After Market Aircon For Isuzu DMAX

Submitted: Monday, Dec 07, 2015 at 16:02
ThreadID: 131067 Views:3292 Replies:5 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
Can anyone help me PLS ... I am wanting to install an after market caravan-type rooftop airconditioner on my Isuzu DMAX - feeding in to the Cab to support factory aircon (which is pretty useless in HOT locations) and if possible, with insulated hose feeds to my trailer and rooftop sleeping area. Does anyone have expert knowledge or general suggestions or know a business in northern suburbs of Perth which would be able to assist me ??

NeilM_BoabOZ
UHF Channel # 15 - Callsign BoabOZ Mobile 2189
HF Callsign VKS737 Mobile 2189 / Selcall Number 2189 Iridium SatPhone 0405 894 252

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Monday, Dec 07, 2015 at 17:19

Monday, Dec 07, 2015 at 17:19
G'day Neil. Have you thought about a domestic (household) split system? From what I've read they are more efficient than caravan types. You may need greater cooling for a 'ducted' system. Or in fact look at ducted domestic systems.
AnswerID: 593521

Follow Up By: NeilM_BoabOZ - Monday, Dec 07, 2015 at 17:36

Monday, Dec 07, 2015 at 17:36
TKS Rod ... but the problem with a domestic system is the 240V power supply required. I am looking at the input/output for one of my DC/AC Inverters which I thought might be 240V output hardwired to the aircon but initial feedback from electricians is the output loss/diminishment from DC to AC to Aircon might not allow full power to Aircon ... but, you never know !!

Cheers ... NeilM
NeilM_BoabOZ
HF Callsign VKS737 Mobile 2189 / Selcall Number 2189 Iridium SatPhone 0405 894 252

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 861731

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Monday, Dec 07, 2015 at 19:05

Monday, Dec 07, 2015 at 19:05
Quote "TKS Rod ... but the problem with a domestic system is the 240V power supply required."

Exactly the same power requirements are needed for a caravan air-con. Anyone who uses an air-con when free camping powers them with a generator.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 861735

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, Dec 07, 2015 at 19:09

Monday, Dec 07, 2015 at 19:09
Neil,

Look into Red Spot truck/machinery aircons. They sit on the roof and are powered off the vehicles engine........not sure that's what you want?

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 861736

Follow Up By: NeilM_BoabOZ - Monday, Dec 07, 2015 at 22:56

Monday, Dec 07, 2015 at 22:56
Nomadic Navara - TKS for your advice BUT I am aspiring to a mobile air conditioning system. One that runs from both DC/AC vehicle-generated power and I can use when I am driving and then when I am camped up, either for short periods from 4 x 120Ah auxiliary batteries or from my generators.

Cheers ... NeilM
NeilM_BoabOZ

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 861755

Follow Up By: NeilM_BoabOZ - Monday, Dec 07, 2015 at 23:22

Monday, Dec 07, 2015 at 23:22
Bob Y. - Qld ... TKS for your suggestion. I googled and found the Red Dot Corporation website (design and build mobile HVAC systems) and then found there are 2 Dealers/Agents just down the road from my Perth Base. I'll follow up with them because from what I can see from the website their units might be "just the goods" for me

Cheers ... NeilM
NeilM_BoabOZ

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 861758

Follow Up By: Ron N - Monday, Dec 07, 2015 at 23:58

Monday, Dec 07, 2015 at 23:58
Bob is on the mark. Red Dot air conditioners are top quality, well built units that stand up to severe service.
However, you will need to find a spot to mount the air-conditioning compressor, because the Red Dot unit is basically the same as the D-Max unit - just a lot bigger setup, and roof-mounted.
I'm not sure how much room the D-Max engine would have available, to mount an additional air-con compressor.
The Red Dots are used to cool cabins on earthmovers and they're built like most American stuff - solid.
However, they don't come cheap, and the current exchange rate doesn't help that one little bit.

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 861760

Reply By: Member - Tony H (touring oz) - Monday, Dec 07, 2015 at 19:58

Monday, Dec 07, 2015 at 19:58
Neil,
PLEASE dont cane me........cut your beard off you'll be 10 degress cooler & look a lot younger....seriously!!!!
Insanity doesnt run in my family.... it gallops!

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 593530

Follow Up By: NeilM_BoabOZ - Monday, Dec 07, 2015 at 22:51

Monday, Dec 07, 2015 at 22:51
Tony ... well, interesting !! I somehow can't get the connection between my aircon aspirations and my beard ... it just alludes me :) :)

Why on earth would I cane you ?? I rarely take any offense at others' comments or advice ... because I am all of self-deprecating, even tempered, full of humour, well able to take a plug in fun and well able to respond in kind ... and all the other things that make me such a great bloke !! Oh, forgot one ... I am modest too !!

Back to my beard ... long story short:-

[1] I have had a beard since I was 16. There is nobody alive other than my siblings who has seen me without a beard. I say I shaved twice. The first time at 14 was in eager anticipation and the second time at 15 was in utter frustration. Then it all improved from there ...

[2] I had 30+ years of fitting in to a suit/tie and carefully grooming my hair/beard - just to satisfy professional standards and social etiquette

[3] When I retired and decided to just go bush I also decided on one symbolic protest against my former professional life ... NO - not tattoos or body piercing ... just that I would never again cut my beard

Since my Profile photo my beard has grown further and I am more unkempt in appearance ... oh how good it is to travel off-road and be oblivious to some of the social norms. Remember ... you can't just a book by its cover !!

AND from my 20+ years in the Kimberley I have found that rather than being hot, my beard acts as a cooler ... when I throw water on my head and enjoy the cooling breeze through my beard. My personal walking evaporative air conditioner !!

AND in the interests of full disclosure and transparency in this, my personal narration ... since I retired I have improved from being 155kg and a 127cm waist to 95kg and a 97cm waist ... a bit more to go and I am trying hard. So you can see that my beard is one of my least priorities in life !!Isn't it great me abandoning my professional offices and going bush !

Heh, Mate ... get back to me - I enjoy both practical and philosophical conversations

Cheers ... NeilM
NeilM_BoabOZ

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 861754

Follow Up By: Gramps - Tuesday, Dec 08, 2015 at 15:22

Tuesday, Dec 08, 2015 at 15:22
Keep the beard Neil. Do not be tempted by the dark side.

Regards
FollowupID: 861815

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Tuesday, Dec 08, 2015 at 21:52

Tuesday, Dec 08, 2015 at 21:52
A couple of points if I may Neil.

1. Keep the beard, I ain't shaving mine for anyone.

2. Have a talk to a fella named Rod at Lyons Aircon and refrigeration. They have had a heap of years experience with industrial air con units for mobile plant of all types. They also sell and service Waeco and Engel portable fridge freezers.

Cheers
Pop
FollowupID: 861848

Reply By: Member - John - Tuesday, Dec 08, 2015 at 22:04

Tuesday, Dec 08, 2015 at 22:04
Niel, Have waited for others to ask, but hasn't happened, so I will. What is the role of the platform on the back of the trailer and have you ever "whacked" the spare on the trailer? Cheers.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 593586

Follow Up By: NeilM_BoabOZ - Tuesday, Dec 08, 2015 at 23:22

Tuesday, Dec 08, 2015 at 23:22
My Rig has been put together as 3 parts ... Isuzu is independent/self-sufficient to go anywhere without the Trailer. The Trailer is my "Base Camp" for when either I decide to camp-down at some location or I unhitch to travel further with the Isuzu only. The Trailer is also my "Support Vehicle" - it carries 200L of spare diesel, 150L spare water, my road-side service and maintenance gear, fridge/freezers and food stocks. The "Hitch-Up" or platform is for cartage of bulky/heavy tools/gear, etc between Point A and Point B .. on the black top ... and is unhitched when I arrive at Point B - being a transit depot or a mate's garage. The "Hitch-Up" does not come off-road with me. It was custom built to my design and is rated to carry 350+kg. Depending on what it is carrying it takes me less than half-an-hour to unpack and disassemble to components for temporary storage.

No ... never have "whacked" the spare tyres on either side of the Trailer. With the 2 side spares I am 20mm within legal limits for on-road width of vehicles.

As an aside, I guess ... to understand my somewhat unusual Rig and travel/transport/storage arrangements you need to know that when I again leave my "home" in Perth I will no longer have any fixed place of abode, I will be itinerant throughout off-road Oz for (as planned) the next 3-5 years and then I want to ship my Rig to South Africa and drive Cape Town to Cairo. So I need in/on my Rig .. me, myself, my worldly goods and chattels and all off-road gear.

TKS for your interest mate Cheers ... NeilM
NeilM_BoabOZ

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 861856

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Friday, Dec 11, 2015 at 10:23

Friday, Dec 11, 2015 at 10:23
There's a solution that might help you Neil, albeit probably an expensive option. Many trucks are fitted with an Ice-Pak, for the sleeper bunk, a diesel engine powered aircon, that will also charge batteries, if required. They duct the cool air into the bunk, often in a couple of areas. Bit noisy, but if you're tired it doesn't take long the get used to the chatter.

Kohler also make a similar unit that is reverse cycle. Probably a good choice for year round travelling? You could fit one of these to the trailer, and sleep comfortably anywhere.

You said the DMax doesn't have good aircon, especially in "HOT" weather. One suggestion I'd make is don't travel if it's that hot. If you were to make use of shades, mentioned in thread 131062, on the rear windows, then add a 100mm strip of tint(legal width) across the top of the screen, there would be a measureable improvement in your comfort level. Another option is to make up a foam cell strip, about 200-250mm high, to run across the bottom of the screen. This will make a huge difference to aircon performance. Now this wouldn't be legal on the highway, but on quieter outback tracks you should be "cool". Pun intended! The DMax appears to have a very racked screen, which doesn't help cooling when it is hot.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 593686

Reply By: swampy - Friday, Dec 11, 2015 at 21:45

Friday, Dec 11, 2015 at 21:45
hi
air con roof top
re commercial transport refrigeration
Cool drive is a business who sells these units . There are many others
Nippon Denso units are the best by far but they have a high price

Alternate
evaporative cooling for inland and southern dry temps /power could be an issue
domestic room aircon 240volt gene only
portable of above

Solution to vehicle in hot weather
AIRCON pressures are critical
99% factory air units will not operate well after 30 cel . Then add humidity and mid day northern sun
Factory Ford high pressure 290 psi ,after rectification best performance is 180psi
Low pressure 10-35 psi
Add more condenser [air rad ] area and or cooling fans
Refrigerant has a temp pressure relationship--cool the condenser and the evap [in dashboard unit]gets colder

All parts of air con must be in good order
evap clean every 100,000kms
replace hoses at 200,000 km
receiver drier will hold temp up if it has never been changed
flush and clean condenser
Tx valve may not be modulating well change
make sure heater tap is working turned off !!!

swampy
AnswerID: 593712

Sponsored Links