Installing Terracan Accessories

Submitted: Monday, May 24, 2004 at 13:28
ThreadID: 13114 Views:5513 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Greetings,

I've noted that some guys on the forum have Terracans. Well I too have joined the ranks of what appears to be a rather exclusinve club, and am hoping that we may be able to share some experiences/info re these vehicles?

We've only done a couple of hundred K's so far so it's a bit early to give my impressions other than that I enjoy driving the beast and just hope that the experience continues without too much hassle.

I will need to set about installing an electric brake controller, HF radio and switched DC to the caravan. Has anyone done this yet and if so have you any tips? For example, where did you pick up an accessory/ignition on hot lead to run relays (hopefully without hacking into the wiring loom)? Any thoughts on aerial mounts etc.

Cheers to existing Terracan owners. I would also be interested in becoming involved in some sort of Terracan club/group.

Doug
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Jimbo - Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 18:20

Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 18:20
Doug,

I get mine either Friday or Monday. Have already specified different tyres and a dual battery system (was that fun). It would be great to share ideas eg I could save someone hours of research on a dual battery system.

There are others interested eg Bigfella/Brian, Saggy and others. I we can get half a dozen or so to each kick in 20 or 30 bucks, I can get my son to set up a website.

Try typing Terracan into search, be sure to tick both boxes, topic and body, and there is some interesting stuff.

Jim.
AnswerID: 60102

Reply By: Doug Itchy Feet - Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 12:14

Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 12:14
Hi Jim,

Thanks for your reply. I hope the delivery goes OK.

I've had some more thoughts on the issue of where to install the accessories I mentioned. Seems to me that as I don't smoke I don't need the front ash tray (it slides out like a little drawer with an integrated cigarette lighter).

The cigarette lighter power is switched on at either Accessory or Ignition On so it would be a good point to trigger accessory relays. There's probably room for the electric brake controller and HF radio head in that area of the dash/console if the ash tray is removed.

As to a Terracan website... it might be just a well to stick with a forum such as this for the time being as it may be difficult to attract owners to a dedicated website? On a forum like this there's plenty of 'passing traffic' to stumble upon the Terracan issues.

Cheers

Doug
AnswerID: 60222

Follow Up By: Geep - Friday, May 28, 2004 at 22:36

Friday, May 28, 2004 at 22:36
Doug, regarding installing your HF radio....ensure you use clean power to operate it, draw directly from the battery (main battery if you are running dual) with an inline fuse. You will get less interference especially when in remote areas.
As for the antenna, best place is probably centre of roof but as this is not usually an option it is ok to mount it on the bullbar...if you dont have a bullbar then consider staying in the suburbs!!!, not kidding, I have heard of a Terracan that hit a 'Roo, damage wasnt that bad but owner was up the creek with repairs....parts were the problem.
I used to have similar issues when I first got my Cherokee but now (6 years) later most common parts are made locally and the dealer base is quite widespread.
Terracans have received a mixed reception within the motoring faternity, most common issues seem to be limited ground clearance and standard tyres (car type), they certainly seem to offer value for money, I just hope they are better then the absolute rubbish this manufacturer tunrns out in the way of cars.
Paul...(Geep)
Briz
FollowupID: 322287

Reply By: terracan tim - Saturday, May 29, 2004 at 11:40

Saturday, May 29, 2004 at 11:40
Just pickup my new terracan on friday impressed with it so far like wise only done about 200kms put the boat on it and was suprised it towed it better than my old GQ Patrol kids love it as well I would like to no about the dual battery as we are heading to the NT to live soon and have quite a few assessory to add to it eg DVD player 3x LCD screens fridge does anyone know where you can get seat covers for the back 2 seats and the middle seat as I have young kids and with the black interior its going to show every spill

Thanks Tim
AnswerID: 60752

Sponsored Links