Mt Ziel Mc Donnell Ra. Photos/info?

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 16, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1311 Views:3267 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Anybody been to Mt Ziel west of Alice? I plan to climb it in the next year or 2 and am having trouble getting local info. Its the Highest Mt in the
NT bound to be an interesting view and micro climate. (over 5000')
thanks Kezza Qld.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob - Monday, Jun 17, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Jun 17, 2002 at 00:00
Kezza
as in all of these things getting permission is going to be your major obstacle. You will need to get a permit from the Central Land Council (www.clc.org.au). As this will take a long time I'd start now. The west macs are breathtaking in their beauty. I can see why Albert Namatjira devoted most of his effort into painting lanscapes of this region. Last year I chartered a small plane out of Alice and just flew around the major landmarks with the camera rolling -magic. Best of luck.
Bob
AnswerID: 4223

Reply By: Kezza - Monday, Jun 17, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Jun 17, 2002 at 00:00
Thanks Bob, yeah thats why Im asking questions now nothing worse than getting to 30 ks of your destination and finding the objective unreachable.
Common 4wdrivers problem these days.
kes
AnswerID: 4224

Follow Up By: Trev B - Wednesday, Jul 24, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Jul 24, 2002 at 00:00
kezza.........just read your post
i was at mt ziel in 91'........camped about 2km from the base (not sure whether it was legal at the time) and woke up to spectacular views, it took me ages to leave the place...just didnt want to let it go.....
i hope to get there again in the next 1-2 years, so your post has answered one of my questions too about permits to the summit..
cheers........trev b
FollowupID: 2180

Sponsored Links