Phoenix Caravans

Submitted: Sunday, Nov 01, 2015 at 15:48
ThreadID: 130757 Views:4694 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Does anyone owned or know about Phoenix off road vans. Around 1998 to 2004
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Notso - Sunday, Nov 01, 2015 at 16:26

Sunday, Nov 01, 2015 at 16:26
Now that's an interesting question. A friend had one and loved it but said that the brand had been taken over by someone else and they weren't the same anymore, not sure whether that was good or bad. Now I have no idea when that was supposed to have happened so I guess this isn't a lot of use to you but might be worth some more research.

This link tells one side of the story.Phoenix Story
AnswerID: 592225

Reply By: TomH - Sunday, Nov 01, 2015 at 17:25

Sunday, Nov 01, 2015 at 17:25
Phoenix were originally built by the Davidson family who now run Caboolture Caravan repairs.

Were supposedly the best offroad or any van built at the time.

Have been through several owners since the original owners sold out.

I believe Sunland has an interest in whats left of the Company now
AnswerID: 592229

Follow Up By: mike39 - Sunday, Nov 01, 2015 at 17:42

Sunday, Nov 01, 2015 at 17:42
Sadly, they were hyped up to be better than they were.
Too high, constricted in inside space, plenty of other off road vans made at the time were much more capable and affordable.
mike
FollowupID: 860349

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Tuesday, Nov 03, 2015 at 00:02

Tuesday, Nov 03, 2015 at 00:02
Mike, when Barry commenced building these vans he introduced the concept of off road vans. The only thing you could compare them with were soft road vans.As far as the "too high" goes they were not as high as some of the monsters you see round now. Also they were a little narrower than the other vans which in turn gave the appearance of them being high. The original ones were not so much constricted in space but were built in a time when few vans were over 20' long. Barry's original concept was to keep vans short so they would go to remote places, they were not just rough road vans that will not go along twisting bush tracks like the majority of long modern vans.His original vans would go where most of the camper trailers would go.. Unfortunately he could not sell many of his real off road vans as buyers were demanding longer twin axle vans that not go to all the places his shorter ones would go. Barry's vans would be the equal of the Bushtrackers.

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 860418

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Tuesday, Nov 03, 2015 at 00:13

Tuesday, Nov 03, 2015 at 00:13
"Phoenix were originally built by the Davidson family who now run Caboolture Caravan repairs"

Tom, I think you will find that Caboolture Caravan Repairs came first. Barry used the facilities to build his vans. He sold off the van building part as he wanted to go back to just being a van repairer.

When the last owner was about to go down the tubes Sunland and the Davidsons rescued most of the vans that had substantial deposits paid. Some I think had bee actually paid for. Some of the owners complained about having to put their hand in their pocket for Sunland to finish them but they at least did not loose all they had paid. I think that most of the discussin on thesaga vanished when the old MSN forums closed down.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 860419

Reply By: Motherhen - Monday, Nov 02, 2015 at 01:07

Monday, Nov 02, 2015 at 01:07
The original Davidson built Phoenix caravans were as tough as nails and most are still going strong.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 592249

Follow Up By: Member - neville G (QLD) - Monday, Nov 02, 2015 at 08:37

Monday, Nov 02, 2015 at 08:37
We have a Phoenix (04) vintage, one of the last of the Davidson built vans. It has been virtually faultless and has covered over 100000k,s.and much of that on ordinary roads, Savanah way, Gibb river and many really rougher roads. We always deflate tyres and the van receives regular service, we hope to be doing many more klm,s. before we retire. We have single beds in our van, it is a 19ft.(inside) van and we feel that it gives us more room inside that most other vans of this size. It is fitted with three 120w. AGM batteries and three 130w. solar panels as well as a 3KVA generator, we free camp quite a lot and rarely run the gen.set.
I hope this is of some use.
Cheers, Neville G.
FollowupID: 860375

Reply By: Twinkles - Monday, Nov 02, 2015 at 08:56

Monday, Nov 02, 2015 at 08:56
Thank you. I've been looking at a 2002, very clean P van.
AnswerID: 592259

Sponsored Links