ScanGauge question

Submitted: Saturday, Oct 31, 2015 at 08:55
ThreadID: 130746 Views:2193 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all.
Have been reading about the scanguage 2, and was wondering, if you have a fault code come up, and engine light comes on, if you don't know what it is, and clear it, if it's something serious, would it throw the code up again, and engine light comes back on? Or would it do damage, depending on what it is?
If you clear codes, but keep a copy of the codes for next service, would that be ok?
Was thinking about getting one, I guess you could do a few searches, and make a note of various codes, to keep in the glove box.. Any suggestions, or experience with these units would be a big help.. Thanks all.. Odog
Some people want it to happen, some people wish it could happen, others make it happen!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mick O - Saturday, Oct 31, 2015 at 09:32

Saturday, Oct 31, 2015 at 09:32
Odog, I think the whole idea of having the scan gauge is to identify what the fault with the vehicle is (through the fault code thrown up). This is so you can work on identifying the actual problem and fix it. The engine management systems of today's modern vehicles are amazing things and can often identify and fix a problem as they occur. When they can't they throw up a code to let you know you have an issue. Anyone who simply looks at the fault code and then deletes it because they can, is asking for serious trouble.

Some fault codes may indicate a transient issue that the engine management system or you can rectify (a bit of water detected in the fuel filter for example). Rough running and a code for "Air leak - Large" would have you looking at your tank and fuel lines for sign of damage. Unless an absolute priority to get the vehicle out of limp mode in the middle of the outback, you shouldn't be clearing unless absolutely sure that the issue is rectified and or you've cleared doing so with a service technician (that's where a sat phone is handy).

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 592175

Follow Up By: Mick O - Saturday, Oct 31, 2015 at 09:37

Saturday, Oct 31, 2015 at 09:37
P.S. Having said all that, I do own a diagnostic reader although it is not a scan gauge. They are a great thing to have on board particularly when trying to identify an engine issue miles from anywhere. The information can be invaluable to a competent technician who will often be able to troubleshoot and suggest a fix remotely. For everything else, I suggest having top cover RAA or local equivalent and getting it in to a service center for a proper check.

Cheers
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 860293

Reply By: Jackolux - Saturday, Oct 31, 2015 at 11:08

Saturday, Oct 31, 2015 at 11:08
I bought a SC-2 for my Dmax the main reason was to monitor the Auto Trans temp .

I found online a list of codes and what they were , I have printed and keep it with the manual .

AnswerID: 592178

Reply By: Member - Odog - Saturday, Oct 31, 2015 at 13:04

Saturday, Oct 31, 2015 at 13:04
That's the thing, if you have a bit of a list of codes and what they mean, if able to know where to start looking, that's half the problem.. Having top road side assist as mickO said is a must, in my opinion... At least if something minor, you can have a go at sorting it out, if you know what the code means.. Read somewhere, bout a jeep that went into limp mode.. Middle of nowhere, due to blown tail light globe..
Some people want it to happen, some people wish it could happen, others make it happen!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 592181

Follow Up By: Member - John - Saturday, Oct 31, 2015 at 13:18

Saturday, Oct 31, 2015 at 13:18
ODog, I heard it was a washer bottle low level, LOL...................
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 860300

Reply By: Member - Odog - Saturday, Oct 31, 2015 at 14:48

Saturday, Oct 31, 2015 at 14:48
Yeah, wouldn't suprise me! Can't see why they don't just have a display on the dash, that just says what is required, or what is wrong.. Be simpler really... Maybe have a little light, like a picture of a tow truck.. For if the s... Hits the fan... Ha.. Ha..

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 592182

Reply By: Gary T7 - Saturday, Oct 31, 2015 at 23:19

Saturday, Oct 31, 2015 at 23:19
Hi Odog
If it is a serious fault and cleared . Yes it will throw up the fault code straight away again, So clearing a hard fault as we call it is not a problem as it will return. The intermittent fault code is the code that does not return or light up the check engine light straight away but may return some time in the future. This is harder to diagnose without the code as this gives the teck the area to look for to find the fix. If you can, always get the code for the teck before clearing . If it is intermittent fault it is fine to still drive and get it looked at when next available.
Codes only give you the area in the computer system to look for the fault.
They cannot tell you the actual fault, only that the fault is in that system or area, may only be wire fallen off or bad connections or anything associated with that part of the system. There is too many mechanics today just take the easy way out and start replacing parts at the cost to the customer as they are not taught how to test components and wiring correctly .

Gary
AnswerID: 592199

Follow Up By: Member - Odog - Sunday, Nov 01, 2015 at 07:33

Sunday, Nov 01, 2015 at 07:33
Thanks Gary, that is good to know, big help.. Was thinking that was how they work.. If can't find what the code means, or the fix, make a note of it, or if possible make a call, then clear it, if comes up again.. Get help.. Cheers Odog

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 860324

Reply By: Member - Terry W4 - Sunday, Nov 01, 2015 at 10:45

Sunday, Nov 01, 2015 at 10:45
Just bought and installed a Scangauge for my 120 about 3 days ago. It is working a treat. I have also found and printed out the error codes for the Prado 120-150.

If you buy I'll send you a copy.

AnswerID: 592211

Follow Up By: Member - Odog - Sunday, Nov 01, 2015 at 13:41

Sunday, Nov 01, 2015 at 13:41
Thanks Terry, I'll send you a message. Cheers

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 860336

Sponsored Links