travelander

Submitted: Wednesday, Oct 21, 2015 at 08:43
ThreadID: 130656 Views:2388 Replies:1 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi
Went to the Melbourne Leisurefest the other day looking at slide on campers.
Narrowed it down to the Wedgetail and the Travelander.
The Wedgetail is incredibly well built but a bit expensive. The Travelander is very good but the finish is a bit rough.The fiberglassing is rough in places. Where the tent hinges there is an open gap to the outside. Good place for insects to come inside. Our Kimbeley Kamper in the same spot is completely seeled.

It has a metho stove. How have people found these ? Are the a lot slower to heat things ? Can you get a metho stove with a griller ? We love a two burner gasone with a griller on the KK.

The travelander has two fiberglass water tanks. One about 120lt and one 40lt in which you can keep for drinking water.
They are just flat oblong ones. What is fiberglass like ? that is Taste, strength.

Lachie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Chris_B - Tuesday, Oct 27, 2015 at 14:31

Tuesday, Oct 27, 2015 at 14:31
Hi Lachie,

Was looking at slide on's for years and the Travelander was close to the top of the list, until I saw an Outback Camper. We purchased at the begining of this year and have already taken it to Cape York and done the Telle and Frenchmans with the camper on the back and various other closer trips. We decided on the Outback for these main reasons:

1) Weight, it's not much over 300 kg empty, We use ours on a Toyota 79 dual cab with a 300 kg GVM upgrade and now I wish I had gone the 600 kg upgrade as when its loaded the rear of the car sags a little. On shorter trips we don't take the legs, which are quite heavy. I will be getting some air bags eventually and not inflating them too much.

2) Storage, the whole right hand side of the Outback is one massive storage locker. Not sure where you would put all your additional gear like chairs, tables, cast iron cooking gear and vehicle spares in the other slide on's I've seen as most don't have that much storage room.

3) Ease of setup, takes us 2 minutes to drop the back floor, lift the roof and climb into bed. Without any complicated mechanisms that can go wrong.

4) Kitchen, also loads of storage space, 2 burner gas stove and sink/tap built in. Already setup when you want to stop for a cuppa on the side of the road.

Hope this give you something to think about.
Chris

AnswerID: 592018

Sponsored Links