Balladonia track

Submitted: Wednesday, Oct 14, 2015 at 21:11
ThreadID: 130596 Views:3603 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I'm heading to Balladonia to catch-up with a mate coming over from SA.
We're going to head down to the coast from there, doing a bit of fishing and having a look around then wonder along to Esperance.
If you have travelled this track, any advise???

Cheers,
LVM
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - ACD 1 - Wednesday, Oct 14, 2015 at 21:43

Wednesday, Oct 14, 2015 at 21:43
LVM

I would call this is a good 4wd track.

Deeply rutted in some parts where water has pooled and vehicles have cut it up. Generally very easy driving though.

Check with the roadhouse to see if it is open before you venture down. We came up from the coast towing our trailer and a small amount of rain shut it. We didn't know because they were still putting signs up and we were on it before the sign went up our end. Horrible sticky mud coming down off a crest and we lost traction - nearly ended in disaster. Also - lots of touring off road motorbikes and they don't slow down.

Cheers

Anthony
AnswerID: 591605

Reply By: Mike S2 - Wednesday, Oct 14, 2015 at 22:29

Wednesday, Oct 14, 2015 at 22:29
I travelled this so called track 3 weeks ago no water in site so the others reply must have done this trip last winter,heavily corrugated from Balladonia and neglected to the Esperance shire boundry,(norseman shire do not look after this bypass road to Esperance,funds wont be spent in their town),I compared it to the GCR at docker river and this road? was worse,saw plenty of broken bits,the offroad track was better got to be carefull of the drain runoffs,my wife got sick of it and actually could walk faster than I could drive,don't recommend this track at all,(norseman end),stay on the black,have spoken to others like us and time over would have gone the longer way,your choice.
AnswerID: 591609

Reply By: Motherhen - Thursday, Oct 15, 2015 at 18:17

Thursday, Oct 15, 2015 at 18:17
As you can see from the replies so far LVM it is not a 'short cut' when it comes to travel time. If you take the track from near Balladonia, you can turn off it when you meet the Parmango Road which is a maintained rural road to Condingup. The Balladonia 4wd track continues south past Mount Ragged.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 591630

Reply By: Injected - Thursday, Oct 15, 2015 at 23:18

Thursday, Oct 15, 2015 at 23:18
I travelled on this "road" in September, there was water over the road and lots of potholes. It was smoother running down the side of the road than on the actual road.
if it wasn't potholed it was corrugated, so when getting up to speed for the corrugations you have to slow down for the potholes.
Its shorter in distance but not in time.
Regards
Angus.
AnswerID: 591643

Reply By: Norm C (WA) - Wednesday, Oct 21, 2015 at 23:10

Wednesday, Oct 21, 2015 at 23:10
All of thr above sound about right
One man's torcher is another's passion
It's a dirt road drive to the conditions and enjoy
Also the track down from the Trans line to Balladonia
is well worth the effort
Norm
AnswerID: 591821