Hayman Reece vs Tekonsha brake controller

Submitted: Thursday, Nov 12, 2015 at 16:21
ThreadID: 130875 Views:4005 Replies:2 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I have had a Tekonsha Prodigy for several years in my Patrol and been very happy with it. I've recently bought an almost new Pajero which is fitted with a Hayman Reece Sentinel controller.
I have no experience with the HR product. Any advice please on whether I keep the Sentinel or replace it with my Prodigy. We'll be towing a 2500kg caravan.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: TomH - Thursday, Nov 12, 2015 at 18:17

Thursday, Nov 12, 2015 at 18:17
If you are happy with the Prodigy I would keep what you know I can only find a report on a Tekonsha Sentinel.

HR products are just rebadged Tekonsha's anyway.On looking at different forums I would keep the Prodigy
AnswerID: 592642

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Thursday, Nov 12, 2015 at 19:08

Thursday, Nov 12, 2015 at 19:08
Hayman Reece controllers are made by Tekonsha - see this link However the Sentinel is one that Tekonsha have deleted from their range because it is old technology. It is the type that is called a synchroniser or timer controller.

Do not keep it. It's better used as a paper weight.

I would suggest that no one uses one of the synchroniser types. The explanation below shows why you should opt for a proportional type.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 592644

Follow Up By: Kazza055 - Thursday, Nov 12, 2015 at 22:04

Thursday, Nov 12, 2015 at 22:04
Good advise from Peter. I had one in my first tow vehicle and all they are is like a volume control.

You can buy a brand new Tekonsha IQ Primus for as little as $79.00 which is a proportional controller - in other words, the harder you brake the harder it brakes the van. Adjust it once and then it is set for life. The HR Sentinel needs to be continuously adjusted depending on your speed and the type of road surface.

I personally always leave the old one in the old car and have a new unit installed as at $79, why would you bother. Have a look here - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TEKONSHA-PRIMUS-IQ-ELECTRIC-BRAKE-CONTROLLER-SUIT-CARAVAN-TRAILER-BOAT-NEW-/301645877498?hash=item463b7ed0fa:g:ya8AAOSwHjNWCJvK
FollowupID: 860828

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Thursday, Nov 12, 2015 at 22:11

Thursday, Nov 12, 2015 at 22:11
The Tekonsha IQ Primus has the same basic engine as the more expensive models. It just does not have the fancy monitoring that the expensive ones have.

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 860829

Follow Up By: TomH - Thursday, Nov 12, 2015 at 23:23

Thursday, Nov 12, 2015 at 23:23
The OP was asking for an opinion on two controllers he ALREADY HAS and wants to keep one of them.

Keep the Prodigy Bin the other one save your money you dont need a new one.
FollowupID: 860831

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Friday, Nov 13, 2015 at 19:13

Friday, Nov 13, 2015 at 19:13
I would have to disagree with the comments re the proportional type controller.
They are not necessarily the "bees knees", especially on unsealed and slippery surfaces.

I personally have no problems whatsoever with my non-proportional Redarc controller, but Redarc have in fact released their latest controller (Tow-Pro) which utilises both forms of braking technology, for use both on sealed and unsealed surfaces.

- Automatic mode (Inertia sensing) for highway conditions, trailer brakes are applied at a proportional level to the vehicle braking level

- User Controlled Mode for off road, the trailer brakes are applied to the level set by the user.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 860856

Sponsored Links