Jayco Eagle out back pop top camper

Submitted: Monday, Oct 26, 2015 at 07:16
ThreadID: 130698 Views:3471 Replies:7 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, we are looking at purchasing a new jayco eagle outback but have some reservations about offroad reliability? We will doing a 6 month tour of the top end in 2017 and will be travelling with twoyoung children (6months and 2 years)... My questions are - Ha anyone had much experience with these in rugged offroad conditions( I realise they are not built as tough as a kimberely but the wife is sold on them and really wants ac for the kids daytime naps in the heat)?
- How do the AC units hold up with offroad use on corrigations and being run on a generator continuously?
- Do they leak water and dust ie dirt roads and river crossings?
any advice from experience would be greatly appreciated TIA.

Cheers,

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Tim F3 - Monday, Oct 26, 2015 at 07:43

Monday, Oct 26, 2015 at 07:43
Have you considered warrenty conditions that apply ???

My friend purchased a top of the range stirling from a dealer near newcastle nsw ,(they live in the illawarra south of sydney ).

Quickly after purchase warrenty repairs were required,they were told it had to go back to where it was purchased from for warrenty,and there was a 3 month delay in booking it in. ( there is a jayco agent in nowra approx 40 mins from their home.)

They are now travelling in it and at broome the water pump failed,they had to wait in excess of 2 weeks for parts to be sent for repair.

Also i understand the warrenty is only 12 months.
AnswerID: 591968

Follow Up By: Terry M7 - Monday, Oct 26, 2015 at 17:28

Monday, Oct 26, 2015 at 17:28
You don't have to take it back to the dealer you bought it from, that's rubbish.
I took ours to different dealers for minor warranty work no trouble.
My daughter and family have just returned from 2 years around Aus living in a Starcraft full time took it to dealers in most states .
That's the beauty of Jayco over others , dealers everywhere.
I have had great service everywhere I've been unlike the other brand I had.
As far as I'm concerned Jayco and Toyota are the only way to go
Dealers everywhere .
FollowupID: 860079

Reply By: Member - tazbaz - Monday, Oct 26, 2015 at 07:47

Monday, Oct 26, 2015 at 07:47
G'day Monica
We've had a 2008 Eagle Outback - bought it new in 2008 and sold it a year ago. We did a lot of rough stuff with it and it held up very well. We taped plastic over the vents which kept the dust out.
The only issues were:
* rocks hitting/opening the water tank drain tap, and that easy to fix by replacing the tap with a screw in plug;
* dislodged electric brake cabling on the axle - but the cabling may have been improved with the newer independent suspension.
No water leaks, and are high enough to get through river crossings.
Overall, a good camper. The slide out cooker was not good though.
AnswerID: 591969

Reply By: pmk03 - Monday, Oct 26, 2015 at 09:21

Monday, Oct 26, 2015 at 09:21
We had a 2007 Eagle outback & took it on many outback tracks like the Cordillo Rd, Oodnadatta Track & Plenty Hwys. We didn't really have any any problems. Did have a bit of dust get in on the first trip but after sealing the underside where the floor meets the walls and around where the pipes come through the floor with sikaflex it was very much reduced. Also cover your fridge vents while travelling.
You will also need to protect the plumbing & electrical cables underneath as already said by others.
Once these "mods" were done we found it great for these sort of trips.
We didn't have A/C so can't comment on that.
Over all with a few modifications we loved ours & had it for about 4 years. Just remember that Jayco (& many others ) wont guarantee the van for heavy off road use but that didn't stop us from doing it.
Another good thing about the Jayco is we got out money back when we sold it & after a good clean up it looked as good as new.
Cheers Paul
AnswerID: 591971

Reply By: Sigmund - Monday, Oct 26, 2015 at 13:52

Monday, Oct 26, 2015 at 13:52
Have a read of http://www.productreview.com.au/p/jayco-camper-trailer/m/eagle.html

As for running an a/c, many caravan and national parks have restrictions on when, or whether, you can run a gennie.
AnswerID: 591977

Reply By: Bigfish - Monday, Oct 26, 2015 at 14:46

Monday, Oct 26, 2015 at 14:46
Owned 1 jayco about 5 years ago. Overpriced rubbish. OK on bitumen after you spend a lot of dollars replacing crappy plastic fittings. Underneath is not suitable to be driven on a dirt driveway, let alone off road. Save your money and get a camper that has a better reputation. It will leak and gather dust.....
AnswerID: 591978

Follow Up By: Member - Blue M - Tuesday, Oct 27, 2015 at 03:48

Tuesday, Oct 27, 2015 at 03:48
Bigfish,
You must be the unluckiest person around. They are one of the cheapest vans about, and I think your expectations are much higher than what could be called reasonable.

Cheers
FollowupID: 860095

Follow Up By: Hewy54 - Tuesday, Oct 27, 2015 at 08:43

Tuesday, Oct 27, 2015 at 08:43
Blue M
I have just read the feedback through the link provided on a previous post.
Bigfish may not be the unluckiest person around, but may be just another ex Jayco owner.
FollowupID: 860098

Follow Up By: Bigfish - Tuesday, Oct 27, 2015 at 09:39

Tuesday, Oct 27, 2015 at 09:39
You said it mate...one of the cheapest vans around Same as many other manufactured goods....buy the cheapest and you live to regret it. There are enough negative feed backs on various forums to prove this.
FollowupID: 860103

Reply By: Hewy54 - Monday, Oct 26, 2015 at 19:33

Monday, Oct 26, 2015 at 19:33
I have never owned a Jayco, but have close friends and relations with one. I consider a Jayco to be one of the best value campers on the market, but you get what you pay for. For bitumen and caravan parks they are ideal. I have seen several that have been offroad, and it was not a pretty sight.
AnswerID: 591996

Reply By: Member - WBS - Monday, Oct 26, 2015 at 19:40

Monday, Oct 26, 2015 at 19:40
Have a look at this link on YouTube. You may get something out of it.
Hay River Track

WBS
AnswerID: 591997

Follow Up By: Bigfish - Tuesday, Oct 27, 2015 at 09:20

Tuesday, Oct 27, 2015 at 09:20
That was an interesting clip. He certainly did a lot of modification to bring it up to standard. Even commented that the van was not really up to rough offroad work. Jayco say the same thing. Jayco,s definition of "off road" will differ greatly to that of a seasoned traveller.
He also gets rid of the campers after a trip. This means that any long term issues will not eventuate for this owner. Smart move. Buying second hand would be challenging.

Like everything else we purchase...If you want it to last and do the job for which it is intended...do your homework, buy the best you can afford and use it for what it was intended for.

Good luck.
FollowupID: 860102

Sponsored Links