday, Oct 02, 2015 at 14:26
ThreadID: 130483 Views:2044 Replies:5 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
Hi David and Michelle

Credit where credit is due. Yes the new site will take a little getting used to, but like all changes, they will be for the better.

The new Blog format is great and a credit to David on a great job.

Viewing the images now if fantastic and my only advise now for anyone that takes the trouble to complete a new Blog is to make sure that your images are not postage stamp size, as you will only be doing your Blog an injustice.

The only thing that I would like to see is the ability to reply to members that have made comments on your Blogs, as it used to be in the past.

Thanks again David on a great new job.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 2 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Friday, Oct 02, 2015 at 14:56

Friday, Oct 02, 2015 at 14:56
Hi Stephen I sent an email to David this morning I found that text was being lost between and around the photos (existing blogs), and also if you open up a photo and then back out to resume reading I was sent to the Blog section home page and then I had to open the blog I was reading again.

Agree the photos are a lot clearer now and the text not between or at the side of the photos is easier to read.

Cheers

Dunc

Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 591040

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Friday, Oct 02, 2015 at 15:00

Friday, Oct 02, 2015 at 15:00
Stephen to see what I mean have a look at your latest Blog on Adele's Grove you'll notice all the text on the right hand side of your photos is only showing the first couple of letters.

BTW I enjoyed that blog and your photos.

Dunc
Dunc

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 859089

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Friday, Oct 02, 2015 at 19:04

Friday, Oct 02, 2015 at 19:04
Hi Duncan

I have only had a quick play, but what I did see looked great. Ad David has said, there could be a few small issues to iron out, but I think David has done a great job and looking forward to have a play in the other sections.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 859119

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Friday, Oct 02, 2015 at 19:15

Friday, Oct 02, 2015 at 19:15
Hi Duncan

I have just opened my latest Blog and on my Mac, it appears to be looking good, with no text on the side of the photos. I wonder if it relates to what Browser/Computer you are using.

I use a Mac and have opened the blog in both Safari and Google Chrome and the text is set out correctly, as per the screen shot enclosed.

Cheers

Stephen

Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 859120

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Friday, Oct 02, 2015 at 19:37

Friday, Oct 02, 2015 at 19:37
G'day Stephen, well all's well with my home computer, it must just be work. When I open a Blog on my work computer it is between 2 lines and I've no idea how to widen the panel.

Odd. Might ask the IT guys at work to have a look and fix for me?

Cheers

Dunc
Dunc

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 859125

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Friday, Oct 02, 2015 at 19:43

Friday, Oct 02, 2015 at 19:43
Dunc,

You may have the screen zoomed in - try holding and press 0 (zero). Ctrl 0 is reset zoom on windows. Worth a try.

David
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 859126

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Friday, Oct 02, 2015 at 21:25

Friday, Oct 02, 2015 at 21:25
Thanks David I'll giv ethat a try.

Cheers

Dunc
Dunc

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 859138

Reply By: GarryR - Friday, Oct 02, 2015 at 14:56

Friday, Oct 02, 2015 at 14:56
What is the max kb size for jpeg as I shoot in RAW and convert to jpeg and some of the images are still 6-8mb in jpeg may be too big. What size for jpeg image do you recommend for your site.
location - Warragul -Victoria
life is too short, so out and about enjoy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 591041

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Friday, Oct 02, 2015 at 19:19

Friday, Oct 02, 2015 at 19:19
Hi Garry,

I always downsize my images on Picasa to make the upload a lot quicker. I have found that if I use the full size image, which now on my new Nikon is over 24 meg, it takes some time to upload, and often when it takes a long time, it often has an error issue.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 859121

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Friday, Oct 02, 2015 at 19:20

Friday, Oct 02, 2015 at 19:20
Sorry Garry, I should have said that I downsize to 1000 kb

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 859122

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Friday, Oct 02, 2015 at 19:49

Friday, Oct 02, 2015 at 19:49
If you are resizing try to use a tool that holds the EXIF data. We use some of this if it is loaded. Picassa is a good tool the export works and holds the data.

In terms of size in pixels we currently render up to 2000x1000. But with the way things are going with 2x and 3x or more retina displays the bigger the better for longevity. I would say best practise is to ensure around 3000pixels in the largest dimension (landscape = 3000pixels width). It does effect upload speed and this is dependant on your provider but 3MB or about is also a good guide (dependant on jpg compression used).

Enjoy.
David

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 859129

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Friday, Oct 02, 2015 at 15:50

Friday, Oct 02, 2015 at 15:50
Stephen,

Thanks - you can reply to people who respond to your post if they do it as a discussion - this uses the forum logic and you would simply reply using the created thread. From the blog you would click on Read Response and this would take you to the forum page. If they submit a review this is sort of locked.

I understand this is not 100% but I have some ideas. For ease of management software and flexibility of editing I am trying to steer the comments/replies system into the forum - the linking may not be 100% yet but I am looking into it.

Image wrapping - It is very hard to have switched from fixed width to responsive for the blog images. The system in this area is not finished so I would suggest you hold off any major reformatting till I finalise the blog system in the next few weeks.

David

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 591047

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Friday, Oct 02, 2015 at 15:57

Friday, Oct 02, 2015 at 15:57
Thanks for the feedback David.

Dunc
Dunc

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 859099

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Friday, Oct 02, 2015 at 19:21

Friday, Oct 02, 2015 at 19:21
Hi David and Michelle

From what we are seeing so far, this major upgrade that you have been working on looks and feels great, and so far.....touch wood, no gremlins in the works.

Have a great week end.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 859123

Reply By: baznpud (tassie) - Friday, Oct 02, 2015 at 19:40

Friday, Oct 02, 2015 at 19:40
It's the world we live in, you have to get used to change, we personally like the new system as it makes it easier to look things up on the iphone.
Well done.
baz
Go caravaning, life is so much shorter than death.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 591066

Reply By: Mick O - Saturday, Oct 03, 2015 at 11:07

Saturday, Oct 03, 2015 at 11:07
Three things that are missing from the previous iteration;

1. The ability to seach a members blog list by specific date. At the moment it simply lists them from latest to earliest. In the old system you were able to pull up blogs by date...say Oct 2008. It would then provide a list of your blogs for that month. This doesn't happen anymore.

2. Can't search your specific blog list by text. It searches the entire EO blog index and returns hits for all blogs, not the individual members. If you're looking for one of your canning blogs, you may have to scroll through 20 pages before you find it which leads to my third point below.....

3. Can't specify how many blogs to view in the blog list. You used to have the choice of 25, 50 or 100. Not anymore. You have to scroll through 16 pages in my case to find earlier blogs. Not so much of a hardship if you had an option to select from the 16 pages in the first instance but that is also not provided. You only have four. The Next button only brings up the next page so you have a lot of pages to open before I can get to a blog from 2009 say at Page 13!

Hopefully small potatoes that will be added later.

Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 591111

Sponsored Links