Travelling to WA Feb 2016

Submitted: Friday, Nov 06, 2015 at 20:36
ThreadID: 130821 Views:2102 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
We are travelling with friends to the West at the end of February and returning home before ANZAC Day (Victoria).

We will be departing from the Warrnambool area, travelling into SA and then the West, we intend to travel about 600k's a day then free camp...so this is were I need some help, yes I do have the Camp 6 book, Mud Maps 2 and Wiki camps, but for those who have travelled that journey, and camped along the way would have a better idea...and what a great place to ask, is this forum...

So I am asking and maybe like so many others, recommendations of free camp spots from SA to Albany and The Margaret River area...we will only be going as far north as Bunbury..

We have a 2011 Triton towing a dual axle Jayco Discovery Outback
Our friends have a Jeep towing a Bailey type caravan...
We are like chalk and cheese...as far as vans go...

I plan to create a database with
timings, even thou things may change as we travel...or someone may have one already setup...that would be great...

So I hope you can help....

Regards
Steve & Maggie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen - Friday, Nov 06, 2015 at 23:38

Friday, Nov 06, 2015 at 23:38
Hi Steve and Maggi

I can give you advice privately about camping across Nullarbor and the south coast of Western Australia which will cover most of your journey. Most of the Western Australian coastal Shires do not allow camping outside of designated camping areas, and although there are not a lot that are free there are low cost campgrounds. The Augusta Margaret River Shire has a number of low cost campgrounds in their Shire. I can be reached via my profile or My Blogs.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 592422

Reply By: 671 - Sunday, Nov 08, 2015 at 00:09

Sunday, Nov 08, 2015 at 00:09
My wife and I toured through the south of WA and over the Eyre Hwy from west to east a couple of years ago. We went over there via the Gunbarrell Hwy. We were using a 4wd single cab with a camper on the back and had no trouble finding free sites but it may not be so easy with two vans.

In areas like that we usually try and avoid main roads, unless there is something worth seeing on them, and go down every back road that we can find. It is amazing what you find when you do that.

One night was spent on the old Dundas Coach Road at the remains of the Lady Mary town site.Dundas coach road We followed a track up over a hill on the eastern side of the site and immediately found a spot with beautiful views and a million wild flowers.

That road is unsealed but in excellent condition and well worth seeing. That is the reason why I mentioned it. If the tourist bureau in Norseman says it is not suitable for vans then leave them in town and take the short run around it without them.

Another camp spot with a difference was on a 40 k section of the old unsealed section of the Eyre Hwy between the road up to Cook on the railway line and Nullarbor Roadhouse. If your vans are suitable for easy dirt roads then you should not have any problems.

The original road was about five lanes wide. It is now covered with only sparse vegetation because it is so hard packed. There are now two easy wheel tracks winding along it.

We stopped half way along it and it was a strange but pleasant feeling camping there. The country is completely flat, the vegetation is very low, you can see the horizon in all directions and you feel like you are in the middle of a calm ocean with not another person for miles.
AnswerID: 592451

Reply By: Coenen N & G (WA) - Sunday, Nov 08, 2015 at 20:05

Sunday, Nov 08, 2015 at 20:05
Get your hands on the free camps in the south west of WA book available on this site. We camped at roadside rest areas on the nullabor, they are large and frequent so no worries there, all listed in the camps book u have. School holidays will make camping around southern WA area interesting at that time of year but if you avoid those you will be fine. Not too many free areas here but some quite cheap. Enjoy!
AnswerID: 592480

Sponsored Links