Doing the Simmo in July 2016 ? Read this.

Submitted: Thursday, Dec 17, 2015 at 19:15
ThreadID: 131148 Views:2626 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I see from a thread on 4WDA forum the organisers have to close Big Red for the 2016 Big Red Bash (and likely beyond for future BRB events).

I'd say they are going to post it here sometime, but what the heck, it's up here now for anyone planning a July trip (very popular month).

The info posted there . . .
___

The Big Red Bash is held at the base of Big Red, 35km west of Birdsville. The concert venue, the Big Red dune and surrounding access tracks are all on private land. The concert is getting bigger each year and organisers expect around 5000 visitors in July 2016. Anyone there in July 2015 will have noticed it got very busy on top with lots of kids and adults and 4WDs roaring up and over and in amongst the crowds. The combination of a large crowd, lots of kids and 4WDs in close proximity was an accident waiting to happen. Consequently, after consultation with the land owners, Council and Qld Police the organisers have been asked to close Big Red for the duration of the concert for safety reasons.

Big Red will be closed from 12 noon Monday 4/7/16 to 6:30am Thursday 7/7/16.
Little Red is two kilometres south of Big Red and will be open for the entire period for vehicles driving between Birdsville and the Simpson.

If planning a desert crossing and if you want to cross Big Red please time your trip to avoid the closure dates or give yourselves extra time in Birdsville so you can go out afterwards to have some fun.

www.bigredbash.com.au
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: The Explorer - Thursday, Dec 17, 2015 at 19:28

Thursday, Dec 17, 2015 at 19:28
Some additional info (on the Bash) in a recent thread..

Big Red Bash 2016 details and camping arrangements

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 593905

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Thursday, Dec 17, 2015 at 20:28

Thursday, Dec 17, 2015 at 20:28
I put this up on 4x4 Earth too, and it was already posted on 4WDA forum by the organiser, but someone on Earth sowed the seed in my head asking why not have it on Little Red and keep Big Red open ??

Well, thinking more on it why not just have it 200m / 300m further north (or south, but north is away from BR and access between).

It would still be a dramatic backdrop, and the lake area is still there for camping, the kids and adults still have a car free dune to climb, and the environment will be unharmed as we all know the dunes are blown over pretty quick.

Something for the organisers to consider, if not for 2016, then 2017 and beyond ??
AnswerID: 593907

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Thursday, Dec 17, 2015 at 22:22

Thursday, Dec 17, 2015 at 22:22
Les,

I went up on big Red the first afternoon for a look, after setting up camp. Walked up there, and wasn't sure if I was going to make it! :-)

While it wasn't dangerous to be up there, most of the moving vehicles were coming up the western slope, there seemed to be a distinct lack of supervision of many of the children there. Some people seemed oblivious of moving vehicles, and it would only need a "weekend warrior" or two, and the risk factor would have increased. I didn't go up there again, but on later days there seemed to be a lot more vehicular activity, especially some attempts to climb the eastern face.

Sounds like there may have been complaints from this years Bash? Or they might be doing a Qld Main Roads thing, if a section of road deteriorates, or is sub-standard, they wack an 80kph limit on it, or less, for a lengthy time.

From what I remember they could move the venue north by a km or so, and still have the same atmosphere.

Don't think "Little Red Bash" would have the same financial ring to it, that the "Big Red" has, Les. :-)
Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 593913

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Thursday, Dec 17, 2015 at 23:39

Thursday, Dec 17, 2015 at 23:39
Lol, yeah Bob, or maybe the '200m up from Big Red Bash' . . . just doesn't have the same ring to it :D

I agree that it could get risky if it was left as it was this July when I was it, although in saying that I was quite pleased with the way pedestrians kept in the flagged areas so there was a vehicle path up the several routes.
Once topped out though I saw a bit of a bad mix of peple wandering, and iwth vehicles also doing this, there could be an accident waiting to happen.

From the numbers of Police up on tip, I'd say the possible recommendation may have come from their way, I'm sure some would have easily noticed what I did with the mix, or perhaps the Bah insurers got more involved and they would also see the risks I'm sure.
FollowupID: 862238

Sponsored Links