Closure of Liemack Refrigeration - A sad day !

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 16, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1310 Views:8430 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
This is an open letter to the party or parties who are (perhaps unwittingly) the cause of Liemack Refrigeration closing business.

My family and I have been planning a 12 month trip around Australia for 3 months now. During this time I have done extensive research on the best type of portable fridge to take along with us. This research led me to Liemack portable fridges which seem to be the only “Real” fridge available to withstand Australian conditions and actually get and keep food cold or frozen.

My vehicle and camper trailer are being wired up to accept one of these fridges. As yet however, I have not had sufficient funds to actually purchase the fridge.

As I understand it, there is some legal (rather than financial) reason for Liemack closing. I don’t know what the problem is and I don’t really want to know. All I would like to say is that it is a real shame that such a great (Australian) product has been withdrawn from production.

I have tried, unsuccessfully, to obtain a fridge from dealers since the closure. If anyone reading this letter (including owners/partners or employees of Liemack Refrigeration) know where I can get hold of a 70DTV with a right hand opening door, could they please contact me at rcspatch@bigpond.com.

Here’s hoping that whatever legal differences have conspired to close such a promising business can be resolved so that Liemack can get on with the job of doing what they do best.

Regards,
Steve Rayner.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Andreas - Monday, Jun 17, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Jun 17, 2002 at 00:00
Steve, a sad day indeed. We have a 70l DTV which has given sterling service. No we aren't prepared to sell it but keep trying to locate one - I am sure you won't be disappointed with it should you be able acquire one. Andreas
AnswerID: 4227

Follow Up By: David - Tuesday, Jun 18, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Jun 18, 2002 at 00:00
For future reference Liemack have posted contact details for units requiring service on various components
http://www.liemack.com.au/close.htm
FollowupID: 1837

Reply By: Member - Sam - Monday, Jun 17, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Jun 17, 2002 at 00:00
Steve, have you posted an ad in the Wanted section of the Trader? I notice there is already someone else asking for the same model fridge. cheers
Sam.
AnswerID: 4229

Reply By: simon - Wednesday, Aug 14, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Aug 14, 2002 at 00:00
Steve,
I was just going through some old questions and answers on Exploroz and found you question about Liemack. I am not surprised that Liemack have closed. We had one for a few weeks a year or two back. I can't remember the model, but it was either a DT50 or DT70. But I found it a most unsatisfactory fridge. It would keep things cold, but used so much power as to be useless. It would not run for more than 20 hours on a 120 amp/hr battery. We ended up giving it back to the dealer who supplied it, but the last I heard he still had it in his shop and was using it as a 240v bar fridge. I can give you his name and phone number if you want to buy it off him. In a recent test in Australian 4WD Monthly they did a thorough test and comparison of car fridges and found that the Liemack drew 5.6 amps, and others such as the Engel drew as little as 1.6 amps. I know there is a lot more to choosing a fridge that power consumption, but it is worth keeping in mind. If you want I can scan and email you a copy of the article.
Simon
AnswerID: 5680

Follow Up By: Steve - Wednesday, Aug 14, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Aug 14, 2002 at 00:00
Thanks for your thoughts Simon, much appreciated. I've done a heap of research and I know which fridge I'll be going for. It can take a bit of extra work to make sure the battery and wiring setup are correct, but it's worth it in the end to have a fridge that is actually a fridge :-) For the record, Liemack did not go out of business due to poor product, it was some sort of legal/copyright thing. They are now back in production under a different name "Reefer" and I can tell you there'll be a Reefer in the back of my 4WD for sure. Regards, Steve.
FollowupID: 2459

Sponsored Links