Roof rack help

Submitted: Sunday, Oct 11, 2015 at 15:03
ThreadID: 130562 Views:5724 Replies:7 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, currently my 150 prado, with the roof rails on.. Fitted with a pair of cross bars, which have 75 kg limit per pair, written on them, and are toyota brand, purchased second hand.. With a 2.4 X 3 m awning attached..
I need to be able to place 2nd spare up top, swag, small folding table, couple of camp chairs, and maybe a gas bottle..
Am I better off getting rid of the cross bars, and rails, or is it possible to get a platform/rhino rack type that will clamp onto the rails... Want something easy to remove, as will only be needed for trips.. Have been to one local rhino dealer, and young bloke there, wasn't to convincing.. I've read through a lot of archived stuff, but not finding what I'm after... I thought I read somewhere prado has 150kg load limit for the roof?.. Can anyone verify if I'm correct.. Thanks again for your thoughts and suggestions.. Cheers Odog
Some people want it to happen, some people wish it could happen, others make it happen!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: TomH - Sunday, Oct 11, 2015 at 15:43

Sunday, Oct 11, 2015 at 15:43
The roof rack limit will be in your manual probably. Remember it includes the weight of the rack
AnswerID: 591462

Reply By: Member -Pinko (NSW) - Sunday, Oct 11, 2015 at 15:48

Sunday, Oct 11, 2015 at 15:48
Odog
I had Rhino heavy duty roof bars X 3 and only good for loading long stuff on to.
I now have a Rhino Pioneer platform.
The legs of the bars fit the platform with rhino spacers for a curved roof which you may already have.
Rhino have devices to hold spare wheels and a jerry can.
For chairs etc. rhino have rated tie down rings that slot into every plank on the platform and slide in a channel full length and tighten at any position.
Ideal for chairs,swags or tents.
Cheers
Living is a journey,it depends on where you go !
VKS 737 mobile 0049 selcall 0049

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 591464

Follow Up By: Member - Odog - Sunday, Oct 11, 2015 at 17:47

Sunday, Oct 11, 2015 at 17:47
Thanks Pinko
My roof racks, have a clamp, which clamps nice and neatly on the roof rails, I'd like to fix a platform the same way if I can.. I guess having a platform, be same drag as having roof racks that are on it at present.. Was thinking to take on and off as I need it..? But if a platform, still get under car parks, and not much difference in wind drag eh? Cheers
Some people want it to happen, some people wish it could happen, others make it happen!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 859504

Reply By: Member - Rosco from way back - Sunday, Oct 11, 2015 at 18:40

Sunday, Oct 11, 2015 at 18:40
If you're looking for an occasional use budget job, chase up a 2nd hand security screen door.
Whip off the mesh and voila! Shouldn't be too hard to fix it to the rails and the "ampli-mesh" on the door gives heaps of tie-down locations.
AnswerID: 591466

Follow Up By: Member - Odog - Sunday, Oct 11, 2015 at 18:53

Sunday, Oct 11, 2015 at 18:53
G'day Rosco
Yeah, I've thought down that line...be heaps cheaper.. Wonder if it would make the distance? Be a buggar if it fell apart mid flight!! Cheers

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 859507

Follow Up By: lancie49 - Sunday, Oct 11, 2015 at 20:53

Sunday, Oct 11, 2015 at 20:53
Yeah, the corners of the frame may be a bit flimsy for off road work but it wouldn't take much to add some corner plates to give it more strength.
The Amplimesh itself should be fine but use several 'holes' to tie to and through, rather than just hooking an occy strap to one point.
FollowupID: 859517

Reply By: Member - meatman61 - Sunday, Oct 11, 2015 at 21:35

Sunday, Oct 11, 2015 at 21:35
We have the standard roof rails(Factory ones), and have the Rhino croos bars, and a Steel basket on them.
When we go away, we put the awning on, a spare wheel(steel rim, not alloy), TREDS, and if fire season, some wood.
Never had a problem with this, been thru the Simpson, up the Darling, and a extensive West MacDonnel Ranges trip.
AnswerID: 591471

Reply By: salee75 - Sunday, Oct 11, 2015 at 22:29

Sunday, Oct 11, 2015 at 22:29
My understanding is that if you take the rails off, and install a Rhino platform (on 6 feet) the load limit is increased to 100kg total.

I believe that is the maximum load for the 150 Prado.
AnswerID: 591472

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Monday, Oct 12, 2015 at 07:30

Monday, Oct 12, 2015 at 07:30
Your cheapest option would be a steel basket.
I have one which I can put on and take off myself. It is approx. 1000mm wide by 1400mm long.
You can see it in my profile picture, but I no longer use the canvas bag, as I experienced too much of a problem with it balooning, regardless of how many straps I added.

The basket holds my shovel on the side and is narrow enough to allow an OzTent or Gazebo to be strapped to the opposite side, without the need to offset it on the roof.

The stated camping gear and spares you wish to stow up top is exactly what the basket is designed for and you should have no problems with weight.

If you want to be sure, visit a Roof Rack retailer (where they sell baskets) and they will help you with your exact requirements.

P.S. Look for a basket with a wind deflector on the leading edge.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 591475

Reply By: Sigmund - Monday, Oct 12, 2015 at 13:26

Monday, Oct 12, 2015 at 13:26
My understanding is that if you're headed offroad or rough road you should drop the max load specified by a third or so.

AnswerID: 591495

Sponsored Links