Thinking of getting a good Camera

Submitted: Friday, Oct 30, 2015 at 18:01
ThreadID: 130743 Views:1932 Replies:15 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi just putting it out there I think there would be some people here that know a bit about cameras. I am thinking of getting a Cannon Powershot because there small and compact and they will do what I wont hahahha I don't know to much about cameras so sorry about that. What Powershots are better than others don't wont top of the range .

I hope my question is ok sorry about been a bit blunt.

Cheers

Chris
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Friday, Oct 30, 2015 at 18:08

Friday, Oct 30, 2015 at 18:08
Chris,

Canon Powershot are great cameras in the compact range. Just pick a model that is in your price range.
One good feature to look for is "Image Stabliser" which improves the image quality over a multitude of situations.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 592150

Reply By: TomH - Friday, Oct 30, 2015 at 18:53

Friday, Oct 30, 2015 at 18:53
The first thing to state is your budget. CANONS can be small and maybe do what you WANT.

There are lots of others and my advice would be go to a shop and actually handle them.

I have fairly long fingers and found some small ones uncomfortable to use. I settled on a Nikon DSLR but eventually found it rather heavy to carry all day.

A new type of camera which is mirrorless seems to be pretty good but are not cheap,
Sons GF has an Olympus OMD Em 5

My wife has a Sony DSC WX 300 which takes pretty good photos and has a decent zoom as well, something I find great when on holiday Cost about $250
AnswerID: 592152

Reply By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Friday, Oct 30, 2015 at 19:06

Friday, Oct 30, 2015 at 19:06
Also look at the waterproof options as that will give you a whole different photographic opportunities.

Cheers

Dunc
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 592154

Reply By: Whirlwinder - Friday, Oct 30, 2015 at 19:08

Friday, Oct 30, 2015 at 19:08
My wife has a Canon G16 powershot.
It is the biggest Powershot before going to DSLR. About $600 I think.
Like others have said. Just handle them all to see what suits.
Ian
AnswerID: 592155

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Friday, Oct 30, 2015 at 19:15

Friday, Oct 30, 2015 at 19:15
Hi Chris,

Canon PowerShot are good cameras but there are many in that range to choose from.

If you are just starting out in photography, don't get carried away or talked into a complex camera such as a SLR (Single Lens Reflex) type. They are more complex to operate plus heavier and bulkier. Start with a Compact type such as the PowerShot SX610HS at less than $300. This camera will perform well having 20 megapixel sensor, 18X optical zoom and image stabilisation. And without a lot of complications that can confuse.

Best to go to a camera store and handle the cameras, as feel in the hands is important. But be careful that the salesman does not talk you into a particular camera of other than your choice..... it could be the one they make more profit on!
Cheers
Allan

AnswerID: 592156

Reply By: GXL4X4 - Friday, Oct 30, 2015 at 20:45

Friday, Oct 30, 2015 at 20:45
Hi again wow I didn't think any one would reply so thanks very much for the info I will go to a store and handle one I don't wont some thing to heavy as I have trouble carrying my self hahaha and $300 is my limit I think you should get a good camera for that.

Thanks

Chris
AnswerID: 592159

Follow Up By: Phil 23 - Monday, Nov 02, 2015 at 08:32

Monday, Nov 02, 2015 at 08:32
If I was looking at a $300 budget I'd be choosing a 2nd hand Canon PowerShot G12 or similar.

Biased because I already own one, but my selection criteria is that it must have an optical viewfinder.

This one has Dioper adjustment, which means I can adjust the viewfinder for my eyes.
I find models with only an LCD screen very difficult to use in many situations.

You can also hold a camera much steadier with it up against your face and are not challenged by bright.

It's images & versatility are superb. Taken thousands of images with superb result.

Just my opinion, from someone that owns a couple of DSLR's & more than a handful of lenses.

Cheers

FollowupID: 860374

Reply By: Member - Robert1660 - Friday, Oct 30, 2015 at 21:02

Friday, Oct 30, 2015 at 21:02
Hi Chris,
After falling on some steps at St Paul's Cathedral in London and destroying my somewhat dated Canon compact I had to decide what to buy. Some key features of the new camera were it must be compact, thus no DSLR. It had to have an electronic viewfinder as well as the usual LCD. I also wanted something a little more sophisticated than the old Canon but still able to be used in a point and shoot fashion. A pop-up flash was also essential as the camera was designed as a travel camera. At the time the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III seemed to be a good choice. The only small disadvantage is that the zoom is only x3 but the lens was a fast f1.8 - 2.8. However, this is extended by an electronic zoom function. Although priced at a recommended price of about $1000 it came on special for high $700's. This is probably more than you want to pay, however the electronic view finder is fantastic. It avoids the issue of LCD screens not being able to be seen in bright sunlight. The fast lens is great for low light situations, no flash is needed. The movie function is able to produce excellent HD results.
These days of course one cannot go past a good mobile phone. However, a dedicated camera does have its advantages. Good luck with your choice.
Robert
Robert
Landcruiser 200 VX Diesel + 19ft Bushtracker

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 592160

Reply By: Member - Warren H - Friday, Oct 30, 2015 at 22:11

Friday, Oct 30, 2015 at 22:11
There's been some good advice offered in this thread, however I would like to add some other considerations:
1) Battery life - usually stated as the no. of shots with the flash used 50% of the time if the camera comes with an on-board flash. Some great cameras cameras burn batteries so you may need the ability to charge and or second battery;
2) Viewfinder electronic or otherwise - I personally like them but especially useful if you are at the stage of using reading glasses only. It will drive you nuts taking them on and off or hanging them off your nose;
3) Start up time and/or shutter lag i.e. press the button and nothing happens while the camera sorts itself out (e.g focus) less of an issue nowadays but still important if you want action shots. Note camera may be great in ideal conditions but poor in more challenging circumstances;
4) Low light performance, e.g. campfire shots.
Most of the top of the line or thereabouts compacts or 1" sensor cameras (e.g. Nikon one) will tick all these boxes or the mirrorless cameras such as the Olympus EM5 mentioned in this thread. Equally if your needs are less demanding just go down the ranges.
NT Pajero
2007 Goldstream Crown

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 592161

Follow Up By: TomH - Saturday, Oct 31, 2015 at 09:23

Saturday, Oct 31, 2015 at 09:23
The thing that kills batteries is using the flash when its not needed. All these people at sports events taking pics from the stands and have the flash on.. It only goes about 10metres at the very most so why bother.
We rarely use it and batteries last all day in my Wifes Sony WX300.
This has been a great little camera has a 20X zoom and does well in low light. We were at the Carlsbad Caverns and her pics were better than my video camera.

I wouldnt ever buy a camera that runs on AA or AAA batteries..
The Sony battery charges in under an hour.
Camera was $249 at Kogan Battery and USB charger $69 from Sony
FollowupID: 860289

Follow Up By: B1B2 - Saturday, Oct 31, 2015 at 10:05

Saturday, Oct 31, 2015 at 10:05
I would 2nd that on the batteries - do not buy one that uses AA or AAA.
Our canon powershot took great shots, and I have just chucked it in the bin.
You could put in 2 brand new AA's and it could say low battery. Other times it would work fine.
My DSLR Canon has a chargeable battery installed and is fantastic.

Good Luck
FollowupID: 860295

Follow Up By: Member - Warren H - Saturday, Oct 31, 2015 at 13:29

Saturday, Oct 31, 2015 at 13:29
Functions such as the Sony Alpha wi-fi hotspot used to transfer files to a phone or computer are absolute battery killers you can just about watch the battery monitor go down when running a wi-fi hot spot. Great to use just have to be able to recharge. Prolonged use of the LCD screen will also drain your battery. My DSLR gets >700 shots out of a charge whereas the Sony A5000 is down to 50% in one day's shooting (much smaller battery, no viewfinder).
NT Pajero
2007 Goldstream Crown

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 860301

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Friday, Oct 30, 2015 at 22:53

Friday, Oct 30, 2015 at 22:53
Check out the Digital Camera Warehouse site, Chris, before you go browsing through the shops. They have quite comprehensive info about all the cameras they sell.

I've been using Sony point-n-shoot cameras for some years and find the photos produced very good. They are about credit card size, or slightly bigger, and getting thinner by the day. The newest one I have is a W-670, with 16meg & 10x optical zoom. Have good battery life too.

Almost any similar cameras from likes of Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Olympus etc will keep you satisfied.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 592166

Reply By: Bazooka - Friday, Oct 30, 2015 at 23:51

Friday, Oct 30, 2015 at 23:51
I don't know if it's still a problem with Canon compact cameras Chris but but google 'canon camera battery problems'. My old powershot S2 IS suffered this problem after about 12 months - shutting down because it decided that even fresh batteries (AA) were flat. A nightmare which Canon didn't want to know about it seems. Changed to a Sony Nex camera and it's like stepping out of a Beetle and into a Lexus.
AnswerID: 592167

Reply By: Omaa - Saturday, Oct 31, 2015 at 07:11

Saturday, Oct 31, 2015 at 07:11
After seeing an ex professional photographer up at Ravenshow a few months ago & the camera he was using because he had to find one which did not involve using his huge lens as too heavy for him now.
The camera is a NikonP90 (0) Cane remember if 90 or 900. The wonderful thing is that the zoom is 20-2000. Naturally thought that it would be in the thousands. He got his a t Mackay in February for $789 & they are online for $640. Harvey Norman sell them for $749. My husband was even interested & he does not do the photographing an more. I can not give you any other specifications off the top of my head but he gave me an A4 photo he had taken & it is incredible.
Just my input for you.
AnswerID: 592170

Reply By: wholehog - Saturday, Oct 31, 2015 at 08:38

Saturday, Oct 31, 2015 at 08:38
Someone mentioned Digital Camera Warehouse...definately recommend that.

I have had various DSL/R's over thd years and curently use a Nikon with a multitude of f2.8 lenses.

However I find for travel and quick picture opportunities I am more and more using my phone, Samsung note 4. I have friends that also get good results from their iPhones as well.

Dont discount the use of a quality late phone for a lot of travel and social pictures and videos.
AnswerID: 592172

Reply By: TomH - Saturday, Oct 31, 2015 at 17:17

Saturday, Oct 31, 2015 at 17:17
$300 will buy a reasonable camera $2000 will buy you a "Good" camera.

I had a Nikon D200 with a Tamron 18-270 lens which the lens alone cost $930. I bought it because I didnt like changing lens in dusty conditions.

Served me well on a trip around the country but it was heavy and I didnt take it when going overseas.

Now use a Sony HD video camera and wifes Sony digital camera.

Just as good, as the D200 was only 10mp and the Sony is 18mp and cost 10% of the Nikon cost LOL
AnswerID: 592189

Reply By: mike39 - Sunday, Nov 01, 2015 at 08:15

Sunday, Nov 01, 2015 at 08:15
A brand so far not mentioned is Samsung.
I bought one for the wife to replace a Canon which had run its time.
Its a Samsung WB350F, 21x optical zoom, wifi to tablet (or computer) to upload pics (or through the battery charging micro usb port.)
Very good battery life between charges, uses a micro sd card, great quality pics and under $200 at the "Good Guys"
Mike
AnswerID: 592203

Reply By: Peter - Monday, Nov 02, 2015 at 08:08

Monday, Nov 02, 2015 at 08:08
Maybe a bit out of price range is Panasonic FZ 200 which has F2 lens This is at all zoom distances.
I replace a canon powershot sx10 with this. I have been quite happy .
AnswerID: 592256

Sponsored Links