Has anybody lost this ?

Submitted: Tuesday, Dec 15, 2015 at 10:09
ThreadID: 131132 Views:3205 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
If so it might cost you a fine to get it back.

Last weekends little 4wd adventure took the form of driving down a massively overgrown track towards a beach near Inverloch Victoria.

It was not quite wide enough for the car and consisted of dozens of sawn off ends of tea tree branches covered in bits re-growth which prevented you from seeing the sawn off ends.

Probably should have expected that as there was a disused road closed sign at the start but gates were open and tyre tracks were somewhat fresh.

I was taking it glacially slow after the first 1/2 dozen rear vision mirror flick backs but then the occasional deep rut would throw you offline and make one forever thankful that the cars a few years old now .

Thanks to electric chainsaws, we got to what was once an old carpark lined with heavy concrete bollards about 300m from the beach which was as far as I figured you could legally go and so we set off on foot to walk to the very remote beach.

While exploring on foot I noticed this object just off the actual beach and figured it must have been washed up and junk.

Imagine my surprize when I pressed a button and it lit up and its voltmeter read 13.

Can't have been there very long as a careful look shows that rust has started to form on
some screws on the front panel.

So the only reason for it to be there was to start a car but there was no access to where it was.

One battery clamp had come off and I could only presume it was used in a hurry and abandoned.

Past the bollards at the end of the track where I had left my car the track disappeared in huge holes and scrub and I considered it seriously undriveable, but who knows, and so the jump starters presence is a mystery.

As a side point I have always wondered how a device like this could claim 900 amps.
I took it home, opened it up and found that it had no special hi-tech anything inside it just your regular 17AH sealed lead acid and no amount of spin could ever make it deliver 900 AMPs for even a second.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John - Tuesday, Dec 15, 2015 at 10:31

Tuesday, Dec 15, 2015 at 10:31
Finders Keepers Robin, LOL.

As to the amperage, the "spin" has already made it deliver 900 amps................
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 593820

Reply By: Ron N - Tuesday, Dec 15, 2015 at 11:14

Tuesday, Dec 15, 2015 at 11:14
Robin - Overstating performance, overstating abilities, and providing specifications that are just plain outright lies, is the hallmark of the Chinese manufacturing industry.

It was probably thrown away in disgust when it wouldn't perform as advertised.

The best find I've ever had was a 2000lb American-built electric boat winch, found by the side of the road at a busy highway intersection.
It had obviously been thrown onto a ute or truck tray and had then slid off as the vehicle went around the intersection corner at excessive speed. I did have to risk my neck in the traffic to retrieve it!

It was completely undamaged and it also had a note included in the box, advising someone to take it to someone else and to collect $200 for it! This was in the late 90's, when $200 bought a bit more than it does now! - and those winches were about $300 to buy new.

I advertised it had been found and I looked for lost ads, but I had no success on both fronts - so the winch now graces my car-carrying trailer, for loading purposes!
AnswerID: 593824

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Tuesday, Dec 15, 2015 at 12:29

Tuesday, Dec 15, 2015 at 12:29
I actually have one of these, the one you found looks like an old model, newer ones have led light.
I use them for PDR (paintless dent repairs) to run the led pdr light and a hot glue gun when needed, also have the 1900amp purple one from SCA.

They are ok for that, the purple one would jump a large 4WD fine the yellow might struggle.
Both use AGM type batteries, but they are fairly low grade, one of my brothers has already gotten to the stage where it won't hole a charge, but desulfation may restore.

The yellow jump pack has an 19 amp/hr battery, the purple has 2 of the same batteries and rated at 38 amp/hr from memory.

Good score, doubt anyone would claim it, embarrassing leaving kit behind, shameful leaving something that you don't want (broken jumper lead ?).
AnswerID: 593827

Reply By: The Landy - Tuesday, Dec 15, 2015 at 13:00

Tuesday, Dec 15, 2015 at 13:00
Hey Robin

Birthday present ;)

Have a good one, Baz
AnswerID: 593828

Reply By: Member - Gordon R - Wednesday, Dec 16, 2015 at 13:13

Wednesday, Dec 16, 2015 at 13:13
Hmmm...it is just me or?? The sign said "Road Closed". You've ignored that and then used a chain saw to cut the vegetation to get through... Another way to get 4WDers a good name? or is it just me??
AnswerID: 593866

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Wednesday, Dec 16, 2015 at 13:46

Wednesday, Dec 16, 2015 at 13:46
Its Xmas so I let you judge Gordon .

I did not however say "Road Closed" I said "Disused Road Closed" and further added that there were gates and they were open.

Actual I do a lot of bush driving in Vic in which its not unusal to come across a forgotten or obviously not relevant sign as many of our tracks are short and subject to temporay trees down etc.

You have to then make a judgement call !
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 862207

Reply By: Member - rooster350 - Friday, Dec 18, 2015 at 09:40

Friday, Dec 18, 2015 at 09:40
A "disused road closed sign" to me does not necessarily mean that the road is closed, perhaps it was ..once or at some time, but with an open gate and reasonably fresh tracks one would be entitled to believe that the road was indeed open...and explore it, I certainly would...cheers
AnswerID: 593924

Sponsored Links