Primus Mammoth 65L Dual Fridge Freezer

Hi everyone...
Im looking to purchase dual zone fridge freezer.
Like the convenience to be able to use as fridge/fridge, freezer/freezer, fridge/freezer or just one compartment as needed.
I did notice there are different colour and handle designs for sale at different prices.
Some trims are black, blue or red. Some got logos printed.
Is anyone knows if all are the same units, please?
Thanking you
Jerry
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: bobsabobsa - Tuesday, Dec 08, 2015 at 11:26

Tuesday, Dec 08, 2015 at 11:26
Hi,
Primus and Technice source from the same factory in China
The compressors they use are Secop which is a copy of Danfoss
Primus has a 3 year warrenty and Technice has a 5 year warrenty
Technice web site says it uses Danfoss .I conversed with the factory and they say that technice use Secop
The Technice prices are a lot lower

this is a link to the factory where they are made
http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/2L-Portable-Slim-AC100-240v-DC12v_60259736940.html?spm=a2700.7724838.30.237.ZAStmt

Beware the factory uses a snowdrop compressor if not ordered with the secop
The Secop is a Danfoss copy , that they all seem to use in Aust , eg Eva cool etc
You will need to copy and paste the link into your toolbar to work unless someone can fix it for me thks

I did converse with the man at the factory about importing the 42L fridge so I did get a lot of information
I will not go into the price ,but wow there is a lot of markup on the Primus
This will give you something to think about

My opinion on them, as a Refrigeration mechanic is positive,
the evaporator inside is enclosed, so that if a bottle move and rubs on the evaporator it would be very hard for it to rub through, ( think of bottle shifting on an angle and the top rubbing )
I have lost a fridge this way, due to the fact that the evaporator is exposed and the tube work is very thin
But all in all I think the fridge would be good, and the colour does not make a difference,
I have check out the dual zone ,as well ,they all run the BD35 secop compressor which
seem to work OK
Bob

AnswerID: 593555

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Tuesday, Dec 08, 2015 at 11:44

Tuesday, Dec 08, 2015 at 11:44
I am really happy with my Techniice (45lt) , and notice on their WEBSITE that they have the newer larger single and dual zone models (and still advertise Danfoss compressor).

I really like the dual zone concept with the 2 lids, seems so sensible and good in design, just the sizes are generally to big for me and the missus.

The only issue I had with mine was the power cable had an issue, but replaced under warranty at a QLD dealer with a Waeco one.
This had it's pros (right angle outlet from fridge, more compact) and cons (1-1/2' shorter than the Tecnii cable), but has been great since fitting.
FollowupID: 861795

Follow Up By: bobsabobsa - Tuesday, Dec 08, 2015 at 12:04

Tuesday, Dec 08, 2015 at 12:04
Yes I do like the look of them
Techniice does say Danfoss ,But I don,t recon they are
this is the email I received from Selon James

"Dear Robert

Thanks for your reply. Primus is also our customer but not so much volume as Technic. But I do not think they also use SECOP compressor. We can use SECOP BD35F for 40~60 model, BD50F for 80~95L model and BD80F for 130~280 model. And also market approved.

We also have built in fridge for truck vibration approved.(ACDC spec. goes with SECOP and DC only spec. goes with Snomaster compressor)."

Jiangsu Selon Electric Appliances Co.,Ltd
(A Member of Baixue Group)
No.19,LianFeng Road,1st District,Yushan Industrial Park,
Changshu City.Jiangsu Province,China 215500

Regards Bob
ps I i do think they are a good bit of gear, this is what I will buy and flick my Engel

FollowupID: 861799

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Tuesday, Dec 08, 2015 at 12:06

Tuesday, Dec 08, 2015 at 12:06
A correction: Secop is not a "copy" of Danfoss compressors. In 2010 the German company Aurelius AG acquired the refrigeration compressor division of Danfoss and renamed it 'Secop GmbH'. The products are now Secop compressors.
Secop head office is in Germany with manufacturing plants in Slovakia, Austria and China.
Incidentally, China has more than 1,100 manufacturers of refrigeration compressors!
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 861800

Follow Up By: bobsabobsa - Tuesday, Dec 08, 2015 at 12:18

Tuesday, Dec 08, 2015 at 12:18
Thank you Allan
I did not know that
So really still a Danfoss with a different name ,that is good to hear ,I have use Danfoss in the past and they are a good compressor , so Secop should be just as good
Yes I google alibaba for refrigeration compressors and wow there are a lot
some good things come out of china now.
bob
FollowupID: 861801

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Tuesday, Dec 08, 2015 at 12:35

Tuesday, Dec 08, 2015 at 12:35
Yes Bob, just a Danfoss compressor with a new name but same colour. lol
Hard to keep track of who-owns-who these days!
As you say, Danfoss have a good track record in domestic compressors and their industrial products continue to be second-to-none. It is to be hoped that Secop continue to maintain the good quality.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 861803

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Tuesday, Dec 08, 2015 at 16:19

Tuesday, Dec 08, 2015 at 16:19
Les the fridge in your link looks an awful lot like a National Luna fridge. Now that's a good fridge!

Cheers

Dunc
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 861819

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Tuesday, Dec 08, 2015 at 16:25

Tuesday, Dec 08, 2015 at 16:25
Yes, Nat Luna is certainly priced at the pointy end of the market, suspect that would be made in another factory, but who knows nowadays.
So many places rebrand cheaper stuff with their logos etc and sell for a premium, and they might all come out of one Chinese factory.
Nothing necessarily wrong with China made, you just have to ensure someone on the ground doing QC, or at least have a good reliable crew.
FollowupID: 861821

Reply By: Member - mark D18 - Tuesday, Dec 08, 2015 at 18:36

Tuesday, Dec 08, 2015 at 18:36
Have you considered using a 40 litre for everyday items and maybe a 21 litre as a freezer,
It would be a lot more efficient than a dual zone fridge freezer

Cheers
AnswerID: 593569

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Tuesday, Dec 08, 2015 at 19:25

Tuesday, Dec 08, 2015 at 19:25
True, and sometimes easier to arrange in the space, who makes a good ~20lt freezer ?
That size would suit me very well in conjunction with the 45lt fridge.
FollowupID: 861833

Follow Up By: Member - mark D18 - Tuesday, Dec 08, 2015 at 19:50

Tuesday, Dec 08, 2015 at 19:50
Les.

There a few out there , I do know Engel make a 21 litre , they have got a bullet proof reputation .

The fridge arrangement works well for me.

Cheers
FollowupID: 861834

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Tuesday, Dec 08, 2015 at 19:53

Tuesday, Dec 08, 2015 at 19:53
Hmm, I'll have a google, thought about this in the past but didn't think I'd get one that samll.
As long as the overall size isn't too bad, I reckon I could get a small freezer in the cab on the other side to the fridge, move the arkpak a bit and have it in the cab too.
FollowupID: 861835

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Tuesday, Dec 08, 2015 at 20:24

Tuesday, Dec 08, 2015 at 20:24
Les, Waeco make a 23 litre fridge/freezer. The CF-25 CoolFreeze.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 861836

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Tuesday, Dec 08, 2015 at 20:26

Tuesday, Dec 08, 2015 at 20:26
Cool mate (pun intended) will take a look at Ana or Super when passing by.
Hopeful not too large an external size, as I feel they use similar running gear to larger ones, and therefore be larger % overall to actual usable (if you get my meaning).
FollowupID: 861838

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Tuesday, Dec 08, 2015 at 20:35

Tuesday, Dec 08, 2015 at 20:35
In fact Waeco make one even smaller, a 10.5 litre CoolFreeze CDF-11.

I have one between the front seats. Bought it mainly to keep the water bottles chilled but found that it worked well as the food freezer easing the load on the 35 litre fridge.
The water bottles repose upright sitting on the upper shelf area and just project through a pair of 90mm holes I drilled in the lid to enable easy access without opening the lid. With the fridge set at -10 degrees, the food is frozen and the water bottles remain nicely chilled. An absolute luxury!
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 861839

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Tuesday, Dec 08, 2015 at 20:57

Tuesday, Dec 08, 2015 at 20:57
Sounds like multiple options, ta.
Will just go in and have a look, I'd thinks anything from 15 - 20 or so would do us nicley for frozen stuff, manage now deep freezing meats etc for a good week before a trip, then pack around the edge of the fridge, which is set at -2.
Beer (and other misc less important stuff like food) keeps nice in the middle, real nice, sometimes way TOO nice !! :)
FollowupID: 861842

Reply By: Batt's - Tuesday, Dec 08, 2015 at 23:25

Tuesday, Dec 08, 2015 at 23:25
I have an Evakool so sorry can't help with the Primus but have you looked at Aussie Batteries they offer a similar looking fridge which is cheaper. http://www.aussiebatteries.com.au/portable-fridges/
AnswerID: 593589

Sponsored Links