Pooncarie NSW westward to the Silver City Hwy

Submitted: Tuesday, Dec 15, 2015 at 01:44
ThreadID: 131129 Views:2210 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hello,

Considering driving from Wentworth to Pooncarie, then directly west across the Old Broken Hill Rd/Silver City Hwy around Nearie Lake/Niala Lake, then up to Broken Hill.

Was just wondering whether the stretch west from Pooncarie was OK for 2WD? I can see on the aerial photos that there is a haul road from a mine about 50km west of Pooncarie, so I reckon I would be alright from there (in the dry), just those 50km I have no idea of condition.

Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mick O - Tuesday, Dec 15, 2015 at 16:46

Tuesday, Dec 15, 2015 at 16:46
Yes, you'll have no issues Warren. Cross the Darling and take the High Darling Road north past Mullingar and then follow it as it turns to the west (Polia Road runs off to the right and heads north). It skirts across the top of the mine and becomes Nob Road which you follow down to meet and turn right on the Old Roo Roo Road down to Nearie Lakes Reserve. You'll cross the regulator on the western side of Nearie Lake and not long after meet the Old Broken Hill Road. Turning right will take you west to the Silver City Hwy south of Lake Nalia or you can continue north to meet the SCH on the southern side of Lake Polpiltah.

These are all station country roads and are generally well maintained as they have to accommodate large trucks and machinery during harvest and shearing times (or to haul out goats). Popiltah is a good place to camp but a bit noisy with trucks heading past. I prefer to get into the bush on the left hand side of the SCH about 500 metres past the Popiltah rest area. You'll see a gravel scrape and dam there with a good track driving in about a km along a flat.

It will be very dry and hot out there so if you're doing this in the near future, take plenty of water with you. I don't know what flow got down the darling this year so have no idea if there is water in the lakes or the Annabranch.

Cheers

Mick

''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 593832

Reply By: Dave B ( ADL) - Thursday, Dec 17, 2015 at 20:23

Thursday, Dec 17, 2015 at 20:23
As long as it's dry, those roads will be ok for 2wd.
The haul road will have triple road trains doing about 80 kph along there throwing up stones all over the place with so many wheels, so give them a bit of room.

Cheers
Dave
'Wouldn't be dead for quids'

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 593906

Sponsored Links