New van, one spare or two

Submitted: Tuesday, Dec 08, 2015 at 19:53
ThreadID: 131081 Views:3025 Replies:14 FollowUps:15
This Thread has been Archived
Ladies and gentlemen, we are closing in on getting our new van and we have hit a hurdle that I need some sound advice from those that tow caravans down dirt and rocky roads it is a simple question, one spare tyre or two. I have always carried tubes for the tyres of the vehicles, and never ever had to use them. I have two spare's for the pathfinder, and never used them either, I am just wondering if I should do the same for the van.
I await your responses.
thank you
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Tuesday, Dec 08, 2015 at 20:17

Tuesday, Dec 08, 2015 at 20:17
Do you have an option to fit van with same rims size / tyre size as your tow vehicle ?
Possibly not an option with caras as it is with campers, but worth checking ??
AnswerID: 593577

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Tuesday, Dec 08, 2015 at 20:43

Tuesday, Dec 08, 2015 at 20:43
The van builder is not keen to change from 16 wheels to 17 wheels so that is not an option until I get it home, I would love to have the same wheels but the pathfinder is coming up for renewal and I don't know what I'll replace it with yet, and I may have different sized wheels again, it is getting to be how long is a length of string scenario now.
thanks Les.
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 861840

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Tuesday, Dec 08, 2015 at 20:53

Tuesday, Dec 08, 2015 at 20:53
Fair enough mate, would then also have to consider stud pattern, does it use a std pattern on the van do you know ?
Might be worth asking about this, and if it can be upgraded for a new rig.
FollowupID: 861841

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Wednesday, Dec 09, 2015 at 10:38

Wednesday, Dec 09, 2015 at 10:38
I'll have to check into that as I don't kbow
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 861883

Follow Up By: Racey - Wednesday, Dec 09, 2015 at 13:45

Wednesday, Dec 09, 2015 at 13:45
Van builder probably not keen on increasing wheel size due to under guard clearance. Be careful.
FollowupID: 861911

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Tuesday, Dec 08, 2015 at 20:36

Tuesday, Dec 08, 2015 at 20:36
Even if you can't have identical rims, then try for identical tyres between car and van. That will get you out of trouble if you destroyed two tyres on either the vehicle or the van.
So yes, we'd just travel with one spare for each but have compatible tyres.
AnswerID: 593580

Reply By: Batt's - Tuesday, Dec 08, 2015 at 22:13

Tuesday, Dec 08, 2015 at 22:13
I always carried 2 spares when I had a van which was 99% on road so I would say it's a no brainer 2 spares for the van and the tow vehicle for off road. If you only carried one spare once you have used it you would tend to turn around and your trip would be spoiled a minimum of 2 would give you peace of mind and you could continue on.
AnswerID: 593587

Follow Up By: Member - Redbakk (WA) - Wednesday, Dec 09, 2015 at 05:06

Wednesday, Dec 09, 2015 at 05:06
I agree, been in the position of damaging two tyres and a long way from anywhere, so follow the rule "1 spare per running set" Even if you just carry the tyres without the rim ( lighter), I also carry a bead breaker and a tyre plug set. I also carry spare wheel bearings and grease as well as a 12v compressor and tyre pressure gauge.
And if anyone comes up and pleads with you to sell them your spare.....DONT.
FollowupID: 861859

Reply By: Member - Alastair D (NSW) - Wednesday, Dec 09, 2015 at 07:30

Wednesday, Dec 09, 2015 at 07:30
Broodie,
For the first 30 years of my 4wd life I always carried 2 full spares. Tyre technology was not as good then and since I tend to go into remote areas I used them regularly. About 10 years ago I realised that I had not had many punctures for a long time and switched to just carrying one full spare and a tyre only. Since then I have done a number of big trips including Central Asia, Siberia etc. and found that by having plugs I was able to fix most punctures without even removing the wheel and then have it fixed 'properly' when I returned to 'civilisation'. The spare tyre was used when a sidewall was damaged.

You are towing which is a bit different. If you drive to the conditions, ie slow down on rocky roads, deflate a bit to allow the tyres to 'mould' to the rocks I think that the one spare plus tyre approach would work. Try to use tyre sizes that are common in the country so if you do need one it should be available. Phil G's suggestion of at least using the same size tyre is a good one if possible.

Most of the caravan problems I have seen have been shredded tyres due to not realising it had gone flat and kept driving. I think you can minimise tyre damage by using a TPMS which would be worth the added expense.

Is your van single or dual axle? If it is dual then I would tend to carry 2 full spares. If you do go on dirt roads a lot just make sure your van spare wheel carrier is well made. I have seen some terrible flimsy efforts and worry about cracking welds and losing the lot.

happy travelling

AnswerID: 593596

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Wednesday, Dec 09, 2015 at 09:06

Wednesday, Dec 09, 2015 at 09:06
"ie slow down on rocky roads, deflate a bit to allow the tyres to 'mould' to the rocks"

Needs highlighting, both veheciel and towed van / camper . . . really works to reduce tyre damage on those types of tracks, sharp rocks / stones, better resists teks fallen out of campers, and to boot improves ride comfort on corros / less shaking of van and items in van.

Agree 100% get a TPMS in 6 monitors, 8 if you have 2 spares as can put on the spares wheels too and ensure all good to go if / when needed.

If travelling such roads, I would take advice and go 2 spares anyway, even with good tyres + 50% tread.
Even better if matched to vehicle and van, you'll get there rather than possibly having to leave the van, go further (or back) to nearest town / station, get flat fixed ($), return and refit, and hope some mongrel hasn't got into van while left on the road ! gggrrrr !!
FollowupID: 861874

Follow Up By: Batt's - Thursday, Dec 10, 2015 at 00:21

Thursday, Dec 10, 2015 at 00:21
I expect you're not running Coopers Alastair to have the confidence to rely on 1 spare one of the most complained about tyres.
FollowupID: 861939

Follow Up By: Member - Alastair D (NSW) - Thursday, Dec 10, 2015 at 16:16

Thursday, Dec 10, 2015 at 16:16
Batt,
I run either BFG AT or MT depending on the trip. On a long trip through central asia (40K) I used MTs and had a good run. I have tried a few brands but now stick with BFG because they work for me. Just to be clear I carry 1 full spare and a tyre case on the roof rack. It saves some weight which I would not want on the RR.
cheers
FollowupID: 861960

Reply By: AlbyNSW - Wednesday, Dec 09, 2015 at 07:37

Wednesday, Dec 09, 2015 at 07:37
The main reason you wreck a tyre is running it flat from a puncture without knowing it
If you fit tyre pressure monitors and carry a tyre plug kit 90% of your potential problems have been addressed
AnswerID: 593597

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Wednesday, Dec 09, 2015 at 07:43

Wednesday, Dec 09, 2015 at 07:43
If you are driving off road I would definitely opt for two spares.

I have a spare set of wheels for the van which are the same size as my tug, therefore I have two spares shared between both.

Murphy raised his ugly head during our off road trip up the Birdsville Track a few months ago.
Had three punctures:-(
Fortunately one of the vehicles in our convoy used the same size and offset wheels, so I used his spare to get us to Birdsville:-)

I also carry a tyre repair kit and used it on my mates vehicle, who also experienced 3 punctures.
Worst bloody track conditions I had experienced.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 593598

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Wednesday, Dec 09, 2015 at 13:24

Wednesday, Dec 09, 2015 at 13:24
Hi Bill,
. thank you we came down the Birdsville track last year, and had no Problems, helped out a couple of 4x4's that had punctures just plug jobs , as they had run out of plugs I don't know where they had been but there tyres looked like porcupines by the time we had finished and got them back on the road, but they insisted on pumping the tyres up to 45psi, which in my opinion was to high, but you cant reason with everyone.
what a lovely bit of country to travel through, and that is where I'll be taking the van and all similar roads, it looks like the two tyres are going to be the go.
thank you.
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 861908

Reply By: vk1dx - Wednesday, Dec 09, 2015 at 08:52

Wednesday, Dec 09, 2015 at 08:52
I would definitely pay for the wheels to be the same. In your reply to Les above you said that the builder was not "keen" to make them the same. In that case I would approach him and ask how much would he charge me to do so. If he stuck to his guns I would ask him for the name of a suitable (remember warranty) engineer who would do the work and on that he would accept for warranty purposes.

We recently wasted another $800 on a second wheel carrier for the car. And we do go off road and have been known to actually go "cross country" in the Simpson - Madigan Line. We also travel solo.

We try our utmost to protect the tyres. The final choice of tyres was one with an extra layer that actually extended over the side of the tyre just where most stakings take place. Last flat (touch wood) was in 1969.

Extra weight on rough roads can cause extra damages and over stress the shocks etc. Not difinitive extra damages, but possible.

My choice would be identical wheels and tyres and one each for the car and van. And rotate them all, including the spares, regularly. Buy yourself one of those 12V "home" style diy rattle guns.

Phil
AnswerID: 593605

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Wednesday, Dec 09, 2015 at 13:31

Wednesday, Dec 09, 2015 at 13:31
Hi Phil
sound advice not just from you but every one that has contributed the rattle gun we have had for years, and we don't leave home without it, that includes the tyre leavers and bead breaker the plugs and patches, and compressors, and inner tubes.
thank you for your in put.
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 861909

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Wednesday, Dec 09, 2015 at 09:47

Wednesday, Dec 09, 2015 at 09:47
If you are crossing decent distances on gravel (or worse), two spares each for the van and car is worthwhile. But, if going with common wheels for your rig, having 3 spares to share is practical too (wheels are heavy and so is the carrier hardware....reducing weight by one wheel and carrier is not to be dismissed). On my previous rig, I had 3 common spares to share; with the new rig, I'm back to one spare for each vehicle (and they aren't common either....gulp).....because I intend to do a whole lot less gravel travel than past years, I'll run with that for awhile (I do have a tyre plug kit)....after all, in all those years of outback travel, being kitted up for flat tyres and every other misfortune, we had two flats.....but then, we did invest in decent rubber and changed pressures and driving habits, as required. Good luck with the van project.
AnswerID: 593610

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Wednesday, Dec 09, 2015 at 12:51

Wednesday, Dec 09, 2015 at 12:51
Broodie, I really think you have answered your own question................. "I have always carried tubes for the tyres of the vehicles, and never ever had to use them. I have two spare's for the pathfinder, and never used them either,"

From the sound of it, your roads of travel and your driving care afford you reliable tyre performance. So why not just carry the one van spare and a Tyre Plug kit as a backup?
Cheers
Allan

AnswerID: 593619

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Wednesday, Dec 09, 2015 at 13:37

Wednesday, Dec 09, 2015 at 13:37
Hi Alan,
Have you ben talking yo my wife that is exactly what she said not two hours ago. thank you, I think the van could do without the extra 55kg of rubber and rim, then we can add more wine and and and whaterever. lol
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 861910

Reply By: Rangiephil - Wednesday, Dec 09, 2015 at 13:57

Wednesday, Dec 09, 2015 at 13:57
Quote The van builder is not keen to change from 16 wheels to 17 wheels Quote

The diameter of the wheel is really not that important.

The PCD and offset of the van rims should be the same as the towing vehicle which gives you a mobility option if you get stuck in the outback after using your car's spare/s.

In any case the rolling diameter of the tyres is more important. You can get higher profile tyres fitted if you want to match the rolling diameter of the vehicle.

In any case, I think if you were up to your backside in alligators you wouldn't be worried about a cop saying hey you have odd wheels on that axle.

But do a trial run as you might have to GASP! disable the ABS to get to the nearest civilization.
Regards Philip A

AnswerID: 593623

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Wednesday, Dec 09, 2015 at 19:14

Wednesday, Dec 09, 2015 at 19:14
lol well putt Philip, modern technology, the wife two kids and myself , te Cortina station wagon 1977 did the gibb river road, and didn't know we were on it until we got to Wyndham, and found out we came up the hard way, took the wrong turn at Fitzroy crossing, great adventure, kids loved it. ah the memories. thank you.
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 861931

Reply By: Hewy54 - Thursday, Dec 10, 2015 at 08:38

Thursday, Dec 10, 2015 at 08:38
Have wondered lately whether we go overboard on the spares we carry. I always used to carry spare for truck, spare for camper, extra wheel that fits both and an extra tyre, as well as all the tyre repair equipment and a spare set of springs for the camper. In 5 longer trips (Central Aus, Cape York, GRR x2, WA) I have only had one puncture.
If you are careful with your driving, adjust your speed to suit, adjust you tyre pressures you lessen the need for all the spares, and nowdays I only carry the normal spare for the camper and truck (interchangeable). I reckon I have saved 100kgs of extra weight.
That one time in a blue moon that I get 3 punctures in a row that cannot be plugged I will need help from a fellow traveller. I have found the more remote travellers to be more than helpful - I hope Karma plays it part if needed and I will get paid back for all those I have helped out in past if ever I need it.
AnswerID: 593649

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Thursday, Dec 10, 2015 at 11:24

Thursday, Dec 10, 2015 at 11:24
Hi Hewy,
thanks for your input, we have always travelled the same way as yourself this time it is different, and it looks like one spare for the van is going to be the answer,
thank you
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 861951

Reply By: Member - Alastair D (NSW) - Thursday, Dec 10, 2015 at 16:23

Thursday, Dec 10, 2015 at 16:23
Broodie,
One extra thing I carry is an inner tube. Yes we all run tubeless nowadays but if you cut a sidewall or can't plug a puncture then putting a tube in with a patch over the hole is a good last resort.
AnswerID: 593664

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Thursday, Dec 10, 2015 at 19:51

Thursday, Dec 10, 2015 at 19:51
Hi Alastair,
We have always carried inner tubes they are always fun at billabongs creeks and lakes and also in case of emergency, always have had two for the vehicle and two for the van. and that will always be our way of travelling as I cant see any reason to change. thank you for your in put and thoughts.
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 861965

Reply By: The Bantam - Saturday, Dec 12, 2015 at 17:11

Saturday, Dec 12, 2015 at 17:11
One spare or two ......... I'll ask you one question.

Are ya feelin' lucky?

cheers
AnswerID: 593732

Follow Up By: PeterInSa - Saturday, Dec 12, 2015 at 17:54

Saturday, Dec 12, 2015 at 17:54
Re (Are ya feelin' lucky?)

At least 2 spares for the Tug, depending upon where I am going maybe more and 2 spares for the Tandem van. Also carry a set of plugs etc.

Have had punctures going across the Nullabor and out from Hay.

Peter
FollowupID: 862039

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Saturday, Dec 12, 2015 at 17:54

Saturday, Dec 12, 2015 at 17:54
It is impractical for me to carry a second spare for my hybrid camper (single axle). There's no room at the front and structurally it cannot hang off the back. So there is only ever just one.

I carry two for the tug. The logic of one spare for each axle in the rig seems ok to me.

I also carry a comprehensive tyre repair kit plus a one tube each for tug and camper.

If I had a dual axle van, I would make sure I could carry two spares for it - ie, a spare for each axle.
FrankP

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 593734

Sponsored Links