Diesel mechanic

Submitted: Friday, Dec 04, 2015 at 14:50
ThreadID: 131039 Views:1871 Replies:1 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I have been getting my auto diesel 4x4 serviced by the dealer. Rather expensive. Anyone know of good reputable (auto) diesel mechanic in the northern; north eastern side of Adelaide I could try

thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Roachie Silverado - Friday, Dec 04, 2015 at 15:19

Friday, Dec 04, 2015 at 15:19
Coolie,

Sorry I can't help (I live in Kadina and don't know your area much at all).

My reason for responding is to suggest that you have a go at doing the basic servicing yourself.

I'm no mechanic (I was a banker for almost 40 years....now I drive a courier van in my semi retirement), but for as long as I can remember I have always done my own oil changes, fuel and air filter changes, greasing of tail shafts (there doesn't seem to be many grease points on most modern vehicles these days) etc. On my current truck (a sophisticated 2012 Chev Silverado), I've even done an oil change on the Allison auto trans and the diffs.

I draw the line at unbolting the rocker covers for any reason, timing chains/belts etc.....I know my limitations.

It gives me a sense of satisfaction to be able to do these basic jobs myself, not to mention a better understanding of what makes my rig tick. It has come in handy more than once when I've heard a funny noise underneath a vehicle (out on some remote track, miles from anywhere) and to be able to climb underneath and be able to recognise an item that might have come loose or broken off etc.

Doing things "my way" I rarely have to seek the assistance of a workshop for anything.....but I still don't class myself as a mechanic of any description....hahaha
AnswerID: 593383

Follow Up By: Coolie - Friday, Dec 04, 2015 at 19:44

Friday, Dec 04, 2015 at 19:44
Thanks. Don't have prob with doing "basic" stuff changing air filters etc, but rather servicing auto trans and major servicing etc.
FollowupID: 861602

Sponsored Links