Kalumburu to Drysdale River

G'day all, we are heading to Kalumburu after next Easter to revisit some of my favourite fishing spots, but this trip we want to (try) and drive to the mouth of the Drysdale.
Has anyone here done this trip or do you know if it is doable?
There will be 2 vehicles and maybe 3 yet and we are well setup and prepared, especially with communication with 2 sat phones.
Sometimes the impossible takes a bit more planning
Cheers Ray
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member-George (WA) - Sunday, Dec 06, 2015 at 16:51

Sunday, Dec 06, 2015 at 16:51
Hi Ray, as far as I know there is no way you can get to the mouth of the Drysdale River by 4WD, unless you 4WD has wings and can fly. Cheers
AnswerID: 593469

Follow Up By: Member Ray M (QLD) - Sunday, Dec 06, 2015 at 18:19

Sunday, Dec 06, 2015 at 18:19
Thanks George, I have a mate who got close a couple of years ago but had to turn around.
I know the bloke who helped build the hut at the mouth, but they went by boat.
Cheers Ray
FollowupID: 861680

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Sunday, Dec 06, 2015 at 23:18

Sunday, Dec 06, 2015 at 23:18
This post has been read by the moderation team and has been moderated due to a breach of The Double-up Post Removed Rule .

Forum Moderation Team
AnswerID: 593479

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Sunday, Dec 06, 2015 at 23:23

Sunday, Dec 06, 2015 at 23:23
There is a track from Kalumburu to Beauty Point which is at the NW corner of the mouth of the Drysdale. It was little used and very scratchy and overgrown in 2008.
From what I recall it was not a 'scenic' place, more mosquitoes and mangroves, but it was frequented by fishing fans.
I have not driven it. Permission is required from Kalumburu Aboriginal Corporation.

I have taken a boat to Don McLeod's home which is on the River, well inside from the entrance, but before the first 'white water'. We spent a great day there with Don and a couple of his grandchildren.
The blue lines are our GPS tracks in and out....the entrance channel changes each year and it is slow going if you don't know the best way in. Once in it is beautiful country.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
AnswerID: 593480

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Sunday, Dec 06, 2015 at 23:33

Sunday, Dec 06, 2015 at 23:33
Correction.
Beauty Point is on the SW corner od the entrance. It is actually written on the above map, but is pretty blurry.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome.
FollowupID: 861687

Follow Up By: Member Ray M (QLD) - Monday, Dec 07, 2015 at 08:43

Monday, Dec 07, 2015 at 08:43
Hi Peter, hey thanks for all the info, yeah I thought you actually meant the S/W corner.
Apparently Don's hut was originally built as a base for a fishing guide.
We are travelling that way with a retired fishing guide of 30 years.
I realise that we need permission, and we do have a contact up there so we are hoping that will go well.
Good to see Don made you so welcome, no doubt as you were completely organised, because I know he is a bit sick of rescueing people who get into trouble through stupidity.
A lovely part of The Kimberley, not to mention the fishing
Cheers Peter and thanks again
Regards Ray
FollowupID: 861692

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Monday, Dec 07, 2015 at 09:01

Monday, Dec 07, 2015 at 09:01
Yes Don was a fishing guide there for some years. His customers were typically flown in from Kununurra by float plane.
Great bloke.
He described his fishing guide job as being like a prostitute "You have to perform EVERY day".
He loved the place and decided that he had "Killed too many fish", so he quit and semi retired there and kept the lease on the spot. He was trading on the stock market to make a living.
He then decided that his grand kids needed a good education, but the WA education authority said he couldn't because he did not have a 'proper' classroom. So he built one, complete with satellite internet. It was better than his house.

He gets most of his supplies via the barge that goes to Kalumburu. I have seen him leave Honeymoon in his boat just on dark to go the 50km back home via the Drysdale inlet.
It would be worth giving him a call to see if you can visit if you have a boat. I assume that he is still there.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
FollowupID: 861693

Follow Up By: Member Ray M (QLD) - Monday, Dec 07, 2015 at 09:28

Monday, Dec 07, 2015 at 09:28
Thanks again Peter, my mate we are travelling with had a rule when he was guiding, that you could eat the fish on the day but all the other fish were to be released.
We practice catch and release ourselves, and get a lot more enjoyment from that, than just killing everything.
I believe Don used to manage Carson River Station, so he would be very familiar with all that country, and he has also discovered some Bradshaws I understand.
Great to hear he is great bloke as we were a bit hesitant to make contact not knowing the reception we would get.
We do have boats to travel there but at this stage 4wd is the preferred option.
Will post on here how it all goes.
Cheers Ray
FollowupID: 861696

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Monday, Dec 07, 2015 at 11:10

Monday, Dec 07, 2015 at 11:10
Beauty Point is a possibility by 4WD, but Don's place certainly is not, as far as I am aware.
Despite the advertising, it is possible to drive to Far Away Bay though, but if you did without permission, they would probably shoot you :( There are some big rocks blocking the track leading south from the resort.
You don't have to look very hard to find Bradshaw art, with a few tips.....

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
FollowupID: 861703

Reply By: vk1dx - Monday, Dec 07, 2015 at 09:03

Monday, Dec 07, 2015 at 09:03
One part of Aus that we would love to get to. Maybe one day.

We have been up that way on a cruise but not into the Drysedale. Just as short way.

Enjoy

Phil
AnswerID: 593491

Follow Up By: Member Ray M (QLD) - Monday, Dec 07, 2015 at 09:40

Monday, Dec 07, 2015 at 09:40
Hi Phil, yes it is great country up that way especially the coastline.
We have only seen the Horizontal Falls area, and all around Honeymoon Bay, but we like to push the boundaries sometime, which has seen us bogged on a remote beach overnight and also run aground on a mudbank in serious croc country waiting for the tide to come back I after dark.
But hey it beats staying home watching TV
Cheers Ray
FollowupID: 861697

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Monday, Dec 07, 2015 at 10:12

Monday, Dec 07, 2015 at 10:12
This is about as far north from Broome that we have been. Just a bit up a creek and inland from Raft Point.

Loc: 16 05 14 S 124 40 E

Phil

FollowupID: 861698

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Monday, Dec 07, 2015 at 23:15

Monday, Dec 07, 2015 at 23:15
We took a chopper once from the Mitchell Falls camp ground (1999 - pre National Park days) to the point where the Mitchell River goes salt/fresh.
Wow, what a day's fishing that was.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
FollowupID: 861757

Sponsored Links