Spare fuel

Submitted: Monday, Oct 12, 2015 at 17:46
ThreadID: 130575 Views:2176 Replies:3 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,can anyone with a 100 series TD let me know if there is a need to cary extra Jerry cans of fuel to travel the Oodnadatta track ,Strezlecki track,Dig Tree circuit and close tracks.I want to be sure there is enough supply of diesel out there without carrying extra weight.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: baznpud (tassie) - Monday, Oct 12, 2015 at 19:32

Monday, Oct 12, 2015 at 19:32
tull,
We don't have a TD, but have a 100 series v8 petrol towing a 3ton van, and we don't carry any extra jerry cans with fuel.
Fuel is available Maree, William Creek, Oodnadatta, and Innamincka, don't think it's necessary.
baz
Go caravaning, life is so much shorter than death.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 591510

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, Oct 12, 2015 at 19:56

Monday, Oct 12, 2015 at 19:56
Will be travelling that route at the end of this month, Tull, and have budgeted about 170L (thanks to Les - PK Ranger, for the estimates)from Oodnadatta to Nappa Merrie. Vehicle consumption is an unknown at this stage, as it's a new Land Cruiser v8 ute.

I'll be carrying 4 jerry cans for a Simpson crossing, but unlikely to refill them after Oodnadatta.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 591512

Follow Up By: Member - Rosco from way back - Tuesday, Oct 13, 2015 at 10:09

Tuesday, Oct 13, 2015 at 10:09
Will you be towing Bob? This will make a difference. And how new? They improve significantly as they loosen up. I can give you some idea, based on my own experiences.
FollowupID: 859568

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Tuesday, Oct 13, 2015 at 14:11

Tuesday, Oct 13, 2015 at 14:11
No, not towing, Rosco.

Just myself, fridges, 4 x jerry cans, water, tucker, swag & as much stuff that a bowerbird usually needs when travelling. :-)

Ute will have about 1,600 clicks on it when Les & I hit the desert in 2 weeks. Used 90L to fill it after driving home from Townsville, about 598kms.

Appreciate any advice you can give me, Rosco. Talking to one of the local cockies who's had one for some years, and he felt they are good up to 100-110, but after that "they just drink it" unquote.

Thanks,
Bob

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 859572

Follow Up By: Member - Rosco from way back - Tuesday, Oct 13, 2015 at 19:27

Tuesday, Oct 13, 2015 at 19:27
Mate. 15l/100 sounds about right brand spankers.Mine has a canopy on the back which would make a bit of a difference but expect around 12.5 round town and not a lot better on the open road. Push it past 110 at your economic peril.

Best advice when it's got a few runs on the clock is to drive it like you stole it from time to time. The rest of the time don't be afraid to use it but not abuse it.
FollowupID: 859584

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Tuesday, Oct 13, 2015 at 22:11

Tuesday, Oct 13, 2015 at 22:11
All good, Rosco.

We've got a heavy aluminium canopy too, so doubt if we'll win any economy contests.

Yeah, don't mind "feeding the fat" to it, when the opportunity allows, but can dawdle happily around town too. :-)

Probably did "steal" it Roscoe.........from the kids inheritance!

Thanks,
Bob

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 859588

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Oct 13, 2015 at 07:32

Tuesday, Oct 13, 2015 at 07:32
Hi Tull

The great thing about diesel, you will find that it is readily available in all outback locations.

As for your vehicle, only you know it's fuel usage, so it will not matter what other vehicle we drive, use your own vehicles consumption as a guide.

All the tracks that you have mentioned are great easy tracks and if you work on a safe and enjoyable speed of say 80 kph, you should be getting a reasonable fuel consumption extending you travel range.

The longest section of track that you will be travelling on without fuel stops between will be the Strzelecki Track, where it is just over 500 kilometres from Innamincka to Lyndhurst. As for the Dig Tree Circuit, just top up your tanks first at Innamincka before heading off for your next long stint.

Have a great trip.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 591528

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Tuesday, Oct 13, 2015 at 13:01

Tuesday, Oct 13, 2015 at 13:01
I agree.

And while on the trip average out your fuel usage and write it down somewhere for the next drive. Build up a trip planning data sheet. Add your weight to the fuel as they are always linked.

Phil
FollowupID: 859571

Sponsored Links