Gunbarrel Highway and the Pilbara Trip

Submitted: Tuesday, Nov 03, 2015 at 07:38
ThreadID: 130775 Views:2783 Replies:2 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Everyone,
We have recently returned from a 15,000k trip to the Pilbara and SW Western Australia, via the Oodnadatta track, the Great Central road, Gunbarrel Highway, the Pilbara, then down the coast of WA visiting places like Ningaloo reef, Shark Bay, Cape Peron, Kalbarri NP, Perth, Mandurah,the Margaret River Region and then across the Nullarbor back to Sydney.
Our highlight which was shared with a couple from Geelong in Victoria, was our journey along the Gunbarrel Highway. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Camp Beadell and Geraldton Bore and exploring Len Beadell's tracks. We had a very welcoming stay at Carnegie Station, a large working cattle station with very friendly staff.
We spent a lot of time planning and preparing which payed off. Our landcruiser 100 series and Aussie Swag off road camper never missed a beat. We drove to conditions and aired down our tyres where necessary. We got a tyre pressure monitoring system from tyrecheckers ,it was a tyredog, and wouldn't leave home without one.
Thanks to ExplorOz for all the information and to everyone who helped with our research. We will be starting our plans for our next trip soon.
(We ran a blog through blogger, )
oldresto327.blogspot.com
Cheers Judy and Laurie
Back Expand Un-Read 5 Moderator

Reply By: baznpud (tassie) - Tuesday, Nov 03, 2015 at 08:43

Tuesday, Nov 03, 2015 at 08:43
Hi Guys,
Sounds like a very interesting trip, why not put your blog up on ExplorOz so that all of those who helped you, can also enjoy your trip.
baz
Go caravaning, life is so much shorter than death.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 592300

Follow Up By: Member - Judy and Laurie - Tuesday, Nov 03, 2015 at 08:45

Tuesday, Nov 03, 2015 at 08:45
I'm not too sure how to do that
FollowupID: 860431

Follow Up By: baznpud (tassie) - Tuesday, Nov 03, 2015 at 13:43

Tuesday, Nov 03, 2015 at 13:43
Hi J & L,
We haven't put a blog up but the way i see you do it, is
Click on Menue.
Scroll down to Blogs, then click on it.
Scroll down till you see the words "New Blog" in orange box.
Click on that and away you go.
If that's not the correct way, i'm sure someone wiser than i, will come to your rescue.
Cheers.
baz
Go caravaning, life is so much shorter than death.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 860455

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Tuesday, Nov 03, 2015 at 13:52

Tuesday, Nov 03, 2015 at 13:52
What Baz said, J 'n L,

What I do, and many of the more experienced EO bloggers do, is to type your text in Word, do all the spell checks etc, then copy 'n paste to the EO blog page. Images need to be loaded after text, I seem to recall.

Easy peasy,
Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 860456

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Tuesday, Nov 03, 2015 at 14:06

Tuesday, Nov 03, 2015 at 14:06
If the other blog is all good, then copy / paste that is an option too !
(Might need to do pics separately.)

What an awesome journey, that's what life is about, getting out there and living :)
All the best for future trips, I'm sure you have more planned for the 100 and camper ??
FollowupID: 860458

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Nov 03, 2015 at 14:39

Tuesday, Nov 03, 2015 at 14:39
Hi Judie and Laurie

Just like the posts above, please put a blog on EO

And to make it stand out, add lots of images, and make them a good size and not the size of a postage stamp, as some members do.

You have added a photo to your profile, and adding images to a blog is no different.

Looking forward to reading your blog.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 860460

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Tuesday, Nov 03, 2015 at 15:40

Tuesday, Nov 03, 2015 at 15:40
Don't use Word - when you cut/paste in brings in lots of junk code that will mess up your layout. The Blogs have an inbuilt draft feature anyway so you can type it up and save as you go along. If you wish to type up a separate document first, and cut/paste then use something like Notepad that does not add formatting.

when you insert pics, use the button at the bottom of the blog page to add the photos. Best to either load all pics together at beginning or end, or spread out 3 at a time in between paragraphs. The page autosizes the photos to fit if you use 3 wide. Do not resize your photos. Just let the system handle it. Photos appear as thumnails to others reading and they click to enlarge and open a gallery with tools to zoom etc. It is not about laying out the photos with the text as if in a book. Blogs are interactive to a point. And people know to click on photos. Don't load all 2000 of your trip pics on a blog page. If you've done a multi-week trip and want to show a lot of details - write separate blog entries to break up your trip into logical segments. Use the date feature to custom-set the date to your actual trip dates and day of the trip you wish. If you use EOTrackMe you can also save your routes which makes them User Routes and then you can click the Embed User Route button in your blog to show a map of your whole trip - nice!!! So you can see the photos, read the story, and see the map all on the one page.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 860464

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Nov 03, 2015 at 19:35

Tuesday, Nov 03, 2015 at 19:35
Hi Michelle

That is very interesting indeed. Being a Mac user and using Pages, does it have the same problems as "Word"

If your not sure., I can knock up a quick blog using pages and add photos to see if it brings in junk codes?

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 860467

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Tuesday, Nov 03, 2015 at 19:56

Tuesday, Nov 03, 2015 at 19:56
Hi Stephen, the issue is text formatting not photos. The blogs dont support the stylesheets of word processing programs so wiil attempt to ignore the text formatting. Most times it will work ok but sometimes you will see funny blogs with what looks like extra line spacing or carriage returns too early and that is why. Images can only be loaded to a blog using the button. This adds the correct image coding to launch the gallery tools. Hope this helps.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 860468

Follow Up By: Member - Judy and Laurie - Tuesday, Nov 03, 2015 at 22:30

Tuesday, Nov 03, 2015 at 22:30
Thanks all for the info on posting a blog , I am not really that good on the computer and with the lack of service in the outback we just posted what we could . When we could. We had EO trackMe but are unsure how to down load it either.
Cheers Judy and Laurie
FollowupID: 860473

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Nov 03, 2015 at 23:02

Tuesday, Nov 03, 2015 at 23:02
I didn't know that Michelle, and have always prepared the text for My Blogs in Word. I understand what you are saying because I can sometimes have problems with my website if copying and pasting text from elsewhere. If this occurs, I copy and paste the text into Notepad which "cleans" it. I usually prepare the Blogs here in tandem with my website, and there has been a big gap in both for a few months.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 860477

Reply By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Tuesday, Nov 03, 2015 at 22:48

Tuesday, Nov 03, 2015 at 22:48
Enjoyed reading your blog on site you posted the link to. Photos good also.

Cheers

Dunc

Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 592321

Sponsored Links