Anyone travelling the Canning Stock Route in December - January 2015

Yes, I know, sounds like a ghastly idea .. but looking at entries in the Visitor's Books, people do it.

My reason for asking: In January ... if anyone is travelling the Canning Stock Route north to south at this extreme time of year ... and has space for a CSR savvy hitchhiker ... please contact me. It is my wish to experience the CSR in all its seasons ...

A quick cv:

2010 hitched from Billiluna to Wiluna in a 2WD Peugeot 505
2011 hitched from Kunawarritji to Halls Creek in multiple vehicles, staying at wells for up to a week between lifts
2013 travelled in a vehicle from Wiluna to Billiluna burying supplies for my solo walk
2013 walked it solo from Billiluna to Wiluna in 66 days, without a support vehicle
2015 drove Wiluna to Halls Creek solo in 2.5 months (bush tucker and water research)
2015 drove it again Halls Creek to Wiluna with a passenger

Yes ... I love the Canning Stock Route.

045 616 0301

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Gaynor - Sunday, Nov 15, 2015 at 05:29

Sunday, Nov 15, 2015 at 05:29
This inquiry was answered yesterday by an ExploOz reader. Many thanks. I have my lift!

No slouch with regards to the CSR he has travelled it 5 times, once in November, so he knows from eperience that it is going to be HOT.

Happy travels!
AnswerID: 592729

Follow Up By: Member - ACD 1 - Sunday, Nov 15, 2015 at 22:34

Sunday, Nov 15, 2015 at 22:34
Good luck Gaynor

You truly are a dedicated woman!


FollowupID: 860935

Reply By: Gaynor - Monday, Nov 16, 2015 at 08:46

Monday, Nov 16, 2015 at 08:46
Thanks Anthony.

We have hit a glitch, however. Time.

The gentleman who answered this post is retired, but has family commitments over the festive season until 16 January. That does not give us enough time on the Canning as I must be in Perth on the 8th February in order to fly back to South Africa. It is, unfortunately not a negotiable date as my visa expires the next day.

To travel the Canning we need to allow for a minimum of 4 weeks due the possibility of encountering storms, flooding and bogging. I have travelling the CSR in 11 days before in the dry. It was mission based and left no time to enjoy the country. Three weeks is, for me, an absolute minimum. But we need to allow for possible hold ups due to weather.

That means starting at the top end in the first week of January or early in the second week at the latest.

So ... still looking for that lift. If it happens GREAT. I really would love to see the Canning in a time less travelled. But let us see what transpires.
AnswerID: 592773

Follow Up By: Gaynor - Monday, Nov 16, 2015 at 08:50

Monday, Nov 16, 2015 at 08:50
P.S. I have commitments until 18 December. I am free to travel after that, so can leave earlier that January if that suits.
FollowupID: 860947

Reply By: Gaynor - Thursday, Dec 03, 2015 at 18:05

Thursday, Dec 03, 2015 at 18:05
So I am up here in Halls Creek Caravan Park.....and I am the only one.....

Well actually a caravaning couple just came in.

I am so used to seeing this place popping at the seams with travellers. Guess the 40 C plus heat is frightening almost everyone away.

Been up here at the top end for two weeks. Lots of huff and puff, black clouds, lightening and wind ... followed a few hours later by blue skies or stars...and no rain. Temperatures usually around 39 to 43C. Not that bad unless you are hiking with heavy backpack.

Still keen on a lift down the CSR if there is another crazy person out there planning a trip down :-)

AnswerID: 593355

Sponsored Links