Karlamilyi (Rudall River) NP van access

Has anyone tried doing the track through Karlamilyi NP towing an off road van? I have had different opinions on the condition of the track so am unsure if it is feasible.

Thanks Graham
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Barry H (WA) - Monday, Nov 16, 2015 at 15:46

Monday, Nov 16, 2015 at 15:46
Hi GrahamD2,

The bloke you need to talk to about that is Mick O, he has been there so many times I think he owns the joint, PM him I am sure he can tell you the answer.

Regards
Barry H
AnswerID: 592780

Reply By: Mick O - Monday, Nov 16, 2015 at 17:15

Monday, Nov 16, 2015 at 17:15
Probably not the best option Graham. The road in from Telfor is quite good as far as the KintoreMine which is only a couple of km short of the DQB turnoff. From there the road gets quite sandy and confined in places. The track in to DQB is tight, rough, hedged and has quite a few sharp gully crossings. Short OR van then probably achievable but certainly not a comfortable run in your average Bushtracker. You wouldn't want to be adverse to getting the odd pinstripe on the van either ;-)

Track into Tjarra pool along the Watrarra Creek- Rudall River is OK but there are a couple of steep washed out areas that would take some careful negotiating. It's tight in that camp area as well meaning I'd be inclined to back it in to the camp spot. This is the route that comes along the northern side of the Rudall then up the Watrara and crosses it a couple of Km from Tjarra pool.

Yes you'd get in to Klakan Kalkan soak area but it would only be worth it within a few weeks of a bloody good rain otherwise it would be dry. The other option is to come at Tjarra from the south via the track that turns off near the old airstrip on the southern side of the Rudall. This track actually goes out to Hanging Rock but at the saw tooth ridge, if you take the right track. This heads straight to Tjarra Pool. The left takes you down the southern side of the saw tooth and continues on to Curran Curran and Hanging Rock - Yes you'd get there in the van but you have two sandy creek crossings just before reaching hanging rock and an overgrown section in between them. Not too hard but you'd want the tyres low and plenty of torque to get you through.

Like most outback roads, it will be influenced and the conditions changed by the elements, the amount of indigenous traffic heading b/n Punmu and Parrngurr. If you could leave the van parked at Coolbro creek and do day trips, then yep, you'll see the lot. Coolbro creek is easily reached and the campspot above the creek is a great place to stop. Hope that’s of some help.

All of the above mentioned are listed as places on the EO database so you should be able to find them and the supporting tracks.

Karlamilyi (Rudall River) National Park

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 592782

Follow Up By: Member - Graham D2 - Monday, Nov 16, 2015 at 20:07

Monday, Nov 16, 2015 at 20:07
Thanks for all the info Mick. As we will be travelling west along the Gary Junction Road the northern approach seems to be best staying at Coolbro Ck and doing a few day trips. I notice on the map that near Moses Chair there are two tracks that cross the creek and seem to end up near the hand pump. Is it better to take the track 'straight' ahead or the one that turns to the SE?

Graham
FollowupID: 860960

Follow Up By: Mick O - Monday, Nov 16, 2015 at 20:50

Monday, Nov 16, 2015 at 20:50
Mate take the one that goes straight ahead to Duck Pool. You do not want to go out to Pirkil Bluff. I doubt if you'd pick the turn to that track up unless the mining company have regraded it recently.

Go through the Coolbro Creek crossing and the camp area is on the top of the hill on the right overlooking Duck Pool.

Cheers and enjoy. It's a great part of the world.

Mick
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 860964

Follow Up By: Member - Graham D2 - Tuesday, Nov 17, 2015 at 10:49

Tuesday, Nov 17, 2015 at 10:49
Thanks Mick. Our plan is to go in June next year. We did the Tip this year and we start planning as soon as we get back home.

Graham
FollowupID: 860980

Follow Up By: Joe Fury - Tuesday, Nov 17, 2015 at 13:49

Tuesday, Nov 17, 2015 at 13:49
G'day Mick O

I trust you won't mind my reply, even if I have no real advice for anyone wishing to tow anything into or possibly through the Rudall River National Park (Karlamilyi).

My reply is aimed squarely at you simply because you are one bloke of a very few in our modern times that actually chronicles his travels in an informative, believable and enjoyable way, be that text or video, I know you take great care in your research and preparations before heading into the Great Sandy Desert or any other remote region.

A past quote you once used was along the lines of "The shortest written note outlasts the longest memory" ~ this little quote actually struck a chord with me, simply because it translates to accuracy.

For your "notes"

Telfer is the mining centre, not Telfor.

Kintyre is the Uranium project, not Kintore.

Safe travels : Joe Fury

FollowupID: 860986

Follow Up By: Mick O - Tuesday, Nov 17, 2015 at 17:20

Tuesday, Nov 17, 2015 at 17:20
Thanks Joe but my notes are accurate and perhaps I should have referred to them lol.

I think it's more a result of reliance on auto-correct and my lack of proof reading before posting.

Just to allay your fears, I did note the mistakes after I'd posted but....what are you gonna do?

Pretty sure the OP knows where I mean though.

So have you heard any reports over the Kintyre development proposals as yet? I'd be interested to see what the talk on the ground is after the conditional approval for development was granted back in April. I wonder when we'll see the big machinery rolling and what that will mean for the northern access road and some of those art sites on the edge of the range within the lease area. Interesting times

Cheers and safe travels
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 860992

Follow Up By: Joe Fury - Wednesday, Nov 18, 2015 at 11:24

Wednesday, Nov 18, 2015 at 11:24
G'day Mick

I know it does not seem a big deal to some people, the typo or a 'klanger' but one day you and Alan M 'equinox' will be thanked for your chronicled adventures, you two are actually making history and historic fact should be documented as accurately as possibly.

I know you both endeavour to maintain high standards in documenting your exploits, I was just surprised at the 'klangers' in your reply to Graham D2.

I tend to get cheezed off with things that to some seem unimportant, as the children of today who might just one day in the future wish to travel and explore have this sort of crap to contend with ~ sadly the crap information is right here in my home town at the $245,000 + visitor information bay.

Safe travels : Joe F

FollowupID: 861014

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Monday, Nov 16, 2015 at 19:41

Monday, Nov 16, 2015 at 19:41
testing reply
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 592786

Follow Up By: Member - Graham D2 - Monday, Nov 16, 2015 at 20:08

Monday, Nov 16, 2015 at 20:08
Received Michelle.
FollowupID: 860961

Follow Up By: Member - John - Monday, Nov 16, 2015 at 20:24

Monday, Nov 16, 2015 at 20:24
All Ok now, no need for a restart, strange things computers....................... Thanks
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 860963

Reply By: Member - Barry H (WA) - Monday, Nov 16, 2015 at 23:05

Monday, Nov 16, 2015 at 23:05
See I told you Mick O would know.

Regards

Barry H
AnswerID: 592791

Follow Up By: Member - Graham D2 - Tuesday, Nov 17, 2015 at 10:46

Tuesday, Nov 17, 2015 at 10:46
Yep. As we are relatively new to travel (last three years for a couple of months at a time) it is great to have a resource like fellow travellers to ask questions rather than blindly going into an area especially when towing.
regards
Graham
FollowupID: 860979

Reply By: AlanTH - Tuesday, Nov 17, 2015 at 19:47

Tuesday, Nov 17, 2015 at 19:47
I ran a trip recently through Rudall River NP and as the others have said access even with an off road van is easy via the Telfer Road.
We did a long way round trip via the GCR, David Carnegie, Gunbarrel, Gary Hwy and Talawana
Track and can advise that the last 2 tracks were very heavily corrugated. Not the sort of road I'd want to take a van on.
Access into DQB was good for vehicles without trailers and I couldn't see personally why you wouldn't be able to get in with a trailer without too many probs.
Good food and diesel is available at Parrngurr. Diesel was $3.20 ltr and the fresh fruit and veg was at reasonable prices.
Have a good trip.
AlanH.
AnswerID: 592824

Sponsored Links