Rear view cameras for caravans

Submitted: Wednesday, Oct 28, 2015 at 16:55
ThreadID: 130721 Views:2865 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I need help once again, I cant seem to work out how to use the search programme on this new forum so my question has probably been answered else where but I don't know how to find it, I need some sort of guidance on cameras for the back of the caravan like how to choose a good camera from an average one, and what features I should be looking for, the new van has gone from 19'6" to 23', so we are definitely looking at some sort of rear view camera.
Your thoughts and suggestions please ladies and gentlemen, and I stress ladies as oswmbo, does do the guidance as most ladies do when guiding the van into parking spots.
thank you
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Jim B8 - Wednesday, Oct 28, 2015 at 19:24

Wednesday, Oct 28, 2015 at 19:24
I suggest choosing a CCD camera, not CMOS. CCD can run full time, CMOS will only run when backing, they dont like full time connection. And make your choice before you wire for it, different looms are needed. Again, my suggestion is to think about how wide the camera needs to view, super wide angle shows a lot, but at extreme distance...hard to see anything. Consider a lesser angle of view to get better definition, closer views.
And lastly, avoid the screen built into the rear view mirror, they are, to me, too small. Get a 7 inch screen of the highest resolution you can. Mine is 800 x 600, and I wish it was higher. But it seems modern tech isnt yet fully embedded into RV systems yet, and its a pity.
Suggest highest resolution CCD medium angle camera, connecting to Highest resolution 7 inch or bigger screen, and a wiring loom to suit.
good luck
AnswerID: 592067

Follow Up By: TomH - Wednesday, Oct 28, 2015 at 20:45

Wednesday, Oct 28, 2015 at 20:45
Firstly ANY camera will run all the time if you wire it right. I had one that went all the time and wasnt an expensive one.
Also only had a 5 in screen which was big enough to see and not big enough to be intrusive.

It is after all only a RV mirror.

Also remember that they are used in addition to wide mirrors and dont replace them Agree about the rear vision mirror screen they are useless
FollowupID: 860165

Reply By: Jackolux - Wednesday, Oct 28, 2015 at 21:35

Wednesday, Oct 28, 2015 at 21:35
Have a look at Safety Daves web site .
AnswerID: 592076

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Wednesday, Oct 28, 2015 at 23:25

Wednesday, Oct 28, 2015 at 23:25
thanks for that Jackolux I have just found him and he has answered most of my questions. thank you
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 860172

Follow Up By: Member - PhilD_NT - Wednesday, Oct 28, 2015 at 23:29

Wednesday, Oct 28, 2015 at 23:29
I have a setup from Safety Dave with a screen that has the ability for up to 4 cameras on a 7" split screen. They could all be displayed at the same time but optioned it with one of these dual camera devices and wired it so that when ever the lights are on (all the time while driving) the cameras are both on. The wide angle camera points almost straight down and the other looks in to the distance and is the one that I only have displayed generally. Together with the Clearview mirrors no one sneaks up on us, so far.
http://safetydave.com.au/reversing-camera-kits/sd-dual-camera/
FollowupID: 860173

Reply By: Member - Alastair D (NSW) - Wednesday, Oct 28, 2015 at 21:49

Wednesday, Oct 28, 2015 at 21:49
I would suggest getting a system capable of switching between 2 cameras. One for reversing and the other for rear view whilst travelling. It makes a big difference having a quality screen and cameras with the appropriate angle for the different jobs. As said the CCDs cameras are generally better when on for long periods - they will last longer. If you want good reversing vision in poor light get a camera with inbuilt IR lights.
AnswerID: 592078

Reply By: Member BarryG - Thursday, Oct 29, 2015 at 09:53

Thursday, Oct 29, 2015 at 09:53
Have a look at NAS Security in Busselton.
They have great range of quality cameras and accessories.

Barry

AnswerID: 592091

Sponsored Links