Portable Generators - Kipor 2600

Submitted: Tuesday, Oct 13, 2015 at 10:25
ThreadID: 130579 Views:2261 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Just a quick note for those who are looking at portable generators for your camping or caravaning trips.
I bought a Kipor 2600. In the first 12 months it was replaced for a new one due to the first generator blowing the motor. The second one (replacement) last another 12 months and it too has blown the motor. From my many travels I think I should have stayed with my original plan of buying a Honda
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ron N - Tuesday, Oct 13, 2015 at 11:29

Tuesday, Oct 13, 2015 at 11:29
954 - Sorry to hear about your poor run with the Chinese Kipor generators. Unfortunately, the Chinese have done little to improve their position as producers of low-quality mechanised items, and it's difficult to see the situation changing in the future.
They produce a number of basically satisfactory products where quality of the basic construction material, and how it's put together, are not especially important.
However, mechanised equipment is a business where attention to quality of materials in the construction, and how the item is put together, is absolutely crucial.
Then it's just as crucial to offer service, parts and warranty support for your product.
The Chinese still don't understand how important it is to do this, and how to build a reputation for quality mechanised items.

It has often been speculated amongst my group of friends and associates, that the attitude of the Chinese towards reliability of their mechanised products, is based on the old Communist system where no-one owns anything - and if an item broke, the Communist party just gave you a new one.

Despite China's attempts to become an equal with Western industrialised countries, it still has a long way to go.
It's not helped by the "cheapest price" mentality of importers and end users.
The Chinese are always happy to provide the "cheapest of the cheap", and to do so, quality of construction, and quality control always suffer.

I might add, I have 2 small single cylinder diesel Kipor engines (2.8HP), and they are performing quite admirably.
I believe it's important to "run in" the Chinese engines, not to load them up too heavily until they have done a few hours, and to drain the oil when hot, within the first few hours to remove contaminants.
Any contaminants left in the engine from new, shorten engine life substantially. Western manufacturers ensure that virtually no contaminants can get into engines when assembled - the Chinese are not so careful.

Even just a few stray grains of abrasive carborundum from grinding machines, hand-held grinders or emery cloth can destroy an engine quite rapidly.
That is why, if you ever find a company who does high quality overhauls or major repairs on mechanised items, they have an assembly area which is a "clean room", and quarantined from grinding equipment and materials, as well as insulated from dust and other foreign materials ingress.

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 591539

Reply By: racinrob - Tuesday, Oct 13, 2015 at 15:27

Tuesday, Oct 13, 2015 at 15:27
I bought a new Kipor 2600 after doing a fair bit of research and in two years have had no trouble.

Reading user reports on the 'net Honda are not entirely without their problems either !!

Rob
AnswerID: 591550

Follow Up By: Kevin G6 - Saturday, Oct 17, 2015 at 15:36

Saturday, Oct 17, 2015 at 15:36
Rob how often do you use the gennie?
FollowupID: 859713

Reply By: Brad R2 - Tuesday, Oct 13, 2015 at 16:21

Tuesday, Oct 13, 2015 at 16:21
You are not the only one that has had this experience with kipor generators. We had a brand new one, the third time it was started it dropped the inlet valve so would not run. Despite being 3 months old & us being on the road we could not get it even inspected without the original receipt despite the made date being only 4 months previous. We ended up having to drive back to Sydney to get the receipt have it inspected, when they decided on a replacement we cut our losses and sold the new unopened one on eBay instead of dealing with Primus the importers any more.
AnswerID: 591554

Follow Up By: 954 - Tuesday, Oct 13, 2015 at 17:01

Tuesday, Oct 13, 2015 at 17:01
Sounds about right. I was in Perth when my first blew up. I told them I was in Perth, their answe was, Where is Perth? Hahahaha
FollowupID: 859578

Sponsored Links