95 Hilux Gear Problems

Submitted: Monday, Nov 16, 2015 at 02:46
ThreadID: 130899 Views:1950 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, I need some advice before I take my ute to a mechanic. I've got a 95 Hilux that's almost done 300,000ks and I'm now having issues with some of the gears. First of all I had issues getting it into 1st gear and sometimes even reverse. The car is now making an awful sound and pops out of gear whilst driving along. This has happenned to me when I've been in third gear. Im assuming the clutch is gone on it, but am wandering if the gear box would also be screwed? Any info would be appreciated as Im not very mechanically minded.

Cheers,
Sarah
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bigred13 - Monday, Nov 16, 2015 at 07:29

Monday, Nov 16, 2015 at 07:29
Hi Sarah K3 ,yes it definately sounds like the gearbox needs an overhaul ,not the clutch, although it would be wise to do that while the gearbox is out.Usually if it is jumping out of gear ,it means the bearings are worn and it is putting pressure on the shafts that hold them in alignment,the other problem may be easier and cheaper to look for ,is at the bottom of the gear lever are the selector shafts,these move the gears into the various positions,sometimes the springs that hold the lever in position are either weak or broken and will let the gears pop out,that would be easier to check first ,but if you say it is making a lot of noise ,then unfortunately it seems a removal and rebuild is the answer .
All the best,but it may pay to get a male friend who is a bit savvy on mechanics to be with you when you go to a mechanic,and get more than one quote,or get a 2nd hand complete gearbox.
Cheers
AnswerID: 592769

Reply By: Member - mechpete - Monday, Nov 16, 2015 at 07:32

Monday, Nov 16, 2015 at 07:32
hi sarah k3
if it is jumping out of gear ,that won,t be caused by the clutch

hi sarah k3
it unlikely be a clutch problem causing it to jump out of gear
that's not to say there isn,t a clutch problem that maybe causing the issue with getting
into 1st an reverse
cheers mechpete

AnswerID: 592770

Follow Up By: Athol W1 - Monday, Nov 16, 2015 at 09:17

Monday, Nov 16, 2015 at 09:17
Sarah k3

I fully agree with mechpete, difficulty getting into 1st and reverse gears indicate a possible clutch problem (and you would not remove a gearbox at 300k and not replace the clutch), the jumping out of 3rd and noisy operation are certainly gearbox issues.

Athol, retired motor mechanic GoldCoast
FollowupID: 860950

Reply By: Member - Darwin Dave - Monday, Nov 16, 2015 at 10:00

Monday, Nov 16, 2015 at 10:00
Hi Sarah,

The gear lever has a plastic bush on the end of it and another one 200mm up that the lever swivels on. Replace both bushes and do the transfer case lever at the same time. When they disintegrate gears don't get selected correctly so they jump out and make noises.

The whole job can be done from inside the cab in a couple of hours and that's whilst enjoying a beer at the same time. We have had 2 x 1994 Hilux's same problem with both (1 x 2.8 diesel and 1 x V6 petrol twice). The longest part of the job is trying to retrieve the disintegrated plastic bits.

Many Hilux's do over 300,000 on the original clutch, the clutch is not your problem but if the gearbox has to come out, replace it with a genuine Toyota assembly.

Hope this is of help.

Regards, Dave

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 592775

Reply By: mountainman - Monday, Nov 16, 2015 at 17:09

Monday, Nov 16, 2015 at 17:09
Oh my god..
I can tell you from my experience..
GET LOTS OF QUOTES ON THE GEARBOX work

some charge like its GOLD..
other offer a superb price and upgrades at no extra cost
think I should of been a gearbox guy
retire by age 30
Some charge a grand on top of what others normally charge and offer CRAP WARRANTY
AnswerID: 592781

Sponsored Links