Otway National Park 4WD Tracks

Submitted: Tuesday, Dec 08, 2015 at 15:40
ThreadID: 131077 Views:1756 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,

We will be spending a few days driving through the Otway National Park just after new year's and was wondering if there are any recommended tracks apart from the main one through the park.

We will be coming from Johanna Beach and heading up to Anglesea via Lake Elizabeth and then onto Melbourne.

We have a Pajero and won't be towing but will be pretty loaded up. Not looking for anything too hard, just some opportunities to see some nice scenery and possible use low-range if needed.

Thanks in advance, Lloyd
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Warrie (NSW) - Tuesday, Dec 08, 2015 at 21:23

Tuesday, Dec 08, 2015 at 21:23
Hi Lloyd, we were in the area too many years ago. Click on this link to Jamieson Track Campground. You can head uphill into the forest from the coast but no 4WD Lo needed. Other tracks nearby are pretty tame IMO. Although there was one which we went down with lots of loose rocks which would have been more interesting going up. The map here on the Ex Oz site for Jamieson shows all the tracks and you could experiment using trial and error to find a challenging one. Obtain a copy of National Parks brochure for the Otway NP which has more info.................. W
Warrie

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 593583

Reply By: Sigmund - Wednesday, Dec 09, 2015 at 08:47

Wednesday, Dec 09, 2015 at 08:47
Have a look at the 4x4earth track database. There's some tracks mentioned that apparently are interesting when wet.

I can recommend taking a look at the glow worms on the road heading up the range from Kennett River.
AnswerID: 593604

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Wednesday, Dec 09, 2015 at 11:01

Wednesday, Dec 09, 2015 at 11:01
The glow worms at Melba Gully are amazing, on dusk. They are on a track that's an easy walk, we had dinner there and then walked the track before dusk then walked just down the track to see the glow worms on our left not 300m from the picnic area.

Otway tracks are fickle muddy things all year around sometimes, so if you see a mud hole take a close look cause those things don't travel alone, they've always got mates nearby.

Have a great time, we will be in Gellibrand at that time of the year, in the park there, say Hi if you get a chance.

Bonz
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 861892

Reply By: Sigmund - Wednesday, Dec 09, 2015 at 11:12

Wednesday, Dec 09, 2015 at 11:12
Just as an aside, I'd go for Aire R for camping over Johanna Beach. More grass, more level spots. Some great bird watching along the river. Koalas. But further from the beach.
AnswerID: 593616

Sponsored Links