Diagnostic Readers (Scangauge, Ultraguage etc)

Submitted: Sunday, Nov 01, 2015 at 08:18
ThreadID: 130754 Views:2598 Replies:3 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
I have just brought a D-Max and I am looking for the best Diagnostic Reader for this vehicle as part of my tool kit to keep it going should the brown stuff hit the fan. Also want to monitor the transmission temp.
I know that the Scanguage 2 is one that is very popular, but I also know that there are others, and that at least one other illustrious member uses something different.

This was discussed in Thread 104734 but that was over 2 years ago and things may have changed.

Any recommendations? and has anything changed?
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Athol W1 - Sunday, Nov 01, 2015 at 08:39

Sunday, Nov 01, 2015 at 08:39
Idler Chris
I to have just purchased a Dmax and I am using the Scangauge 11 that I had in my previous vehicle. Works well (after some minor reprogramming) and also fits directly in front of driver in the dip in the top of the dash (150mm from windscreen), easy to see and out of the way.

Regards
Athol
AnswerID: 592204

Follow Up By: Jackolux - Sunday, Nov 01, 2015 at 10:44

Sunday, Nov 01, 2015 at 10:44
I use a SC2. for my Dmax to monitor the Auto Trans temp , l know there are other devices but the SC2 is a proven item , l researched it on the Dmax forum , that is what most owners use , there was nothing negative said about the SC2 .
FollowupID: 860333

Follow Up By: Jackolux - Sunday, Nov 01, 2015 at 10:52

Sunday, Nov 01, 2015 at 10:52
One other thing if you do get a ScanGauge 2 , if you have any questions , you only have to jump on the Dmax Forum they have all the info / answers .

Suggest you blokes join the forum if you havent already, lots of good info specific to Dmax .
FollowupID: 860334

Reply By: Member - Geoff M (VIC) - Sunday, Nov 01, 2015 at 15:38

Sunday, Nov 01, 2015 at 15:38
Hi Chris,
I have the Ultragauge installed on my cruiser and it's been fine. I have the scangauge on my previous vehicle (2007 BT50) before it (the vehicle) fell to bits!

The ultragauge has a better display than the scangauge and more parameters can be displayed. The one problem I have with the ultragauge is that it doesn't calculate the fuel usage very well offroad and the scanguage was much better here (due to the cutoff of fuel when the accelerator is not pressed I think).

Having used both, my personal preference would be the ultragauge.

Cheers,
Geoff
AnswerID: 592223

Follow Up By: Idler Chris - Sunday, Nov 01, 2015 at 15:48

Sunday, Nov 01, 2015 at 15:48
Your answer could not have been better - personnel experience. Where did you get and about how much? I put "buy ultraguage" in Google with no useful response.
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 860341

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff M (VIC) - Sunday, Nov 01, 2015 at 16:09

Sunday, Nov 01, 2015 at 16:09
Hi Chris,

Unfortunately there doesn't appear to be an Australian distributer of the Ultragauge, just the US one. Check out their website at http://ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/index.htm.

(Here is the link hopefully UltraGauge Website)

Have a read on the website (lots of good info there), I bought mine direct from them without any problems but it was over three years ago.

Good luck!

Cheers, Geoff
FollowupID: 860343

Follow Up By: Bigfish - Sunday, Nov 01, 2015 at 18:03

Sunday, Nov 01, 2015 at 18:03
I have had an Ultrgauge in my Pajero for about a year now. Absolutely brilliant. Great screen and oodles of settings/programmes . The alarm feature is simple..as is the rest of the gauge. Better screen than the scangauge as well. Direct from USA only. If you are after one for the auto temperature as well make sure you get the MX model and you will probably find the settings on your vehicles forum site. I assume that the auto temp may have to be programmed up(it did on the Pajero, but was the only thing that needed inputting different codes).

There are many on the Pajero forum who use the Ultragauge and no-one has had an issue...that's a good recommendation from actual users. There is also a new Bluetooth connection one. Check out their website.

cheers
FollowupID: 860352

Follow Up By: PhilD - Tuesday, Nov 03, 2015 at 00:44

Tuesday, Nov 03, 2015 at 00:44
I have a new Ultragauge that still has its plastic on the screen. A great unit, but I have an EASY system for my Iveco, so it is not needed. If interested, please let me know.
FollowupID: 860422

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, Nov 08, 2015 at 07:58

Sunday, Nov 08, 2015 at 07:58
Phil,

I'd be interested in taking that Ultragauge off your hands, if you still have it?

You can contact me at youngie569 at gmail dot com

Or reply to this follow up,

Thanks,
Bob
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 860637

Reply By: Sigmund - Wednesday, Nov 04, 2015 at 13:50

Wednesday, Nov 04, 2015 at 13:50
You could also look into a Bluetooth OBDII reader that speaks to an app on a smartphone. Last I looked a reader was about $70 at Jaycar and cheaper from the cheapie outlets.

This could be a good option if you already are using a smartphone and want to keep the number of added screens to a sensible limit.

I use a ScanGauge II in my MU-X and it does what I want.
AnswerID: 592333

Sponsored Links