Road Trip Through Oodnadatta Track

Submitted: Sunday, Oct 11, 2015 at 22:46
ThreadID: 130567 Views:2998 Replies:11 FollowUps:15
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Everyone.

I'm planing a road trip from Mel to Alice Springs and back in late Dec / early Jan.

One of the routes we are taking will be the Oodnadatta track.

We are not doing the full length of the track, just the part from Coober Pedy to Uluru.

I've done quite a bit of Googling but cant find anyone who has taken the roads we are taking.
Mainly : Marala -> Oodnadatta & Williams Creek -> Coober Pedy

Map : https://goo.gl/04ZaWv

Has anyone taken these route can tell me a bit about the road condition?
We are taking a Ford Territory and a Toyota Camry Sedan

Thanks in advance.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Jackolux - Monday, Oct 12, 2015 at 07:05

Monday, Oct 12, 2015 at 07:05
I have do the Oodnadatta Tk many times , it is a very interesting drive . First time was 1986 in a Sigma sedan towing a Jayco Finch . The Track has always been in good condition.

But I would not go there in Summer , Dec / Jan ,way to hot . I got talked into doing a trip in April one year the heat was unbearable.

AnswerID: 591474

Reply By: The Landy - Monday, Oct 12, 2015 at 08:07

Monday, Oct 12, 2015 at 08:07
Rangana

Your proposed route is like a highway these days, major route with a significant amount of traffic. Albeit perhaps less traffic at the time of year you are planning. There has been a lot of roadworks to the north of William Creek.

These areas will be hot in December/January and whilst that should not deter you from travelling then, make sure you plan well, especially with regard to water sufficiency.

There should be plenty of information available, the EO shop as a book on the Oodnadatta Track and if you have as look in the "Treks" section you will see notes for this route.

Enjoy...

Baz - The Landy
AnswerID: 591478

Follow Up By: The Landy - Monday, Oct 12, 2015 at 08:13

Monday, Oct 12, 2015 at 08:13
Meant to put in a couple of links...

Oodnadatta Track - EO Trek Notes

Oodnadatta Track - Guide Book (There are a couple available - this is one of them)

Cheers, Baz - The Landy
FollowupID: 859525

Reply By: sweetwill - Monday, Oct 12, 2015 at 08:24

Monday, Oct 12, 2015 at 08:24
Hello Rangana.
We done the track a couple of months back, from Alice all the way down, it was the week after the Finke races, The corragations cracked my gas line,80 serese land cruiser, and my mate told me that his diesle line had a fine crack in it, he found it when he got home, the track got better the closer we were to the S/A border, it was a terrific drive for me as I'd never been that way and I had plenty of time, and the history along the way, but if one was to go that way thinking it would save time forget it.cheers Billy.
AnswerID: 591479

Reply By: vk1dx - Monday, Oct 12, 2015 at 09:04

Monday, Oct 12, 2015 at 09:04
It is an easy drive. You shouldn't get the "corrugations" that it used to known for. But you will get some. It will be damned hot so take extra water. There won't be much traffic. No mobile phone access at all.

I would recommend another time of year if you can.

It was such an easy drive the last time that we went that way, that we didn't even bother to drop our tyre pressures until we were north of Oodnadatta, and on the way to Mt Dare.

Phil
AnswerID: 591480

Reply By: Rangana H - Monday, Oct 12, 2015 at 09:20

Monday, Oct 12, 2015 at 09:20
Thank you everyone for all the advice and tips, due to our limited time we wont be going anywhere north of Ood.

On our way back we are thinking of doingCoober Pedy -> Williams Creek -> Maree -> Port Augusta.
I've read that there isn't much to see on the road between Odd and Williams Creek.
Would anyone be able to give me some insight in to this?

Is it worth while doing this route (below)

If we are doing Coober Pedy -> Williams Creek -> Maree -> Port Augusta ? (below)
AnswerID: 591482

Follow Up By: The Landy - Monday, Oct 12, 2015 at 09:44

Monday, Oct 12, 2015 at 09:44
Plenty to see if you are into the history of the track.

Take a read of the Trek notes or grab one of the guide books (in my post above) as it will give you a great description of what there is to see.

But bear in mind, the heat at that time of the year will make the travel less pleasant, unless you are accustomed to it...and even then!

If you want a great diversion rather than herading into Port August...

Head into the Flinders Ranges at Parachilna and over towards Blinman and south from there.

cheers, Baz - The Landy

FollowupID: 859526

Follow Up By: baznpud (tassie) - Monday, Oct 12, 2015 at 09:48

Monday, Oct 12, 2015 at 09:48
Having traveled most of your proposed route at one time or another, if it was me i would turn off at Cadney Station, stopping for a good look at the Painted Desert on the way to Oodnadatta, then William Creek, Maree and into the Flinders Ranges for as much time as you have left.
baz
Go caravaning, life is so much shorter than death.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 859527

Follow Up By: Rangana H - Monday, Oct 12, 2015 at 11:26

Monday, Oct 12, 2015 at 11:26
Hi baznpud,

You reckon i should go from Marla -> Cadney -> Ood -> Coober Pedy?

My initial route was to go from Marla -> Ood -> Down to Coober Pedy. Is there much on this route?

From most of the posts i read, there are quite a few mentions of the Painted Desert, so its probably worth going this route than Marla -> Ood.

After our stop at Coober Pedy, we are heading east to Williams Creek and down towards Port Augusta.

FollowupID: 859533

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Monday, Oct 12, 2015 at 16:28

Monday, Oct 12, 2015 at 16:28
Make sure you stop at the Parachilna pub for the evening meal, the menu when we were there last year was excellent and the wine list superb, as for your route we have driven both ways towing a caravan, and the second time we were camping with tents but deffinately not at that time of the year, just follow the advice of the people giving it to you and you should not have too many troubles.
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 859546

Reply By: Member - Robert1660 - Monday, Oct 12, 2015 at 09:39

Monday, Oct 12, 2015 at 09:39
Hi Rangana,
The Oodnadatta Track is as mentioned more akin to a highway than a track these days. However, this is not to say that it should be tackled unprepared. The area is isolated and at the time of the year that you plan to travel there will be far fewer travellers. Tyres can be an issue especially standard road tyres. Areas off the track such as Peake Telegraph Station are only accessibly using a 4WD such as a Prado or Landcruiser etc. I would seriously recommend that you reconsider the time of year you are planning to travel. May through to early September are much more suitable.
Robert
Robert
Landcruiser 200 VX Diesel + 19ft Bushtracker

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 591484

Follow Up By: Rangana H - Monday, Oct 12, 2015 at 10:13

Monday, Oct 12, 2015 at 10:13
Hi Robert,

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately this is the only time everyone on our group can take time off :(

I was assuming it be around 35-40 as far as the heat goes. We did a drive across the Nulla last year to Perth and back. We got to around 41 top, which wasn't too bad.

However if temps are 45-50 we might bump into issues specially with the cars over heating.
FollowupID: 859529

Follow Up By: The Landy - Monday, Oct 12, 2015 at 11:20

Monday, Oct 12, 2015 at 11:20
Looking at actual temperatures December/January this year.

Oodnadatta

December 2014

Mean: 38.2
High maximum: 46.5
Lowest maximum: 30.5
Days above 40: 10

January 2015
Mean: 36.3
High maximum: 45.3
Lowest maximum: 23.1
Days above 40: 7

Cheers, Baz – The Landy
FollowupID: 859532

Follow Up By: Rangana H - Monday, Oct 12, 2015 at 11:31

Monday, Oct 12, 2015 at 11:31
urgh... well this changes things.

I don think diving for a good 7-8 hours @ 46c is going to work out well.
FollowupID: 859534

Follow Up By: Member - Robert1660 - Monday, Oct 12, 2015 at 11:57

Monday, Oct 12, 2015 at 11:57
Hi Rangana,
I think a postponement of your trip to a cooler time of the year is most sensible. There is a memorial in William Creek to a German tourist, Caroline Gossmueller, who died out that way when she decided to walk for assistance following a car breakdown. Summer is not the time to travel in this region if you can avoid it.
Robert
Robert
Landcruiser 200 VX Diesel + 19ft Bushtracker

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 859535

Follow Up By: OBJ - Tuesday, Oct 13, 2015 at 08:16

Tuesday, Oct 13, 2015 at 08:16
Yes. the greater part of the Grossmueller tragedy was that the car was bogged. When the police arrived, her partner was dehydrated but otherwise ok. They reduced the tyre pressures and drove the car out.
FollowupID: 859563

Reply By: Rangana H - Monday, Oct 12, 2015 at 13:07

Monday, Oct 12, 2015 at 13:07
Hi everyone.

After reading all the comments, and more 'Googeling' I've change our route.
Sadly we wont be able to change the dates and everyone has already applied for time of and what not

Marla -> Cadney Station -> Ood -> Coober Pedy.
It looks like a short drive, which means we can have a good rest at Coober Pedy

Next morning head out to Williams Creek -> Maree -> South through the flinders -> Port augusta.
Looking at maps (from may 2008) from Coober Pedy theres about 450km of unsealed road up to Lyndhurst. Hopefully we can do around 90kms on these.

Thank you everyone for your advice and please keep em coming, any advice/tips more than appreciated.

@The Landy, I've bought the guide book you linked. thanks for that.
AnswerID: 591492

Follow Up By: Sigmund - Monday, Oct 12, 2015 at 13:20

Monday, Oct 12, 2015 at 13:20
Averaging 90 would be optimistic. While those roads these days get more maintenance than in the past you can still expect long stretches of gravel and corrugations. There's also a lot of history associated with the Old Ghan and it pays to allow time to check it out. The heat will mean you won't want to get out of the car much and frankly I reckon that would make for a half-wasted trip, but it's your choice.

Also bear in mind that just a small amount of rain will see them closed. Before you leave the nearest town and commit to the dirt check with the local roadhouse for a conditions report or get online at http://www.dpti.sa.gov.au/OutbackRoads

If it rains while you're out there you can get stuck in one of the towns on the way for several days.

So have a plan B.

Good luck with it.
FollowupID: 859539

Follow Up By: Rangana H - Monday, Oct 12, 2015 at 13:29

Monday, Oct 12, 2015 at 13:29
Hi Sigmund,

I hear you. Chances are we'll probably not do this route again for a very long time so i kind of don't want to miss out. but at the same time I can see the risk involved.

I think our best bet is to make a call on the morning before departing.

Getting out of the car in the heat is not much of a problem, I'm more worried the cars over heating and breaking down
FollowupID: 859540

Follow Up By: Member - tommo05 - Monday, Oct 12, 2015 at 22:00

Monday, Oct 12, 2015 at 22:00
If your timing is dependent on you averaging 90kph I would suggest you just stick to the highway. No need to be putting yourself and everyone else in danger pushing it like that.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 859554

Reply By: craigandej - Monday, Oct 12, 2015 at 13:23

Monday, Oct 12, 2015 at 13:23
Hi the temps during the day can be mid 40's for days on end. Not so bad driving with an air con, but in my opinion the nights are the worst. I have worked in remote areas often during summer, with nights regularly in the 30's without a breath of wind. Hell in a swag or tent!

Regards
Craig
AnswerID: 591494

Follow Up By: Jackolux - Monday, Oct 12, 2015 at 17:21

Monday, Oct 12, 2015 at 17:21
Like I said above , I have traveled the Oodnadatta Tk , many times , there is plenty to see , great if you are into photography , the Painted Desert is a must .

But the temps at that time of year are unbearable , Linnie Plate lived in Oodnadatta for 40 years ,said you never get used to the heat .

The heat we experienced in April was bad enough , our vehicles were not a problem , we just couldn't get out and do anything , the bloody flies were horrendous.

The temps of high 30's low 40's are recorded in the shade , there is no shade ,

I would not go there in Summer , but that's just me , you never know you might be lucky enough and have cool weather .

FollowupID: 859547

Reply By: Ozi M - Monday, Oct 12, 2015 at 18:37

Monday, Oct 12, 2015 at 18:37
I just re read your first post and I see that one vehicle is a Toyota Camry, I would definitely not be going out there in that in December/January.

I was in Marree last week, took a run out to Lake Eyre then back to Marree then south, I was able to do 90klm in Some Places going south in a Prado but I seriously doubt that would be wise in a Camry. I was doing about 80km mostly and that was enough if you actually want to see the scenery.

In some places I was down to 70klm and it was still rough, a car would be bottoming out quite often, most dips will have a pile of gravel in between the wheels and it is likely that a car will be hitting some of these.

It would be distinctly likely that something will break and to be stranded out there in 40plus degree heat is life threatening stuff.

If you must go I would suggest a sat phone and lots of water, they recommend 4 litres per day per person, in a disabled car in the sun it will 60c or 70c so it will be bad.
AnswerID: 591507

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Tuesday, Oct 13, 2015 at 01:38

Tuesday, Oct 13, 2015 at 01:38
Yes, another thing to consider is tyres and pressures.
I would certainly be dropping the prado pressures to say 28 or 30 once you leave the blacktop (assuming AT's fitted), but you can't do that more than a few psi for the Camry road tyres.
There can be sharp stones, patches of bull dust, grid ledges etc.
Will have to take it easy and be vigilant to obvious larger stones etc on the tracks to not damage road tyres.
Only one spare and no interchangeable on other vehicle.
Take a plug kit, deflator, and compressor.
Painted Hills Is beautiful, if you camp Arckaringa, you can catch a sunrise AND sunrise if keen for the spectacular colours at those times.
FollowupID: 859560

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Tuesday, Oct 13, 2015 at 03:29

Tuesday, Oct 13, 2015 at 03:29
We spent a week on a cattle station between Oodnadatta and Coober Pedy in mid January a few years back. Shade temperature was 50C or close EVERY day (and there is no shade).

But the Painted Desert is special....

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome

AnswerID: 591526

Reply By: Rangana H - Tuesday, Oct 13, 2015 at 08:38

Tuesday, Oct 13, 2015 at 08:38
Thanks everyone.

From all the feedback I've got it looks like I may have to re think this.
Maybe we'll go to the painted desert from stuart Hwy and come back the same way.

And possibly give a miss to the route through Williams Creek -> Maree.
AnswerID: 591532

Sponsored Links