Help with cracks in <span class="highlight">tyres</span>?

Submitted: Friday, Oct 02, 2015 at 16:28
ThreadID: 130485 Views:3510 Replies:10 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi guys,
I'm still relatively new to 4 wheel driving and I need some advice on my tyres.

I bought a set of Mickey Thompson STZs around 5 months ago. I've since done about 8000 km on them, including a big trip across the Great Central Road. The other day while cleaning my wheels I noticed the tyres had some tiny splits around the top of the tread. It seems to be marginally worse on the front tyres. I've attached an image at the bottom so you can see what I'm talking about.

Is this normal? And is it something to worry about? Or am I just overthinking this?

They've seen some fairly rocky tracks, but I always air down when the situation calls for it. Am I doing something wrong, possibly letting too much air out? Or maybe not enough? I've never had all terrain tyres before and I'm not sure how they're supposed to wear and what's normal and what's not. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Holly

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Life Member TourBoy, Bundaberg - Friday, Oct 02, 2015 at 16:51

Friday, Oct 02, 2015 at 16:51
Hi Holly, pretty normal for tyres that have been on unsealed roads. If you get cracks between the lugs or around the sidewalls be more concerned.
Cheers,
Dave
2010 Isuzu FTS800 Expedition camper
2015 Fortuner
Had 72 cruisers in my time

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 591052

Reply By: Kenell - Friday, Oct 02, 2015 at 16:53

Friday, Oct 02, 2015 at 16:53
Holly,
That is part of the tread pattern. It is nothing to do with wear. Your tyres look to be doing very well.
AnswerID: 591053

Reply By: Erad - Friday, Oct 02, 2015 at 17:03

Friday, Oct 02, 2015 at 17:03
Those 'cracks' are called sipes and are included in the trad to help disperse water when driving on wet roads. Go to a tyre shop and have a look at new tyres and you will see them
AnswerID: 591054

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Friday, Oct 02, 2015 at 17:35

Friday, Oct 02, 2015 at 17:35
Holly,

Are you worried about the zig-zag deep "cracks" or the small scuff marks that you can see on the surface of the outer tread blocks.

The zig-zags are part of the tread pattern so don't worry about them. They are "sipes" and help dispel water.

The scuffs I see at almost right angles to the edge of the blocks are very minor and should be considered part of normal tread wear. One hard stop or a bit of enthusiastic cornering can cause those.

Check from time to time to see if the tread blocks are wearing into a saw-tooth pattern, eg with the front of the blocks markedly higher or lower than the rear. If that happens you might want to discuss it here or with your tyre dealer.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 591056

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Friday, Oct 02, 2015 at 17:42

Friday, Oct 02, 2015 at 17:42
Or are you referring to the tiny cracks at the ends of the sipes Holly?
If so, they are nothing to be worried about either. Just normal from tyre flexing.
Cheers
Allan

AnswerID: 591058

Reply By: wholehog - Friday, Oct 02, 2015 at 20:09

Friday, Oct 02, 2015 at 20:09
I think he is referring to the scuff marks at the end of the tread blocks..the sipes are pretty obviously a manufacturing issue.

The scuffing is due to tread squirm...does your steering feel lighter when a new set of tyres are fitted, does the vehicle tram track less on worn bitumen when a new set of tyres are fitted..its tread squirm..and reduces as the tread depth wears away.
AnswerID: 591068

Reply By: Member - ACD 1 - Friday, Oct 02, 2015 at 22:03

Friday, Oct 02, 2015 at 22:03
Hi Holly

I had the exact are happen to my P3's at about the same kilometres.

Was told by the Mickey Thompson distributors it is called "Cold Tear" - caused entirely by driver input I.e. Aggressive driving and cornering before the carcas has a chance to get up to operating temperature. Was also told by them it is purely cosmetic and will not affect performance off the tyres.

Not happy with this answer, I went to several reputable tyre shops (including other Mickey Resellers) and asked them what was causing this - same answer each time - compound fault. When I told them the manufacturer was claiming "cold tear" they all laughed.

Australian road conditions are to warm for cold tear to occur unless you are driving in Snow.

End result - all six tyres (2 brand new never touched the ground) replaced gratis. New ones haven't shown any sign of it and I'm at the 7500 km mark.

Their normal warranty is based on measured tread depth left on the vehicle and a pro rata payment by you - I would be talking to the MIckey Distributor.

Cheers

Anthony
AnswerID: 591086

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Saturday, Oct 03, 2015 at 09:33

Saturday, Oct 03, 2015 at 09:33
Anthony, could you point to the exact place on the tyre tread picture where this "Cold Tear" (or whatever) appears? Is it the cracks showing within the yellow circles in my reply above?
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 859164

Follow Up By: Member - ACD 1 - Saturday, Oct 03, 2015 at 11:11

Saturday, Oct 03, 2015 at 11:11
Hi Alan

The phenomenon described as "Cold Tear" by the Mickey Thompson representative presents as the tears in the bottom left of the tread block (to the left of the lower yellow circle).

I have cropped the photo to show the corner of the tread block. The tears run vertically upwards from the edge of the tread block.

Remember this is Mickey Thompsons "diagnosis" not mine.

The second photo shows the tread blocks on my P3's. You can see the same lines at the top of the tread block. You can also see from the condition of my tyre that they have not been flogged out on rough roads.

Cheers

Anthony
FollowupID: 859168

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Saturday, Oct 03, 2015 at 12:43

Saturday, Oct 03, 2015 at 12:43
Ah thanks Anthony. I saw those marks but assumed they were just surface abrasion rather than cracks or tears and accordingly of little consequence.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 859174

Reply By: desray (WA - Saturday, Oct 03, 2015 at 04:25

Saturday, Oct 03, 2015 at 04:25
Looks normal to me,, slight scuffing ,probably from the rocks.
AnswerID: 591090

Reply By: Member - Darwin Dave - Tuesday, Oct 06, 2015 at 15:38

Tuesday, Oct 06, 2015 at 15:38
Hi Holly,

Your tyres look fine, to me it looks like the steering wheel is being turned whilst the vehicle is stationary. Vehicle should be in motion before turning steering wheel, this avoids tyre and suspension damage.

Regards,
Dave

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 591255

Reply By: Swaggie - Friday, Oct 09, 2015 at 06:00

Friday, Oct 09, 2015 at 06:00
Keep a close eye on them, I'm on my second set of MTZ's, the first set was bullet proof and I managed about 45k out of them, but my second set the lugs have torn away, sidewall strike etc. I havn't changed my driving at all. Rep was supposed to look at them 10 months ago,but on the phone to Sydney as soon as I mentioned I've been in The High Country be said there won't be much they can do (I thought it strange and I kick myself I didn't ask why and probably why the Rep didn't ring me back to arrange a visual at the local store but it's still pretty poor) They won't be getting my cash a third time,I'm going to the KM2..
AnswerID: 591366

Sponsored Links