Place Comment: Palm Springs

Hi I just looked at the place in EO, Palm Springs.
The description says, "caution is advised with the possibility of crocs in the nearby Black Elvire River".
Does anyone have experience of crocs in the area?
I would have thought it to far south for Estuarine crocs? Maybe Johnstone's crocs?
Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Gronk - Friday, Dec 18, 2015 at 10:16

Friday, Dec 18, 2015 at 10:16
I was going to say possibly Alligators, but being in the desert of Califoria, probably not !! LOL
AnswerID: 593927

Follow Up By: Member - John - Friday, Dec 18, 2015 at 12:13

Friday, Dec 18, 2015 at 12:13
Should be in Fridays Funny's.........................
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 862245

Reply By: The Explorer - Friday, Dec 18, 2015 at 12:40

Friday, Dec 18, 2015 at 12:40
Hello Alan

I have no first hand knowledge on this area but NatureMap and ALA show a record of the freshwater crocodile at Halls Creek (from 1999), which is upstream from the Black Elvire River.

There are no records of the saltwater crocodile anywhere near here which is not surprising. The area falls within the catchment of the Ord River, which ultimately flows into Lake Argyle. There are no salties above the dam wall AFAIK.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 593934

Follow Up By: gbc - Friday, Dec 18, 2015 at 20:34

Friday, Dec 18, 2015 at 20:34
FYI

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/wa/a/6988805/fatal-crocodile-attack-inevitable/

There was also an article in the Aust geo a few years back with a couple of kayakers doing a survey above the lake in the ord and they found a few too if I remember correctly.
FollowupID: 862262

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Saturday, Dec 19, 2015 at 13:33

Saturday, Dec 19, 2015 at 13:33
Well there you go

I also found this ...

"Salties can survive in Lake Argyle and the occasional small one has been found entangled in fishermens’ nets, the largest being approximately 1.5 metres long! It is believed these are only small individuals that have traveled long distances overland during a big wet season and have ended up in the lake. There is no evidence of Saltwater Crocodiles breeding in Lake Argyle. The Locals consider the lake safe, but obviously swimming is totally at your own risk!"

Does not seem to bother these guys...Lake Argyle Swim

So by the sounds of it you may get the occasional small one but it would seem unlikely they would head upstream very far, if at all and certainly wouldn't make it to Black Elvire River/Palm Springs. Way too far and most of the inland river system is dry...most of the time.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 862297

Follow Up By: equinox - Saturday, Dec 19, 2015 at 14:53

Saturday, Dec 19, 2015 at 14:53
Thanks Greg and Gbc - I'll be on the look out next time I'm up that way

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 862303

Sponsored Links