60 series Land Cruiser transfer case jumping out of gear

Submitted: Saturday, Oct 31, 2015 at 21:09
ThreadID: 130752 Views:2657 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hello there.
I recently purchased a 1988 Land Cruiser.
I have just come back to Alice Springs from a trip across the Simpson Desert in the the Northern Territory Australia.
The vehicle took all the sand dunes in its stride in second gear low ratio. However when idling down the dunes in third low the transfer case would jump out of gear back to neutral.
I found that if I held the selector lever it did not jump out of gear.
Just wondering if any one else has experienced this problem and if there is a solution.
Regards Stephen Humphrys
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: pop2jocem - Saturday, Oct 31, 2015 at 21:44

Saturday, Oct 31, 2015 at 21:44
It could be as simple as a broken/jammed detent spring on the selector rail or high wear on the low range selector fork or sliding cog.
Even more simple to check is if a stick, rock or whatever is physically stopping the external selector mechanism from fully engagisng. Maybe have someone sit inside and work the selector while you crawl under and inspect the operation of the selector mechanism.

Cheers
Pop
AnswerID: 592197

Reply By: maurice b - Saturday, Oct 31, 2015 at 22:11

Saturday, Oct 31, 2015 at 22:11
I have have had that happen to me in my 1987 model 60 series back in the early 90s and i have heard about it before. Happened to me twice and also in remote area.Its an easy fix by bending back one of the rods so you get full engagement. I cant remember exactly but i used a hollow pipe over the end of one of the rods and carefull bent it back . Any Gear box shop will known about it.
AnswerID: 592198

Reply By: Ross M - Sunday, Nov 01, 2015 at 12:03

Sunday, Nov 01, 2015 at 12:03
Often when going downhill the gearbox tends to rise a little on it's mounting.
IF there is insufficient clearance where the stick goes through the floor and the rubber stick boot is touching AND the stick isn't central in the hole, the stick can be tapped out of range because of that interference.

I would remove the boot and make sure ALL is clear and no fouling and the stick has free travel before any gearbox/tc considerations were attempted.

You may have to carve a bit more clearance in the floor pan to make it operate without fouling.
AnswerID: 592215

Reply By: Member - Serendipity(WA) - Tuesday, Nov 03, 2015 at 03:16

Tuesday, Nov 03, 2015 at 03:16
Yes I have had this problem before on my 1986 cruiser. The previous answers are correct.

Two things to look for.

Replace the detent spring - they get soft over the years. A very easy job. Small spring about 25mm long with a ball bearing held in place. Simple set up to keep the gear stick in gear.

The other thing was on that gear box the bracket that held the transfer gear could get bent so the recommendation was to weld a piece on the angle to reinforce the bracket. Means taking out your removeable floor pan to access the bracket, then remove the bracket. The extra part to weld ends up being across a triangle shape where one end uses a bolt hole and the other end is welded to where the bracket hangs out.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 592288

Sponsored Links