Submitted: Saturday, Dec 05, 2015 at 21:44
ThreadID: 131049 Views:1928 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
How to convert EO Topo 200K for use in Garmin GPS78
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Explorer - Sunday, Dec 06, 2015 at 11:59

Sunday, Dec 06, 2015 at 11:59
Hi

Not impossible but difficult. Trouble is Garmins will only accept raster maps in two formats - jnx and kmz.

JNX files are used in Garmin devices to show the raster maps on the GPS via their own BirdsEye service subscription for which you have to pay. There are however ways around this as people have made "patches" for the gps firmware that allow you to add you own JNX files without a subscription....

Read about it a bit more HERE

Trouble is converting the EOTopo map to JNX, as it is quiet large (even state by state) - GlobalMapper would possibly be the best option but that costs a few hundred dollars which may not appeal. Other conversion options exist but they may not like the original ECW format (not sure) - see link above for more info.

Other option in KMZ format - this format has limitations, the main one being you would need to break the EOTopo Map up into many smaller areas as the GPS can not handle large KMZ files (=large areas). Some info HERE but if you Google "KMZ Garmin Custom Maps" you will get various other instructions on how to do this.

But again hard bit will be converting the original ECW into to a suitable format and breaking the map up into suitably sized areas. Not sure it is worth the trouble but maybe it is. I will just stick to using my TwoNav Aventura which can view ECWs, even EOTopo 200, with no messing around required.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 593450

Reply By: maurice b - Sunday, Dec 06, 2015 at 13:52

Sunday, Dec 06, 2015 at 13:52
If you have Eotopo im assuming you would have Ozi, so why bother going thru all this heart ache. I dont find Eotopo that fantastic. Go to the Osm, open source maps site and download the Aust maps . A word of caution dont trust garmin maps including there latest v5 aust topo to guide your on remote tracks ,you will be sent in a lost circle. In saying this i use a garmin nuvi a lot on remote trips in 4x4 mode to calutate routes and love it, so easy and quick compared toOzi android

AnswerID: 593462

Reply By: Sigmund - Sunday, Dec 06, 2015 at 14:23

Sunday, Dec 06, 2015 at 14:23
Another topo offering for Garmins is Oztopo V7. Does autorouting. Equiv scale of 25 K and covers the country but not in as much detail as the state-based large scale maps for obvious reasons.
AnswerID: 593463

Reply By: Gaynor - Monday, Dec 07, 2015 at 17:32

Monday, Dec 07, 2015 at 17:32
Had the same issue. Bought EOTopo only to find it worked on my laptop with Oziexplorer but not compatible with Garmin.

Someone here suggested I buy Oztopo for my Garmin. If you are using it for the Canning Stock Route like I was DO NOT USE OZTOPO. It has a fictitious track on it that in no ways resembles reality and sand dune details was also absent. It was worse than useless. On getting back to Perth I expressed my displeasure as I had been specific about needing good detail for the CSR. I requested and got a full refund.

Fortunately I had also loaded Oziexplorer Android and EOTopo onto my Samsung Note3. This worked like a dream.
AnswerID: 593523

Sponsored Links