New skywalk to be built at Kalbarri

Submitted: Monday, Oct 26, 2015 at 13:54
ThreadID: 130699 Views:2513 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
News story here from Parks & Wildlife WA. What do you think?

Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John - Monday, Oct 26, 2015 at 15:34

Monday, Oct 26, 2015 at 15:34
Michelle, another place I am glad to have visited before the great tourism influx. I do understand the need for tourism for regional areas, but hate the idea of "tourism precincts", another "Americanism", for this amazing area.............. I am sure it won't be long until the golden arches set up shop in the precinct........................ My tuppence worth.........
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 591979

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Monday, Oct 26, 2015 at 15:49

Monday, Oct 26, 2015 at 15:49
It might be what some call progress, but in reality its exploiting a natural asset for financial/commercial gain. I guess we have been fortunate to have visited this spot when it was still relatively natural. If you are like us and prefer natural, unspoilt areas over tourist traps - even if they are in beautiful areas - my advice is to get in quick before the ambience is lost.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 591981

Reply By: Member - Russler - Monday, Oct 26, 2015 at 17:55

Monday, Oct 26, 2015 at 17:55
Does that make people that use it Skywalkers?
AnswerID: 591988

Follow Up By: Member - MARIC - Tuesday, Oct 27, 2015 at 12:07

Tuesday, Oct 27, 2015 at 12:07
Christian name Luke?
It is only when you see mosquito land on your testicles that you find another way to solve problems without violence

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 860109

Reply By: Member - Robert1660 - Monday, Oct 26, 2015 at 20:26

Monday, Oct 26, 2015 at 20:26
I will just make a comment about the proposed upgrade of the road. We visited Kalbarri in June this year. Could not believe that such a popular and impressive destination still had a very poor dirt road. The road was heavily used and thus heavily corrugated. Normal vehicles with normal tyre pressures can be easily damaged as many people including numerous overseas visitors travel far too fast for the conditions. This improvement is most welcomed!
Robert
Landcruiser 200 VX Diesel + 19ft Bushtracker

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 591999

Reply By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Oct 28, 2015 at 01:05

Wednesday, Oct 28, 2015 at 01:05
They should have listened to the travellers - most of the feedback across social media since the announcement has been negative.

It is overkill. Simple boardwalks and viewing platforms are adequate and allow access for those with mobility difficulties. An expensive and ugly platform jutting scarily over the gorge is not value for money, and out of keeping with the natural beauty of the Kalbarri National Park.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 592043

Reply By: Kevin S - Life Member (QLD) - Wednesday, Oct 28, 2015 at 16:51

Wednesday, Oct 28, 2015 at 16:51
We are hoping to do a return visit to Kalbarri and the national park next year. I'm dissapointed that the project will not be complete by then.
Cheers,
Kevin
Kevin
It is important to always maintain a sense of proportion

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 592065

Sponsored Links