80 series ( diesel) extractors

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 16, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1307 Views:5876 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone out there fitted extractors to their 80 or 75 series diesel ?
Does it help in any way , or is it just economical on fuel ?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Goran - Sunday, Jun 16, 2002 at 00:00

Sunday, Jun 16, 2002 at 00:00
I had just finished installing 2 1/2 in system with Pacemaker extractors on my 80 (1HZ) . Engine seems to be running better , and there is improvement troughout the rev range . It is running a lot smoother. Better acceleration too. I got my system from Williams Brakes in Geralton W.A. for about $900 delivered to my door step . Easy to fit ( providing you don't run into problems taking the old one off ) . The famous flat spot in the tail pipe has been eliminated .... :-) . As for the fuel economy , i honestly don't know , will see after couple of tanks. If you decide to go for it check Williams brakes in Geralton . Great service and you will get complete system ready to go . They are also only a phone call away in case you run into trouble . Hope this helps .
AnswerID: 4209

Reply By: Nigel - Sunday, Jun 16, 2002 at 00:00

A mate of mine put extractors on his 75 ute and reckons it was money well spent.
AnswerID: 4211

Reply By: Cairns Offroad Training & Tours - Sunday, Jun 16, 2002 at 00:00

$900 seems a lot of money for a very small increase in power or economy.
I would recommend you saved your money until you can afford a turbo system that will transform the performance of your vehicle. I have recently done a deal with one of my sponsors allowing me access to the well respected DTS turbo systems. I have one of these fitted to my vehicle for the last 12 months and when set up corectly will double your power for minimal fuel increase. Cheers Rob
AnswerID: 4212

Follow Up By: Goran - Sunday, Jun 16, 2002 at 00:00

That is all well and good mate , but i still think the only safe way to go about improved performance is with large diameter exaust , extractors , snorkel and good aftermarket air filter . Regardless what anyone will say i don't belieive the bottom end on 1HZ is strong enough for a turbo . This motor is simply not designed for forced induction and will have it's life shortened considerably .
FollowupID: 1822

Reply By: colin watson - Monday, Jun 17, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Jun 17, 2002 at 00:00
Hi Keith, deffinetly fit extractors and bigger pipes, dont go with the free flow muffler as the noise in the cab is unbearable, try fitting a stainless ford v8 muffler,you will notice a big difference in power, tourge, fuel economey, next step try fitting finer filters. If you have the dollars forget the turbos and look at a supercharger they are very friendly on the bottom end of a used donk and give so much more torge than a turbo could ever give. They start working at idle and keep going to the red line, like driveing a big petrol, great for towing and playing in the sand. Col
AnswerID: 4234

Reply By: Rob - Wednesday, Jun 19, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Jun 19, 2002 at 00:00
Keith, I've a set of genie headers with a 2 1/2'' exhaust with 1 muffler on my series 75 1hz. I've gained more power and slightly better ecomomy.
Rob
AnswerID: 4313

Reply By: Derek Jarrett - Friday, Jun 21, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Jun 21, 2002 at 00:00
Hi Kieth. On the recommendation of a Brisbane exhaust shop, I had fitted 'Motivator' extractors, a Mercury muffler and a 2.5 inch system to my 80 series 1HZ and found the following
1) acceleration improved slightly
2) the engine sounded less asthmatic
3) torque improved significantly
As a result I can hold an extra gear on hills which makes the car a whole lot more driveable especially when towing. I'm also using a Finer Filter.
Toyota rate the engine at 96 kw and I recently recorded 87Bhp on a rolling dynamometer. I don't know how this compares to other cars, but the dyno guy said it was the most power he'd registered for a 1HZ with these modifications. This all cost me $600 and I reckon it was worth it. If you are considering a turbo you will have to ask yourself, are you going to get $2500 worth more power? The engine rebuilder I use claims the 1hz is the worst engine for turbo charging that Toyota have ever made. Hope this helps you and doesn't offend anyone else.
AnswerID: 4357

Sponsored Links