Lights for my 79 Series

Submitted: Friday, May 21, 2004 at 12:50
ThreadID: 13051 Views:1320 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi guy's I'm thinking of fitting a pr of Light Force 240's to my new 79 Series, but I'm worried about over heating problems due to the larger size of these lights. I've been told Toyota don't recommend fitting bug screens to the radiators for this reason so I'm concerned about these larger lights.

Anybody out there got any comments or had experience with this.

Cheers
Jeff
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Friday, May 21, 2004 at 13:06

Friday, May 21, 2004 at 13:06
Jeff,
Great lights, and they will not stop the air flow to the radiator enough to over heat the motor. I have got them on the cruiser and have not noticed any change in the running temperature.

Wayne
AnswerID: 59552

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Friday, May 21, 2004 at 17:52

Friday, May 21, 2004 at 17:52
From my experience with the Surf, you won't notice a change in running temp, it will still run where it always had until you hit a long hill on a 45c day, then out of the blue it'll shoot up the guage.
I had this problem with my numberplate being moved to in front of the air intake for the radiator, moved it their and thought "it seems to run the same", but oh no. Moved it out the road again and no probs.
Mind you the surf probally has a smaller window of tolarance with things likes that having a smaller radiator than the oz version.
Still, I don't reckon you'd notice a difference until it's really put to the extreme.
FollowupID: 321229

Reply By: Davoe - Friday, May 21, 2004 at 13:14

Friday, May 21, 2004 at 13:14
toyotas have v good radiators that will take a significand amount of obstruction before running warm we run bug screens on our work utes one did have a warming issue but the radiator was fairly blocked with seeds
AnswerID: 59554

Reply By: slydog - Friday, May 21, 2004 at 14:39

Friday, May 21, 2004 at 14:39
gday mid life, i have a 79 series with the same lights as well as shade cloth in front of the radiator i do a lot of paddock driving so it stops the radiator from getting blocked. I do a lot of hard work with mine and the only drama was going across the nullabor with a heavy cross wind at 120 km/hr with the canopy on, the a/c cut out, drop back to 105 km/hr and it would come back on this was a little bit annoying so told the dealer and without question he replaced the standard radiator with the turbo one under warranty, needless to say i have had no dramas at all since then. Just one observation with the lightforce they do seem to lose their punch a little bit after a while, a guy told me this before i bought them and i didnt believe him, but they are still the best light i have ever had and are virtually indestructable.
hope this helps, slydog
AnswerID: 59576

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Friday, May 21, 2004 at 17:54

Friday, May 21, 2004 at 17:54
Yeah, that what's I mean Slydog, it'll seem like it's running ok, but what will happen is when it's really put to the test there won't be enough air flowing past the radiator and it will not be able to keep up (the whole cooling system get's saturated). Bigger radiator would have solved the problem or even a big F/O thermo fan (if it'll fit).
FollowupID: 321230

Sponsored Links